Gransnet forums

Chat

If you had just bought your old feller some clothes for his holiday from JD Williams...

(113 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:19:34

... (having given up on Marks and Sparks) and they were made in Bangladesh, would you wash them before he wears them?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:20:15

Or just bung 'em in the suitcase?

SueDonim Tue 13-Aug-19 14:24:01

Nope, I wouldn't. I'm not sure why being made in Bangladesh would make any difference.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:28:15

Well, it's a cheap brand isn't it? Huge factories. Maybe stuff would get thrown on the floor.

Or perhaps, I am obviously being totally racist. Obviously. hmm

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:28:51

Very obviously. Obviously.

Alima Tue 13-Aug-19 14:39:17

Where is M&S stuff made nowadays? Only asking. Is JD Williams a cheap brand? If so, wouldn’t wash the new holiday stuff as if liable to shrink the poor old fellow won’t get any wear out of the new stuff at all. Without looking simple that is.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:41:03

Well, this lot was cheap cos it was mostly in the sale.

Wish I hadnt asked now.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:41:15

THREAD CLOSED

SueDonim Tue 13-Aug-19 14:43:57

confused

M0nica Tue 13-Aug-19 15:00:22

Once opened a thread is open until GNHQ closes it down or it runs out of steam.

I never buy clothes for DH, unless, under his direction I buy some as a present. If he ends up anywhere with insufficient or inappropriate clothes, that is his problem. He is an adult and not a child.

Clothes get dropped on the floor wherever they are made and all along the price spectrum. Even couture clothes sometimes get dropped.

kittylester Tue 13-Aug-19 15:00:24

Well, gonegirl, I wouldn't buy Dh new clothes from any where. He's a grown man and I'd get it all wrong!

mumofmadboys Tue 13-Aug-19 15:07:32

Just pack them, no need to wash them

MissAdventure Tue 13-Aug-19 15:10:39

I'd presume he would wash them himself, if he were that fussy, but I doubt he would be.

Into the suitcase with 'em!

Floradora9 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:13:35

I wash every new garment before it is worn . Sadly I would not get away with buying DH any clothes. DGD asked him one day if what he was wearing was all the clothes he had .

M0nica Tue 13-Aug-19 15:21:12

Never wash clothes before they are worn.

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 15:35:40

DH used to mutter a lot about new garments needing washing before wearing because they contained 'dressing'.
I think 'dressing' went out in about 1930 and I usually ignored him.
Occasionally he asks me to wash something new before he wears it and occasionally I show him the washing machine.

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:39:26

Gonegirl

I think you're being a bit precious. The vast majority of M&S clothes M,F & C are made in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka along with China India Hungary etc on the labels.
I buy from M&S and I know that to be the case.

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:41:46

...and I never wash new clothes or bedlinen before wearing/using and have never had any skin disease or irritation...ever.

DanniRae Tue 13-Aug-19 15:57:52

I never buy clothes for Mr R unless, as already said, he points something out and says, as he did today, someone can buy that for me for C........s.
I don't get involved when he packs for our holidays either. I might be asked my opinion on which polo shirt/shorts etc to take. This normally involves me making a choice and him saying "Oh really I prefer the other one!" hmm

Bopeep14 Tue 13-Aug-19 16:34:20

I always wash clothes before wear, you never know who has tried them on before you.

Minniemoo Tue 13-Aug-19 16:36:15

I always wash new clothes and towels and bedding etc. Always have done. I drive the family mad. And it's nothing to do with where it's made either. It could have been whipped up in Buckingham Palace by angels, I'd still have to wash it.

Why? No idea

RosieLeah Tue 13-Aug-19 16:40:44

Funny...I buy most of my clothes on-line and most are made in the east but I never thought of washing them before wearing. I suppose they will harbour bacteria, but we are not going to put them in our mouths, are we?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 16:43:01

My OCD has gone into overdrive, due to the stress of going on holiday. That's all.

I don't think I will wash them.

Calendargirl Tue 13-Aug-19 16:43:16

Never wash new clothes first, wherever they are bought from. If I were to buy something second hand, would wash that.

paddyann Tue 13-Aug-19 16:45:20

I wouldn't even buy socks for my OH ,he's very stylish and image conscious and he loves to spend time and money on the kind of clothes he likes .

mumofmadboys Tue 13-Aug-19 16:45:41

I agree calendar girl. I always wash things from charity shops, never wash new stuff.

