Gransnet forums

Chat

Decision making in retirement!!

(34 Posts)
kittylester Wed 14-Aug-19 10:10:31

Please tell me that we are not the only people who find it hard to make decisions in retirement.

DH and I have always talked about things a lot - all sorts of things, not just decision making - but we now seem almost unable to decide on anything and just talk about it.

Where shall we go on holiday - we could go on a river cruise, a road trip to Scotland or the South Coast or we could go to Cornwall.

DH decided that it would be a good idea to redo the lounge completely - next year, to give us time to get organised but what to do first? Do we choose the sofa covers, the furniture, the carpet, what stuff to keep or get rid of, does that stuff want to go in storage, to the dump, to Oxfam?

Are we like this because we have the time to think now or is it a symptom of getting older? Are others the same?

It's driving me dotty!!

nanamac77 Thu 15-Aug-19 13:29:13

Consider yourself lucky that you have time and a sounding board for each other. On my own I have to make all decisions and would love to have someone to discuss them with.
The annual home insurance renewal looms. Many comparison websites later I shall make a decision!

FC61 Thu 15-Aug-19 13:31:15

I don’t think it’s a symptom of getting older my DH and me have been like that for years ! That’s why we do not have a wall across the front of our property, why we do not have a greenhouse, and why we haven’t been to Morocco or Norway yet !! We can’t decide what where how or when! The good news is we are reaching the age where one of us gets fed up faffing, makes a decision , sorts it and the other does not complain ! In the old days it was one of us squealing ‘you can’t just go ahead and make decisions without me’ and now it’s ‘ thank God that’s decided !’ and a lot of ‘up to you darling ‘ ! ??

FlexibleFriend Thu 15-Aug-19 13:38:18

I'm very decisive and only have my own views to consider so no one holding me back.

trendygran Thu 15-Aug-19 14:14:19

I just think you are very lucky to have retirement time together and chance to discuss what you wish to do-even if not easy to agree.My DH and I were both working part time when he died very suddenly ,aged 66. We had no retirement time together at all. I have had to make a new life for myself ,which is quite busy with several good friends -but not the same as still having someone to share life with.

Bugbabe2019 Thu 15-Aug-19 16:38:00

Don’t leave it too long to make those decisions

Juliet27 Thu 15-Aug-19 22:05:09

paddyann can I borrow you?!!

annep1 Thu 15-Aug-19 23:06:22

This is so us, although my husband would be all right with doing nothing in the house. eg Whats wrong with the ones we have. The wàlls look fine etc...

I think we need a project manager. It took us 2+ yrs to put a new fireplace in.
New lights sat in the kitchen 3 months waiting for an electrician. We've had numerous people out to discuss extensions, paving, landscaping. We're probably blacklisted now among tradesmen for wasting time.

We just can't decide and its not helped by the fact that no job has ever been done without something going wrong.

We've talked about a cruise, or returning to Florence for four years. Unlikely to happen. As Jillybird says Do it now!

Small decisions are the same- where to go for a walk, what to make for dinner. It's up to you is a wellworn phrase.

I don't know why we're like this. Maybe its partly an age thing.
I've started trying to make quick decisions myself. As Dragonfly47 said Someone has to grasp the mettle.

Jani31 Fri 16-Aug-19 03:56:35

Just bought a 2 bed 'park home' after 4 years of furniture and boxes in storage. Moving in soon, as the new kitchen has been finished. Yesterday was pictures up on the wall and new guttering. The car is loaded for the tip, why did I keep all this junk?