Gransnet forums

Chat

It wasn't until I was 70 that ....

(92 Posts)
Marmight Wed 14-Aug-19 19:01:02

I was told that broad beans not only had to be taken out of their cosy furry pods, but had to have their skin removed after cooking. I don't think my Mum knew that either which is why I always loathed them ? Having just spent an age doing just that (practically the length of Bach's Double Violin Concerto which I was listening to at the time) to a small handful of beans, I have come to the conclusion that Life is too Short.
What have you discovered in later life that you never knew before...?

BradfordLass72 Thu 15-Aug-19 07:14:36

I love the ways to remember which way to turn things

Here's another for you Newquay.

When my boys were little they didn't always see which shoes, or Wellington, went on which foot. So I drew two arrows, one inside each shoe. If they pointed at each other, the footwear was the right way round.

petra Thu 15-Aug-19 07:42:21

When taking my driving test I put a tight elastic band on my left wrist because of this problem.

dragonfly46 Thu 15-Aug-19 08:39:32

Just looked up dental dam and realise at 73 it is a bit late to learn what that is ?

Auntieflo Thu 15-Aug-19 08:40:20

GG54, Marmight's picture is of broad beans and their discarded skins.

DanniRae Thu 15-Aug-19 08:41:12

I never knew until I was 70 how wonderful it is to be a nanny. Even now after 11 weeks when my daughter says to her son "Go to nanny" I have a look round to see who she is talking to!
grin

Marmight Thu 15-Aug-19 08:41:18

As mcem realises, the idea for this thread was not about the merits or otherwise of preparing broad beans, but to get a conversation going about normal, everyday things which, suddenly, become eye-openingly obvious as you become older! ?

vena11 Thu 15-Aug-19 09:15:47

Dental Dam, just had to look it up LOL. Never heard of it. I am not 70 yet . As they say every day is a school day

RosieLeah Thu 15-Aug-19 09:29:25

I used to think that all old people had a bad smell. Now that I'm old, I realise that it's just poor hygiene.

Abe49 Thu 15-Aug-19 10:12:34

So what is a dental am please?

Pudding123 Thu 15-Aug-19 10:18:28

I didn't realize that OXO cubes should have there pointy bits opened before crumbling until the girl I sat next to in work did it.,I used to just squash them .

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Aug-19 10:23:20

I only found out recently that pineapples don’t grow on trees. And that babies’ vests are designed to pull down when poo-stained rather than be carefully manoeuvred over a baby’s head. Thank you, Mumsnet. At least I’ve still got one grandson in nappies. grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Aug-19 10:24:00

But I don’t peel broad beans. I don’t even peel potatoes. grin

shysal Thu 15-Aug-19 10:26:54

My ex DH didn't notice until he was 50ish that February had an 'r' after the 'b'!

GabriellaG54 Thu 15-Aug-19 10:28:20

Auntieflo
I'm well aware of what the picture shows...thanks.
The photo of the de-podded and skinned broad beans (at the bottom of photo) show that some of them look rather beige in colour, not the vibrant green of fresh de-skinned broad beans...hence my original comment. grin

RosieLeah Thu 15-Aug-19 10:29:20

I never knew that about baby's vests. I thought it was to reduce the bulk around the neck.
Over 70 and still learning.

maryhoffman37 Thu 15-Aug-19 10:30:00

No idea about a dental dam and wouldn't dream of peeling cooked broad beans. I learned to drive at 50 and to swim with my head under water at 55. But I can't think of anything I learned after 70 - I must have stopped!

Nanny41 Thu 15-Aug-19 10:31:48

I grow and love Broad Beans loved them all my life have never taken the skin off after cooking not heard of this, I love them as they are skins and all.

GeorgieKay Thu 15-Aug-19 10:33:15

Just googled "dental dam" !! Oh goodness blush

pensionpat Thu 15-Aug-19 10:33:49

What I’ve just learned at the age of 71 is what a dental dam is

mrsgreenfingers56 Thu 15-Aug-19 10:34:26

Well I grow Broad beans and have always taken them out of their pods. A lot of pod for not a lot of bean to be honest and they do attract black fly but not had this year. They are so good for you (the broad beans, not the black fly!) and full of protein and roughage. Cheap as well to buy the seeds and set yourself. Still enjoying growing them though and no nasty chemicals on them.

FarNorth Thu 15-Aug-19 10:39:11

Dental dam shock Not what I thought it might be.
Good old GN.

grannyteddy Thu 15-Aug-19 10:40:53

Love this thread, at 65 I have just finally learned what sonofabitch was in many books I have read. All my life I read it as sono fa bitch. Why, just why! I have no explanation for it. As an intelligent, extremely well educated woman why did this get away from me. Cue much merriment from my children and grandchildren.

TillyWhiz Thu 15-Aug-19 10:45:49

Well! Not 70 yet and just Googled dental dam... now can't wait to my 70s to learn more. PS Have never skinned broad beans which are my favourite veg but I don't let them get old and tough. I cook with black peppermint and allow to cool slightly before I eat them.

SynchroSwimmer Thu 15-Aug-19 10:58:22

I wish there had been a book on getting older....to read when I was younger, to know what I needed to fit in and max out to the full while I was fitter....

It may seem obvious.....

but things like I can no longer use my king size professional stunt-man trampoline that sits here in full view (after knee replacement) and can probably no longer paint the inside of the house from top to bottom again...

Did catch my 86 year old MIL climbing on to and having a go on the trampoline though!

Craftycat Thu 15-Aug-19 11:21:25

Well now I can't wait to reach 70 so I can become a wealth of knowledge on Broad Beans!!