Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you change?

(80 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Sun 11-Aug-19 09:39:28

What would you change re common retail purchases to make it more convenient for you? For example mine would be :

Multipacks of clothes/chocolate/toys on even not odd numbers ( I buy for twins!)

Lyrics printed on inserts of all CD,s (like to sing along sometimes , don’t always know words)

Adult clothes sometimes to be available in in-between sizes ( I am a size 15 bottom)

What would you choose?

Brunette10 Sun 11-Aug-19 11:48:08

Curlywhirly - totally agree with you re size 3 shoes on the top shelf. If you are a size 3 shoe surely to goodness you are quite small/petite. Also in supermarkets they put stuff high up on shelves that my being just short of 5 ft have to ask someone to please get it down for me. Why do they do this argh!!

libra10 Sun 11-Aug-19 11:55:49

I agree with the posts above, adding that bleach, tablets, mouthwash bottles can be incredibly difficult to open - surely something could be invented to make it less difficult.

Also, not being very tall, I wish shoe shops would start more of their sizes at 2, and also more petite ranges. Bon Marche do a great range of shorter leg trousers, but their tops can be on the long side.

Mumben Sun 11-Aug-19 11:57:37

I find plus sizes are a lot wider but not longer, which is what I need!

nanamac77 Sun 11-Aug-19 11:57:45

Hear, hear Ninathenana and others. It's not just OS clothes which have sleeves which dangle off my fingertips, but practically all. I have to search for so called 3/4 length ones or ones which can be turned up. Well, pulled up, I mean, as I'm useless at the simplest sewing task,
And why do supermarkets stock products in piles on high shelves? I either have to search for someone tall enough to help or risk bringing down a pile of boxes/tins on my head when I try to dislodge them. Perhaps i should wear a safety helmet!

jaylucy Sun 11-Aug-19 11:57:56

The instructions on the bottom of ready meals/ microwaveable food
Actual standard sizes in clothes that are the same, wherever they come from - and for manufacturers to stick with it, not change it after a couple of years
Non stick pans to be actually non stick even after being washed a couple of times
In store supermarket bakeries to put the bread in bags that don't rip after being opened once ( same goes for bread rolls - it's fine if catering for 4 or 6 but if on your own and use 1 roll at a time, they've gone stale and dry by the next day)
Quieter background music on tv programmes so you can actually hear the dialogue
Packs of briefs/socks in 7s so that you at least get a weeks worth in one pack - handy when you go on holiday!

Bazza Sun 11-Aug-19 12:11:52

Instructions printed in teeny tiny microscopic writing.

Many shoe manufacturers have a wider fit option, what about those of us with narrow feet?

Sizing!! I have sizes ranging from a 10 to 16 in my wardrobe, all the same size. Which is ??

Amagran Sun 11-Aug-19 12:30:24

Nanny41 and Minniemoo, there is a reason why pills now come in blister packs (irritating though they are) rather than little bottles. There was apparently a significant drop in pill-related drug suicides when the change was made. The struggles we have getting the pills out, also gives those who have reached their darkest place, time to reflect rather than impulsively emptying a bottle into their mouths.

NotSpaghetti Sun 11-Aug-19 12:30:42

When fresh fruit and vegetable shopping I wish they would give a minimum weight per pack of those items they decide to sell by number. For example, pack of 6 tomatoes with a price for 6. On the shelf it will say 13p each (or whatever). Some years ago these packets had minimum weights on them but no more. It's really hard to work out the kilo price in order to compare products.

Caro57 Sun 11-Aug-19 12:34:59

I think Next are doing in between sizes on some things I.e. 11,13,15 etc

b1zzle Sun 11-Aug-19 12:43:17

Echo size 12 - 14 comments and would add adult instructions on child-proof packaging. I love Fairy pods but can't get in to the box!

Nonnie Sun 11-Aug-19 12:49:13

Good luck with the sizing! I have M & S trousers which fit me in sizes 10, 12 & 14! On Monday I bought a blouse from the same manufacturer as the one I was wearing and it is a size bigger, same fit. The dress I bough was a different size.

I have been ranting about small sizes being out of reach for years. Recently I was in the White Company looking at blouses in their sale. 2 rails, big sizes on the bottom rail and I couldn't reach the small sizes on the top. I asked for an explanation and it turns out that if the longer ones are on the top they get in the way of the hangers on the bottom. I asked why they couldn't change the rails, she said they could!

Same used to be the case in M & S with tights and bras, don't know if it still is.

