Gransnet forums

Chat

Sister asking for money

(99 Posts)
fizzers Thu 08-Aug-19 09:09:24

Not really wanting advice, just wanting to offload.

Out of the blue last night, my sister messaged me asking to borrow money. I said no immediately and gave her some reason why not. I feel really bad as she is my only sister and I don't have much in the way of family.

My reasoning is:

A. I have a very limited income and can't afford it.
B. She has more money coming into her household than I do.
C. She has borrowed money in the past and never paid it back, in fact avoided me for several months.

It unfortunately opened up a can of worms in my head, years and years ago, when I was a struggling single parent she borrowed money from me just before Christmas, the only money I had was electricity bill money, she never paid that back and I had to use Christmas money topay that bill. I never forgave her for that.

Last year when my elderly mother was dying in hospital I lent her £40, never got that back, wasn't too bothered about that as I had other things on my mind. I also know that she (and my nieces) regularly used to go to my mam for money for this bill or that bill. Mum's not here now to bail her and the others out am just hoping she doesn't start coming to me because the answer is going tobe a resounding No

I told my daughter and she is awa re of the past , she said I did the right thing, but that doesn't stop me from feeling bad about it.

Magrithea Sun 11-Aug-19 17:39:51

Why are you feeling guilty? You've given her 3 perfectly good reasons and she has 'form' for not repaying loans!

Lumarei Sun 11-Aug-19 00:30:48

Tell your sister that you will consider lending her money, once she has repaid her previous debts she owes you.

She probably doesn’t even know why you don’t want to lend her money. Tell her what you told us above.

Rene72 Fri 09-Aug-19 10:59:57

Don’t bother or stress about it. My sister was the same, always borrowing large and small amounts and tenner every week, yet I once forgot my purse and asked her if she had enough to lend me for a cup of coffee, she did, 2 days later she asked for it back. I never lent her another penny after that. I always made sure I only just had enough in my purse for myself. She went to my mum every week after that always boring a tenner despite mum giving her £20 for pocket money for the kids. We also. At first, got a local greengrocer to bag up a load of fruit and veg which I picked up every Friday and took to her house. I stopped sharing that cost too. Her husband was an alcoholic and I found out she borrowed the money to buy his booze, she even got my daughter to babysit but he sexually assaulted her, which made me angry with her because she didn’t tell me for years. All I knew was she didn’t want to babysit anymore! Once the money dries up they don’t care about you anymore, my sister hasn’t bothered with me for years!

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 09-Aug-19 10:55:15

I've only lent twice and been paid back with no reminders. I wasn't asked but knew it would get her through a difficult time. Since, I've been been by myself, she has been my rock emotionally. Always there for long phone calls. We live 300 miles apart. She took days of her holiday this year to help my husband look after me when I'd had a bad injury.

So yes there are times when there are circumstances when I would lend. But, as others have said fizzers , if I was in your shoes I would have done exactly the same and said "No".

You've been so kind and caring to your daughter. I hope she knows this and doesn't abuse your relationship again. Time to think of yourself fizzers.

tickingbird Fri 09-Aug-19 10:32:02

I understand you’re probably just venting but I don’t know why you’re even having a nanoseconds doubt. She has repeatedly let you down in the past and thinks she can continue to do so. I have come across people like this before and they have no conscience and know exactly what they’re doing. If she asks why then tell her the truth. Stop being a doormat.

Shropshirelass Fri 09-Aug-19 08:55:25

Don't feel bad, you have done exactly the right thing. I have said no to my family in the past, you are not a bank for your sister. Good luck.

janeayressister Fri 09-Aug-19 08:02:12

It is useless lending anyone money. We never lend it, but always give it, ( if we have to )
If the sister in this case has a history of taking your hard earned cash and not giving it back....then it’s a no brainer.

rizlett Fri 09-Aug-19 04:18:25

So you feel bad about saying no. Which everyone is entitled to say - to anything.

It might be helpful to explore why you might be picking up and attaching guilt in this situation. Guilt is a strange thing and often has an origin completely at odds to the current situation. It's ok to say no and also ok not to feel bad about it.
Unless you choose to do so.