Minniemoo Tue 13-Aug-19 16:47:31

I think I'll carry on washing

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/clothes-new-wash-dermatologist-today-show-lice-scabies-formaldehyde-eczema-a8219976.html

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 16:49:11

I am not going to even read that link.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 16:59:58

If I could just get round to slinging anything in the suitcase it would be a start. hmm

Tangerine Tue 13-Aug-19 17:02:24

I don't think they need washing first. I would never wash clothes before I wore them.

midgey Tue 13-Aug-19 17:06:24

I packed for my DH once, an important business trip. I forgot his suit.....shock
Never had to pack again! grin

gt66 Tue 13-Aug-19 17:06:40

I always try new stuff on just before I jump in the shower, then wash it before I wear it for the first time; as someone else said you never know who's tried it on before you. I also know some people buy items, wear it to an event, then take it back for a refund! Yuck!

jocork Tue 13-Aug-19 17:12:35

I've never washed new clothes before wearing them nor any bedding or towels. Having read the link above I realise I may have taken risks but I don't suppose I'll change the habits of a lifetime now.

SalsaQueen Tue 13-Aug-19 17:12:42

I buy all His stuff from Asda and/or Matalan and Next. I never wash things before I wear them grin

Day6 Tue 13-Aug-19 17:18:30

I wouldn't buy clothes for OH because he has such a limited view of styles, colours, fashions etc. I leave him to it. He'd wear polo shirts/t shirts and jeans for every occasion if he could.

I don't wash new clothes before I wear them.

FarNorth Tue 13-Aug-19 17:20:48

It's obviously all too stressful for you Gonegirl.
Tell the old fella to buy his own clothes from now on, and pack for himself as well.
(Or hire a gentleman's gentleman)

Sparklefizz Tue 13-Aug-19 17:48:34

I was allergic to my new duvet cover until I'd washed it, so it must have had "dressing" or something on it confused

Sparklefizz Tue 13-Aug-19 17:51:01

Aha! Just read the article from the link above, and now I understand why I broke out in a rash from my new duvet cover.

Grandad1943 Tue 13-Aug-19 18:17:15

I wear quite a number of button-up shirts for work. Although (as with many these days) I no longer wear a tie with those shirts while on business or in the office, I always put those new shirts through the washing machine before wearing them.

The above makes the collars feel more comfortable and the whole shirt feel softer I find.

I also put all my new underpants through the washer for the same reason, thereby making then nice and soft for the most important places. πŸ˜ƒ

However, I cannot see any reason to wash any new garment simply on the bases of where it was produced.

Auntieflo Tue 13-Aug-19 18:38:10

Just thinking, if you bought new clothes, and there was a fault in it, would the shop moan at you for washing it?

Lyndylou Tue 13-Aug-19 18:40:18

I usually frog march my other half to M&S shortly before any break so that I know what he packs is not his usual shabby wear. Earlier this year I left him to his own devices before a week caravan break. He picked me up from work and we drove straight there for me to discover he had packed some underwear, a pair of jeans, and a couple of oldish t shirts but had only the jumper he was wearing. As he always has a jumper on even in heatwaves and this one was already looking the worse for wear, we had to spend the first day of the holiday at Hornsea Freeport kitting him out. He just doesn't care what he looks like, but I have to look at him!!

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 18:50:06

gt66& others

If you're canny (like me) you go to the shop, see and feel material and quality first hand, try on then go home and order online.
Online clothes are pre-packed at manufacturer and never worn.
Simple.

Grandad1943 Tue 13-Aug-19 18:52:10

I find in these times that Marks & Spencer never has any men's wear that I like unless it is formal white shirts, and those I rarely wear these days.

I believe that the above is the find of many men at present, and that Asda/George is as good as other any men's clothes retailers, if not better.

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 19:04:07

Grandad I think that the shirts with a button collar look much neater when not wearing a tie.
How to persuade DH though hmm

I have to force him to buy clothes or buy them for him, although he did buy himself a very nice (and expensive) linen jacket recently. Should have noted the time and date!

Grandad1943 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:05:40

Apologies should be "as good as any other men's clothes retailers" in my above post, not " as good as other any men's clothes retailers" πŸ€”

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:09:41

...and what kind of clothes might they be paddyann?
Are we talking
Boss
Gieves & Hawke
Brioni
RL
D&G
Hien Le
Abercrombie&Fitch
Mykita
Hilfiger
Gucci...
or more like Strellson?

