Gransnet forums

Chat

Ponchos

(77 Posts)
Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 21:43:39

Has anyone got a (wool) poncho? Do you find you wear it much? Does it sit well over different clothes? I really fancy one, but not sure how much wear I’d get out of it? Like the one in the pic, but maybe teal or navy?

Lilypops Thu 15-Aug-19 23:03:43

Sorry Lisagran , , predictive txt !!!

Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 23:04:57

I might look in White Stuff too, Lilypops, as I have a 15% off voucher for there

Teacheranne Thu 15-Aug-19 23:46:02

I have at least 8 ponchos is a range of colours and styles, I wear them when going out instead of a coat in the winter. I also have several ( loads) of pashminas in all colours which I wear as a wrap indoors.

I have a couple of casual coats but have not had a formal coat for years, I don't feel comfortable in them but love to throw a poncho/wrap/shawl around me.

Coolgran65 Fri 16-Aug-19 00:19:02

I have 5 ponchos and loads of pasminas. Wouldn't be without them.

SueDonim Fri 16-Aug-19 00:34:04

I have one and also a sort of open poncho, a bit like wrap. The latter I bought in Sainbury's with 25% off, so it cost £12 and I've had it four or five years. It's navy on one side and wine coloured on the other.

The other is a blue & black mix which is lighter weight. I wear and and wear them in autumn & spring, they're so much easier than a coat and so comfy to snuggle in.

annep1 Fri 16-Aug-19 09:16:45

Any recommendations dor shorter ponchos? I am only five feet tall.

annep1 Fri 16-Aug-19 09:17:19

for not dor!

MawB Fri 16-Aug-19 09:33:50

Teacheranne and Coolgran you make me feel much better- I have 6 and have been feeling very embarrassed as who needs 6 different coloured ponchos? (Well clearly we do!)
All of mine are from Turtle Doves who make their products in Shropshire from recycled cashmere so my carbon footprint /slow fashion conscience is clearer!

Feelingmyage55 Fri 16-Aug-19 09:37:57

Now I want one although I did not know that until now!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Aug-19 09:40:07

annepl I am 5’2” My White Company one is short.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Aug-19 09:41:09

MawB.....I am not confessing how many ponchos/pashminas are in my wardrobe ???

Lisagran Fri 16-Aug-19 09:51:43

This thread is crossing over into “my guilty pleasure” territory grin

Lisagran Fri 16-Aug-19 09:53:21

Annepl I will look out for short ponchos for you - I am off to the shops shortly! I might return with six!

KatyK Fri 16-Aug-19 09:58:06

In the 70s when my daughter was little, I knitted her a poncho. It was lovely. I knitted them for other children in the area too. I've never worn one myself.

millymouge Fri 16-Aug-19 10:08:07

I love them, they are so versatile. And I don’t like wearing a coat if I am driving, but find a poncho is very comfortable. I have a very nice one I bought from Seasalt and a cashmere that daughter bought me for Christmas. Also have a check reversable one, and a couple of others. So easy to wear and suitable for all occasions.

RosieLeah Fri 16-Aug-19 10:08:23

Yes, I have one. It's just ideal for slipping on in the evenings, keeps my shoulders warm. I'm debating whether to get one of those poncho-cape things for outdoors. They look really comfortable.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Aug-19 10:14:09

I could do with a blanket-type one with a hood for winter !
Alpaca preferably. I had an alpaca jumper years ago and it lasted ages.

humptydumpty Fri 16-Aug-19 10:14:40

I find this really interesting! for me ponchos are so firmly rooted in the late 60s that it fells like time-travelling hearing so may people still wearing them! Maybe I should think again...

grandMattie Fri 16-Aug-19 10:22:12

Haven't tried ponchos/capes - might do this year, with so much encouragement from you lot. I do, however, have about 20 shawls of various colours and weights which always draw many compliments.

Grammaretto Fri 16-Aug-19 10:29:03

I have 2. One fine grey cashmere , a gift from Dil. I wear it a lot. It covers a multitude.....

The other is handwoven. It's a little small so is more like a cape..I had one in the '70s and used to breastfeed beneath it for discretion. It was S American.

Several ladies at my yarn group are knitting ponchos at the moment. So I think everyone will be in them soon!

annep1 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:03:52

Thanks Lisagran

Coolgran65 Fri 16-Aug-19 20:49:40

MawB I have to admit that I had many more that I sold on eBay.
I've bought most from Charity Shops, Car Boots, eBay.

However must clarify, what I'm calling ponchos are actually open fronted and much easier to wear and more flattering than a 'real' poncho. No pulling on over the head. Lots of fabric to throw over a shoulder, pin in place, or flow free.

I haven't worn a coat/jacket for months.

jacq10 Fri 16-Aug-19 20:59:56

I'm like you humptydumpty and remember well wearing them in the 60's and thought I would not want to revisit any of the fashions I wore back then but after this thread I may change my mind - off to google "Turtle Doves" MawB.

M0nica Fri 16-Aug-19 21:29:59

I love the look and have tried wearing them, but for me it just doesn't work, I have narrow sloping shoulders, which mean anything not securely done up or with a wide neck cnstantly slips off.

In addition I could never work out how to balance poncho and my big serviceable handbag, wear it under and the poncho gets in the way when you try to access the bag and you take on a most peculiar shape, where it over, it slips off and is difficult to grab as it slides down the sides of the poncho.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Aug-19 22:02:52

I find my bag stays on my shoulder better with a poncho than with a coat on.
I get too hot in coats.

I had a few more dressy ponchos, but didn't like them that much.

My black crochet one is lovely, and I've had it about 18 years!