Gransnet forums

Chat

Got the builders in

(36 Posts)
M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 17:45:17

I was given some Aldi brand shortbread biscuits, they tasted revolting, I an not sure I would want to foist them on the builders, just because I found them inedible. Even the birds wouldn't eat them!

crystaltipps Fri 09-Aug-19 17:23:20

Get a couple of cheap packets from Aldi or Lidl , put in tin, put on tray with mugs. No reason why you should eat them.

Callistemon Fri 09-Aug-19 17:13:47

Don't bake biscuits that you like - buy them the kind you don't like if you must provide biccies!
I would buy them custard creams (horrible grin)

The plumbers ate all my mince pies last Christmas, DH shared them out. Luckily they were bought ones.

Jane10 Fri 09-Aug-19 16:21:47

STOP baking them goodies!! You're paying them. If you feel you absolutely have to provide comestibles for them just buy cheap biscuits. Or tell them where the nearest Greggs is!!

watermeadow Fri 09-Aug-19 15:43:36

Lots of jobs, the bathroom is just the latest and biggest. i’ve had the roof fixed, complete rewiring, outside painting, lots of carpentry, kitchen units, ground cleared then new shed, new turf, new meters boxed in.
The new bathroom is being build by dividing a bedroom so needs walls, window and everything in it.
A month isn’t unreasonable. I may be making mince pies for workmen before everything’s done!

RosieLeah Thu 08-Aug-19 20:49:48

Promise yourself you'll go on a diet as soon as the work has finished.

SpringyChicken Thu 08-Aug-19 20:45:20

Don't provide them with biscuits, Watermeadow! I keep workmen supplied with drinks but not food. Have you been quoted a fixed price for the work? If not, don't give them any reason to waste time. Our bathroom took four days too, including tiling. A month sounds far too long.

GrandmaKT Thu 08-Aug-19 19:39:12

Perhaps they're spinning it out because of all the homemade biscuits! grin

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Aug-19 19:36:46

Hmmm... my bathroom was gutted and refurbished in four days.
Perhaps the bathroom work is the tail end of other works being done ??

FlexibleFriend Thu 08-Aug-19 19:30:56

Put them where they are working. When I had builders in last year semi demolishing and rebuilding my conservatory I put the kettle, tea, coffee milk and bickies in the conservatory and left them to make their own. You could set up a brew station in the hall near the bathroom and they can make their own and no need for you to be interrupting them. If it's not finished after a month what the hell are they doing. A bathroom remodel shouldn't take longer than a fortnight.

watermeadow Thu 08-Aug-19 19:01:23

I’ve had workmen in my house for over a month. They have all been nice, considerate and competent.
Of course I keep them supplied with tea, coffee and homemade biscuits and that’s my problem. I have a very sweet tooth and no self control so I’m munching rather a lot and making a fresh batch every other day.
By the time my new bathroom is finished I’ll have gained so much weight that a wider door will be needed.
How can I resist temptation while there must be sweet goodies in the biscuit tin every day?