Lazigirl Tue 13-Aug-19 19:18:14

I don't always wash new clothes before I wear them, and have never caught anything from them. With regards to the link posted I would think we are more at risk from chemicals in cleaning stuff and furnishings in the home than from clothes. The idea that scabies and lice is passed on is daft, it requires body to body contact for that.

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:19:57

I like wearing H&M clothes with a Gucci watch or Tiffany ear studs, that way, people always think the clothes are more expensive than they were. grin

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:25:00

My sons go the German/Scandi route when buying clothes, cars and watches.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 19:28:02

Yawn

Grandad1943 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:35:34

Callistemon, in regards to your [email protected]:04 today, I believe there are two strands in answer to the question you pose.

The first (and most important) would be to recognise the fact that the vast majority of men who are of "a mature age" hate clothes shopping. Therefore if you go with him ensure you have all his sizes to hand and dont not ask him to try anything on, for that way holds disaster. πŸ₯΄

The second thing to remember would be to use a retailer such as Asda/George where there is a wide range, easily selected and where you can be quickly "in and out." πŸ˜ƒ

Should you wish to get your other half to wear such shirts as button up front with a collar, then be with him, pick up such a shirt which could be a nice broad check, and say something atone to "that would look nice on you". 😍

That always works on me when my wife carries out the above. Mind you, I am not one for ever wearing trainers as footwear, or these days Jeans. If I am out and about or in office, I always wear a button-up front nice pastel colour or check shirt, smart casual trousers and a pair of traditional leather black slip-on shoes.

Call me stayed if you like, but that is me through and through. πŸ˜ƒ

Lisagran Tue 13-Aug-19 19:36:06

What’s the holiday destination, Gonegirl?

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 19:40:36

Chinos and either polo shirts or short sleeved shirts.
He's an M&S man, predictable but reliable (I think!) grin

Tried that would look nice on you and the answer was "hmm, yes but it has a button-down collar".
No budging him

The linen jacket was a surprise, though!

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 19:41:58

Oh, and black leather shoes ....

Although has been seen in trainers on the beach

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 19:44:30

The trouble with Gucci etc Gabriella is that there are so many good fakes around most people won't know the difference, particularly if worn with H&M or Primark sad

Barmeyoldbat Tue 13-Aug-19 19:53:14

Never buy my OH any clothes, its just not worth it as I end taking them back. Also he does his own packing and I often wonder if we are going on the same holiday. He washes anything new, I don't and found no problem.

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:57:30

Callistemon
Agreed, but very few Gucci watch fakes. Clothes yes, Watches, very few.
I have the authentication and valuation papers so I know how much it's worth and that's all that matters.
As my friends don't shop at Primark or H&M they woukdn't know where I bought my clothes anyway. πŸ˜πŸ˜‚

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:58:37

woukdn't wouldn't blush

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:02:00

call me stayed... hmmπŸ˜‚

Harris27 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:02:24

It's not a cheap brand some of the stuff is really good!

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:04:12

Bedtime for you Gonegirl πŸ˜΄πŸ›

annodomini Tue 13-Aug-19 20:06:10

Don't wash them. You might then feel obliged to iron them. grin

Harris27 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:07:49

I have bought jd Williams clothes and they aren't rubbish they're quite good really!

Lazigirl Tue 13-Aug-19 20:20:47

I wouldn't know genuine designer or fake jewellery and clothing if it jumped up and bit me grin. Or M&S v Asda come to that, unless I was wearing identical.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 20:22:38

I've said all the wrong things on this thread haven't I?

annep1 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:30:01

Don't wash Gonegirl. I'm not reading that link either. How did we get onto Gucci watches??

Lazigirl Tue 13-Aug-19 20:44:38

I assumed Gonegirl that

a: you'd got bored with packing and wanted a diversion.
b: started cork popping as an early holiday treat
c: trying to do a bit of stirring amongst the reactionaries amongst us..........

What are you doing his packing for anyway?

BradfordLass72 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:12:13

There's a way to please everyone.

Get him to wear the clothes; stand him in a warm shower and hose him down - then make sure he wears them until they dry - or disintegrate as he steps onto the shower mat.

