Gransnet forums

Chat

Stinky Curtains

(51 Posts)
Willow500 Mon 12-Aug-19 07:54:54

Help! My husband is driving me mad complaining about his newish curtains smelling like sweat. They're blackout curtains and have only had minimum use (second home) but every time he's here he says the same thing whenever he goes near them even blaming the cat at one point. Like Victor Meldrew in frustration I've told him not to go near the bloody curtains grin I've hardly any smell so can't tell what he's talking about but I need to shut him up so does anyone have any magic solutions to get rid of it. I'm guessing it's something to do with the lining but as they're dry clean only I can't wash them. I wondered if I could spray them with a diluted fabric conditioner?

Jimjam1 Fri 23-Aug-19 16:09:48

Tell HIM to wash them.

mymadeupname Mon 19-Aug-19 10:54:15

That makes sense about the sun causing the smell, that had never occurred to me. Our bedroom was south facing and had the sun most of the day. A 'biscuity old mop wet dog' smell is a good description!

We're in a north facing bedroom now so I might give them another go - the light does disturb me in the early mornings.

Sleepygran Mon 12-Aug-19 20:26:40

I tried washing some back out lining curtains and it was a disaster!
Try febreze?

Willow500 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:16:22

grin Alima

Willow500 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:14:41

I've just read all the complaints on the FB page - seems the sun is a big clue - both bedrooms get it all morning - possibly his being navy blue might absorb more heat than my cream ones (if I remember from my science lessons dark absorbs heat and white reflects it). I doubt Dunelm will change them after a year but with all the complaints they will hopefully have contacted the manufacturers to review which chemicals are used in the process.

Irene16 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:08:43

I had this problem with blackout curtains. It grew stronger every day If you Google blackout curtains and smell you will see it's a widespread problem. Only occurs with some curtains though. I have a sensitive nose and the smell was truly yuk. Like old digestive biscuits, dog, baked beans and wet mop! I hung curtains outside thinking they would air and the smell would go. It didnt. I took them back to the well known store beginning with D and the till person smelt them and refunded me. On a positive note I did manage to buy another pair of blackout curtains that didn't smell. Don't put up with them. I was worried about the chemical in the linings that was affecting the air being breathed in the bedroom.

Jeannietea Mon 12-Aug-19 18:50:36

Bicarbonate of soda is great for removing smells. If you sprinkle the curtains with dry bicarbonate and then give them a good shake, this could solve your problem.

H1954 Mon 12-Aug-19 18:02:25

The rubber coating on blackout linings can begin to crack when put n the washing machine. I would be tempted to wipe the surface with a damp cloth and a nice smelling detergent. Hope this helps.

4allweknow Mon 12-Aug-19 17:41:16

It may be a reaction to heat in the fabric. Go with the Febreeze suggestion to see if that sorts it.

JGTHGO Mon 12-Aug-19 17:21:49

I worked on a hospital department that had vertical blinds that smelt of sweat no one else seemed to be bothered about it

Pudding123 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:52:41

Alima ,love your comment.Gabriella 54 your comments usually end up in some altercation ha ha

BazingaGranny Mon 12-Aug-19 16:23:22

It’s difficult if one of you can smell something and the other can’t. I think try washing the curtains and if they shrink, etc, recycle them and get some more inexpensive washable curtains. I’ve seen some amazing and inexpensive curtains in charity shops or in some of the cheaper department stores. Or get a blind instead.

?

Alima Mon 12-Aug-19 15:18:22

I love the idea of spraying them with your invisible deodorant Willow. How on earth do you find it?

ayokunmi1 Mon 12-Aug-19 15:11:14

I really sympathise with your husband I have this sensitivity and bought some black out curtains for the bed room
What a horrible smell..Im not sure of the chemical that was used but my gosh.The smell cant be described in the end we took them down and washed them.Ruined the pair but by that time I couldnt be bothered.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 15:09:43

If it's a chemical in the make-up of the fabric, nothing's gonna shift it. Except possibly, time.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 12-Aug-19 15:05:24

Let H sort it out. He is the one with the complaint not you.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 15:04:08

loads of complaints here!

I think it's probably in the bonding.

Duvetdiva Mon 12-Aug-19 14:51:32

As Rose30 said it’s the sun that caused the smell. I lined my curtains with a blackout lining and they do give off an unpleasant smell when the sun is on them. I presume that your husbands room gets more sunshine than yours.

mymadeupname Mon 12-Aug-19 14:32:47

In our last bedroom we had (separate) blackout linings which I noticed had a bad smell - so it's not just your H. I never solved it really, just lots of open windows for fresh air and I think I did give them an occasional spray of Febreze.

Curlywhirly Mon 12-Aug-19 14:00:59

Were they from Dunelm? Because if you read some of the reviews for their blackout curtains, some make reference to the unpleasant smell. I'd try the tumble drier trick before you wash them, it might just work. Good luck.

merlotgran Mon 12-Aug-19 13:51:48

I can recommend Sainsbury's softener sheets. Nice refreshing smell. Lenor makes everything smell like a care home.

Willow500 Mon 12-Aug-19 12:46:27

Great advise thanks - especially about the peg grin He uses a c-pap machine during the night for his sleep apnea so I'm sure he can't be smelling it all night! Once I can get them down I will try the tumble drier trick first before putting them in the washer. They weren't expensive so if the worst comes to the worst I'll resign them to the garage for just sheets and get some more (making sure he gives them a good sniff before I pay for them grin ).

Dillyduck Mon 12-Aug-19 11:50:36

Ignore the do not wash label, and wash them. I use blackout lining in all the bedrooms, have done so for about 40 years now. You have nothing to lose, either you have your husband moaning, buy new curtains, or wash them.
I would suggest that you wash them one at a time, with liquid detergent and some fabric softener. Ideally on a no heat wash and no spin. Then drip dry them, possibly over your shower rail.

Theoddbird Mon 12-Aug-19 11:47:53

Give him a peg for his nose....

jaylucy Mon 12-Aug-19 11:35:51

I think that whatever you do to them, your husband will still say they smell, so donate to charity and get new ones with a separate lining, making sure that they are wide enough to stretch outside the window edge, or replace with a blind.