Gransnet forums

Chat

If you had just bought your old feller some clothes for his holiday from JD Williams...

(114 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:19:34

... (having given up on Marks and Sparks) and they were made in Bangladesh, would you wash them before he wears them?

Grandad1943 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:35:34

Callistemon, in regards to your post-@19:04 today, I believe there are two strands in answer to the question you pose.

The first (and most important) would be to recognise the fact that the vast majority of men who are of "a mature age" hate clothes shopping. Therefore if you go with him ensure you have all his sizes to hand and dont not ask him to try anything on, for that way holds disaster. ?

The second thing to remember would be to use a retailer such as Asda/George where there is a wide range, easily selected and where you can be quickly "in and out." ?

Should you wish to get your other half to wear such shirts as button up front with a collar, then be with him, pick up such a shirt which could be a nice broad check, and say something atone to "that would look nice on you". ?

That always works on me when my wife carries out the above. Mind you, I am not one for ever wearing trainers as footwear, or these days Jeans. If I am out and about or in office, I always wear a button-up front nice pastel colour or check shirt, smart casual trousers and a pair of traditional leather black slip-on shoes.

Call me stayed if you like, but that is me through and through. ?

Lisagran Tue 13-Aug-19 19:36:06

What’s the holiday destination, Gonegirl?

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 19:40:36

Chinos and either polo shirts or short sleeved shirts.
He's an M&S man, predictable but reliable (I think!) grin

Tried that would look nice on you and the answer was "hmm, yes but it has a button-down collar".
No budging him

The linen jacket was a surprise, though!

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 19:41:58

Oh, and black leather shoes ....

Although has been seen in trainers on the beach

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 19:44:30

The trouble with Gucci etc Gabriella is that there are so many good fakes around most people won't know the difference, particularly if worn with H&M or Primark sad

Barmeyoldbat Tue 13-Aug-19 19:53:14

Never buy my OH any clothes, its just not worth it as I end taking them back. Also he does his own packing and I often wonder if we are going on the same holiday. He washes anything new, I don't and found no problem.

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:57:30

Callistemon
Agreed, but very few Gucci watch fakes. Clothes yes, Watches, very few.
I have the authentication and valuation papers so I know how much it's worth and that's all that matters.
As my friends don't shop at Primark or H&M they woukdn't know where I bought my clothes anyway. ??

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:58:37

woukdn't wouldn't blush

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:02:00

call me stayed... hmm?

Harris27 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:02:24

It's not a cheap brand some of the stuff is really good!

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:04:12

Bedtime for you Gonegirl ??

annodomini Tue 13-Aug-19 20:06:10

Don't wash them. You might then feel obliged to iron them. grin

Harris27 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:07:49

I have bought jd Williams clothes and they aren't rubbish they're quite good really!

Lazigirl Tue 13-Aug-19 20:20:47

I wouldn't know genuine designer or fake jewellery and clothing if it jumped up and bit me grin. Or M&S v Asda come to that, unless I was wearing identical.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 20:22:38

I've said all the wrong things on this thread haven't I?

annep1 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:30:01

Don't wash Gonegirl. I'm not reading that link either. How did we get onto Gucci watches??

Lazigirl Tue 13-Aug-19 20:44:38

I assumed Gonegirl that

a: you'd got bored with packing and wanted a diversion.
b: started cork popping as an early holiday treat
c: trying to do a bit of stirring amongst the reactionaries amongst us..........

What are you doing his packing for anyway?

BradfordLass72 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:12:13

There's a way to please everyone.

Get him to wear the clothes; stand him in a warm shower and hose him down - then make sure he wears them until they dry - or disintegrate as he steps onto the shower mat.

Only then will you be sure. grin

Lessismore Tue 13-Aug-19 21:27:49

Is the person in question disabled?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 21:33:40

grin

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 21:34:37

No, he's not. The "person in question" is just fine thank you. ?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 21:37:37

And he's not actually that old. ?

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:56:08

A certain GD sounds like a bof.
So pedantic and......well, I won't elaborate but at least H&S wasn't mentioned which is usually squeezed in somewhere to remind us of his knowledge in that field.
Small mercies.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:06:02

You on the wrong thread G?

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:08:04

If you wash everything before you wear it what do you do with clothes which are dry clean only?