Can we have summer dresses with sleeves please?

grannybuy Sun 11-Aug-19 14:00:38

With arthritic hands, I'm finding some packaging almost impossible. It generates a lot of swearing!! The plastic labelling that goes most of the way round the trays really gets me going! I also can't see the sense in instructions being on the underside. I'd like more paper bags. I keep the ones that I get with prescriptions, and re-use. At the moment, I'm using them for the veg and potatoes in my fridge. I could do with size 11 clothes. I'm actually still wearing an M & S top that is a 13 (35 1/2 chest). How old must it be?

nipsmum Sun 11-Aug-19 14:11:37

Could instructions on food packaging be made legible without needing a spotlight and magnifying glass. I have stopped buying certain goods as I can't read the cooking instructions.

nanamac77 Sun 11-Aug-19 14:34:03

Ditto,grannybuy. Some of the bleach bottles where you have to squeeze in the sides whilst turning the cap are impossible for arthritic hands.
And likewise, I find myself utterly frustrated by some plastic containers of fresh soup. I'm supposed to know whether to push tab down, lever it up or attack it with every kitchen implement I own. When I finally do get into it I'm in such a rage that I haven't a clue how I did it, so go through the same frustration the next time!

Helennonotion Sun 11-Aug-19 14:59:04

Please can we have more summer clothes with just a little sleeve!! 90% of summer clothing seems to be completely sleeveless. I don't want them down to my elbow, just a small one to cover up that crepey bit just past your underarms! Agree also with the 12/14 16/18 stuff. Its either too small or too big. Oh and stop putting best before dates on fruit and veg! I know people who throw away perfectly good produce because the packaging says its out of date! Some stuff can last for weeks and weeks! Possibly months in the right conditions.

Bijou Sun 11-Aug-19 15:38:56

Having arthritic hands I detest the way supermarket meat and fish is packed in trays and blister packed.
Child proof packaging. Wasn’t around when I was a child.
Lack of loose fruit and veg. I only need a couple of carrots and onions etc not a kilo.
More dresses and tops suitable for older women and mid sizes.
I have to do a lot of on line shopping and as well as the goods I have ordered having excess wrapping there is piles of junk mail.
Also ingredients listed in such small print impossible to read without magnifying glass.

RosieLeah Sun 11-Aug-19 15:44:57

To realise that we don't all get wider feet when we are older. My feet have always been narrow and still are.

Fatter people are not always taller than thin ones. (It seems the higher the size, the longer the length.)

Many of us prefer a coat to button all the way up to the neck. We don't all want our chests exposed to the winter wind.

Hetty58 Sun 11-Aug-19 15:49:03

For convenience (and the environment) get rid of all the ridiculous, impossible to open packaging! I've had to attack packets with the tin opener - it's mad!

Over and above convenience, though, how about slowing the destruction of our dying planet? A bit more important I think. I bulk buy ethical recycled loo roll, degradable bin bags etc. from here:

www.ethicalsuperstore.com/

FarNorth Sun 11-Aug-19 15:59:28

Those who are 'odd' sizes, isn't that compensated for by the sizes given being fairly meaningless?

GabriellaG54 Sun 11-Aug-19 16:07:28

H&M to do a size 7 shoe and not jump from 6.5 to 7.5.
Manufacturers to realise that clothes don't need longer arm lengths commensurate with size.

GabriellaG54 Sun 11-Aug-19 16:10:25

Biscuit packaging.
Usually have to use knife or teeth ?

Yorkshiregirl Sun 11-Aug-19 16:14:58

I believe Next are now doing inbetween sizes

Day6 Sun 11-Aug-19 16:21:46

I wish so many garments for women didn't have slogans on them, or sparkly bits or cutesy bears etc. I'll do sparkly things at Christmas and I do not want people to stare at (and read) my chest when I am wearing a T shirt.

I also think buyers have no idea which sizes sell out quickest. When I shop for clothes there are loads of small sizes on the racks but finding anything over a size 14 is almost impossible. Sales garments are always tiny or huge too. Isn't there a lesson there?

I am another who feels she needs a magnifying glass to read cooking instructions on some food packaging. It's ridiculous.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 11-Aug-19 16:32:10

I agree about the length of sleeves in clothing, I just thought it was my arms had got shorter.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 11-Aug-19 17:02:27

I would make sure that the Instructions for Use with anything that has them were printed in at least font size 14. DH and I have just spent an infuriating day trying to decipher the instructions for a sliding door that were printed in font 6. We finished up with the magnifying reading lamp, good thing we had one! They weren't available online either, so we were stuck.

Go back to the days were cleaning agents and other household liquids which are not meant to be ingested were bottled in bottles with ordinary screw-top lids and you bought the child-proof ones if you needed them. Now they are all sold with child-proof lids that no-one my age can undo!

Likewise get rid of all the cellophane and plastic packaging that you more or less need a pickaxe get into.