Juliepuk Thu 08-Aug-19 22:44:45

"Neither a borrower or a lender be" an old saying which still rings true. IMHO she is overstepping the mark particularly if her income is bigger and she never repays the debt. My sister sponged off my parents for years and regularly took money for herself from my Dad's account when he was in a care home at the end of his life. It left a very sour taste and we are now estranged. You do right to stop this idea that she can ask before it grows into a bigger issue.

nana15 Thu 08-Aug-19 21:05:11

tell her you love her BUT you only have a low income [even if you have to lie] . some people are lazy or just want,want all the time and they do not pay back when think you have forgotten.
Please be strong even if they have to go elsewhere to borrow it is not your problem. DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR THEM although you love them.It is hard to do but it works,I have tried it.

janywoo Thu 08-Aug-19 20:43:07

"They " say never loan money that you can't afford to lose. You made the right choice.

Summerlove Thu 08-Aug-19 19:25:56

Absolutely the right call. You shouldn’t be in trouble because of her history of poor planning

If it were a one off, that’d be one thing, but she has a history of using you.

Namsnanny Thu 08-Aug-19 19:05:40

Coco1......I'm sorry your son felt the need to treat you this way flowers

keriku Thu 08-Aug-19 19:03:37

Years ago my brother and his first wife would borrow money off me then repay it on payday. One week, I had to say no as I was absolutely skint, he was pretty annoyed, but you know what, he never asked again. They split up due to financial problems. He is on his second marriage and they are both very sensible with money, however his first wife is still useless with money! I don’t think some folk ever learn how to handle money, sad but true. Well don’t on refusing, now just stick to your guns!

GreenGran78 Thu 08-Aug-19 19:00:46

You should have told her that you were a bit short of cash yourself, and we’re just about to ask her to repay the previous loan.

Namsnanny Thu 08-Aug-19 18:59:49

Tiredoldwoman…..So sorry to hear that flowers

fizzers......you did the right thing for all the right reasons [smile}

GillT57 Thu 08-Aug-19 18:46:49

Absolutely the right decision, and you must have realised that when you heard about the day out at the theme park which was planned!

blue60 Thu 08-Aug-19 18:29:25

Don't feel bad - for all the reasons you gave in your post.

DameJudyClench Thu 08-Aug-19 17:18:14

Well done for sticking to your guns. No is no. You don't have to justify it by saying you need the money for something else. It's your money and she's shown from her past actions that she can't be trusted to pay it back.

NannaM Thu 08-Aug-19 16:47:29

Someone wise once told me just say "No. That doesn't work for me".
No more, no less. If she asks why you can tell her the reasons or not, but that sentence usually works as a complete shut down.
No "sorry", no excuses. Just "No. That doesn't work for me".

LucyLastic48 Thu 08-Aug-19 16:39:22

My sister asked me for money out of the blue, last year. I decided not to, as we have always struggled to stay close. I just thought it could add another layer i.e. if I didn't hear from her, like I often don't, it would only make me resent her (more) than I already do (at times).

Pammie1 Thu 08-Aug-19 16:10:14

Just echoing other posts really. You have most definitely done the right thing, but I would add that you now have to do the most difficult part, and that is to stick to your guns. Your sister has gone to your mum in the past , and as you say, your mum is sadly no longer there to help, so she will come to you and I suspect, try to wear you down. She clearly has a track record of financial irresponsibility and you need to send a strong message that she cannot, under any circumstances, expect you to bail her out, especially as you have done it in the past and she made no attempt to pay you back. It’ll be difficult but you have to keep saying no until she gets the message.

Hm999 Thu 08-Aug-19 15:38:41

She has more income than you, and she's on the cadge? Weird

You absolutely did the right thing

Tangerine Thu 08-Aug-19 15:34:23

You've made the right decision.

I have once lent one of my children money. Transparency is the key to not falling out, I believe. I told her siblings that I had lent the money (it was less than £1,000). My daughter knew I told them and agreed.

She knew she had to pay it back and did so £100 per month.

Her siblings know they can ask if it's ever necessary. My daughter was temporarily out of work which was why I helped her and, as soon as she was on her feet again, she repaid me.

The OP's sister is not the type to pay money back.

52bright Thu 08-Aug-19 15:26:12

Wow Gillybob that would sure have embarrassed me at the bank. blush Hope there isn't a next time. If there is I would get your sister to ask your dad herself grin