Gransnet forums

Chat

Got the builders in

(37 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 08-Aug-19 19:01:23

I’ve had workmen in my house for over a month. They have all been nice, considerate and competent.
Of course I keep them supplied with tea, coffee and homemade biscuits and that’s my problem. I have a very sweet tooth and no self control so I’m munching rather a lot and making a fresh batch every other day.
By the time my new bathroom is finished I’ll have gained so much weight that a wider door will be needed.
How can I resist temptation while there must be sweet goodies in the biscuit tin every day?

BlueSapphire Sat 10-Aug-19 13:14:47

I had workmen in for three weeks to completely do two bathrooms. They started on 1st December and left on the 22nd! So it was a quick two days of straightening as I was hosting Christmas for the family. I bought Sainsbury's cheap biscuits and left them upstairs so I wasn't tempted

Of course with it being just before Christmas I had to make mince pies and of course they sampled them! And the sausage rolls as well. Thinking of using the same company for the cloakroom which badly needs doing.

Lilyflower Sat 10-Aug-19 13:22:45

Don't bake special biscuits. Buy a packet or packets of chocky Hobnobs and hand them over. If any are left over (there won't be) throw them in the bin.

EllieB52 Sat 10-Aug-19 13:24:41

Oh. Missed programme about carbs. Just downloading it now.

Helennonotion Sat 10-Aug-19 15:30:11

Aww I feel sorry for some of the builders who get nothing with their hot drinks! I have always considered any workmen I've had in my house as visitors and fed them accordingly! Do you want them clearing off to the shops at regular intervals for snacks! They are human beings you know! Any kindness shown by the OP will be much appreciated I'm sure and anything that makes someones day better is a good thing in my book! As for the willpower thing, I don't have any either when it comes to home baking! Just tell yourself there are no harmful additives or preservatives in them! smile

GreenGran78 Sat 10-Aug-19 15:43:31

My next door neighbour booked to have her kitchen refurbished by a local man, in spite of my warnings. He an excellent workman, and an extremely nice man, but he can't say No to anyone, and always has far too much work to cope with.
Her unmade kitchen units sat in her living-room for several months before he finally got started, and he has, so far, been working on her very small kitchen, off and on, for two months! She has been managing for a lot of that time with a kettle and a microwave. after he removed her cooker. She hasn't helped matter by giving him lunch of very tasty sandwiches and cake whenever he is there, resulting in him sitting chatting over them for at least an hour!
The end, she informs me, is in sight. I would have killed him by now!

tiredoldwoman Sat 10-Aug-19 17:04:14

When I've bought goodies that I think I might pig out on , I leave them in the car . If I see them in the cupboard my eyes light up and I start grunting in delight . Out of sight out of mind ?

Muttimama Sun 11-Aug-19 08:57:58

If you love baking, carry on and put the left over ones of the day in the freezer. They can come out when the grandchildren come! And anyway they never look as nice if they’ve lived in the freezer for a bit, and if you want to eat some you have to defrost first...the waiting time can be used to decide whether you fell better after eating them, or whether you feel better for NOT eating them.

sluttygran Sun 11-Aug-19 12:51:56

I’ve always treated visiting workmen like friends or family. I provide plenty of hot drinks and nice snacks, as it gives me pleasure to do so.
I don’t put much weight on ‘cos these young lads can eat faster than I can bake! grin

Speldnan Sun 11-Aug-19 13:10:22

Don’t give them biscuits! It’s not good for them either. In the US you are not allowed to give drinks and snacks to workmen who come to the house and they don’t expect it ( H and S thing I suppose)

sarahanew Sun 11-Aug-19 18:29:17

Is your new bathroom an upstairs bathroom? If it is, just run up and downstairs more to see how they are getting on and take the tea, sugar and cookies up separately - make up reasons to go up and down more, it excellent exercise. Only allow yourself a treat after a certain number of trips to balance out the calorie intake with the calories burned

Fennel Sun 11-Aug-19 19:45:17

We're expecting them to start tomorrow , which coincides with my hospital appt. for a colonoscopy.
I have to give myself an enema at home about 8 am!
I'm hoping they won't turn up because of the rain.
Husband will have to cope.