Only then will you be sure. grin

Lessismore Tue 13-Aug-19 21:27:49

Is the person in question disabled?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 21:33:40

grin

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 21:34:37

No, he's not. The "person in question" is just fine thank you. πŸ˜‚

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 21:37:37

And he's not actually that old. πŸ˜‰

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:56:08

A certain GD sounds like a bof.
So pedantic and......well, I won't elaborate but at least H&S wasn't mentioned which is usually squeezed in somewhere to remind us of his knowledge in that field.
Small mercies.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:06:02

You on the wrong thread G?

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:08:04

If you wash everything before you wear it what do you do with clothes which are dry clean only?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:09:34

God! Shall we not take this any further? πŸ˜…

Grandad1943 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:11:51

Well, it a certain GD sounding like "bof" makes a change from a certain G taking continually about her wealth.

Strange, I have always found that those that frequently talk about their wealth usually have little or none.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:16:56

Anyone can be anything on a forum.

I am in fact a big hairy trucker.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:18:57

With OCD of course.

Minniemoo Tue 13-Aug-19 22:19:08

Crikey dragonfly. I'd not thought about Dry Clean Only. I've had Dry Clean Only clothes. What did I do with them??

GoneGirl ... I shall probably lose sleep tonight

Grandad1943 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:20:08

Gone Girl, I have always imagined you as that. πŸ˜‚

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:20:19

With cause minimoo.

annodomini Tue 13-Aug-19 22:36:39

GG, in the time this thread has been running, you could have washed, dried, ironed and packed the said clothes. Have you?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:41:32

Annodomini I've done nothing. Sigh.

annodomini Tue 13-Aug-19 22:53:25

I thought as much, GG. That is what Gransnet does for one!

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 23:04:27

Don't wash them it's going to rain tomorrow and you'll have to tumble dry them then they won't fit and he won't wear them on holiday and you can't send them back because they've been washed.

Deep breath ...

BradfordLass72 Wed 14-Aug-19 03:55:10

God! Shall we not take this any further?

Do tell, what did God reply to that heartfelt cri de coeur?

If I were God, I might misconstrue and think you were pleading to be 'translated to the realms of glory'.

(aka New Zealand) smile

BTW, re: Dry Clean Only - just revise the previous shower routine and spray him with carbon tetrachloride.

Don't light a match anywhere near him for the next 30 mins.

Lazigirl Wed 14-Aug-19 08:55:50

As God is a woman BradfordLass I am sure She will have the utmost empathy and sympathy with the dilemma which Gonegirl is faced with, and for which she has asked the opinion of us mere mortals.

Diane227 Wed 14-Aug-19 09:10:58

Forget the clothes! Where are you going on holiday ? Tell all.
Is it somewhere sunny?
Hope you have a lovely time.

Daisymae Wed 14-Aug-19 09:19:06

As I have to be seen out with DH I buy all of his clothes. I would not dream of washing anything, might iron the crease out of some shirts though. Btw DH is unable to get out by himself but he's never taken much interest.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 10:00:18

Just to satisfying the hairdressers on here, we are going to Thiviers. Or somewhere close to. And I expect the weather to be much the same as it is here.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 10:00:36

satisfy

knickas63 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:11:44

JD Williams stuff is fine - but my DH always prefers it to be washed before he wears it against his delicate baby skin.

DanniRae Wed 14-Aug-19 11:40:01

Well I've googled Thiviers........thought it was somewhere near Blackpool? But I see it is in France and very nice it looks too. Have a lovely time! smile

Jacinta55 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:54:54

My husband buys all his own clothes.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 13:05:13

I send my sincere congratulations to your DH Jacinta55.

DanniRae Wed 14-Aug-19 13:24:39

My husband buys all his own clothes too.......sincere congratulations to Mr R too Gone girl? He would say "Thank You" in advance but he's out buying some socks!! grin

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 13:37:03

Yep. Congrats to yours too Dannirae.

My poor old sod is currently in the kitchen trying to sew a button back on his trousers. I am NOT doing it for him!

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 13:39:03

The clothes are actually really nice.

I remember my mother used to get my dresses from JD Williams when I was a child. They have been going quite some time.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 14:06:45

As I have to be seen out with DH I buy all of his clothes
Too right, Daisymae!

Who wants to be seen with a sartorially challenged OH?