Gransnet forums

Chat

I ve just realised .....

(55 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 16-Aug-19 08:27:03

I must be getting old I ve just realised that I don’t know 90% of ‘celebrities’ Names keep cropping up that I ve never ever heard of is it just me ?

Grandma2213 Sun 18-Aug-19 03:17:38

I find that many 'celebrities' and also quite well known actors are becoming unrecognisable to me and I'm sure it's to do with surgery, or maybe make up which makes them all look the same. Also the men all have those beards now! I have a huge poster of 'Little Mix' at the top of my stairs courtesy of DGDs and try as I might I cannot remember their names or distinguish between them. I would not recognise them if they knocked at my door!!

Having said that I have been watching the documentary about Jade Goody, one of the original 'Big Brother' celebrities. The way she was manipulated and how the press portrayed her was horrifying and cruel. Still on the back of her 'celebrity' she did work hard and make lots of money for her family so all credit to her, coming from such a terrible background. She did try to better herself till her sad death at such a young age. I could not help but feel sorry for her but yet at the same time I felt admiration for her tenacity.

We have to remember they may be celebrities but they are also people, many of them quite vulnerable. Maybe meeting them in person might present us a with different, more sympathetic picture.

jocork Sat 17-Aug-19 23:16:39

I too have no idea who these celebrities are. If I take part in a quiz I dread questions on 'Popular Culture' and 'Sport' as I have no interest in either. I usually struggle with picture rounds too as some of the photos are of 'celebrities'. I'm relieved to see I'm in good company!

123kitty Sat 17-Aug-19 22:44:32

Nothing new. I remember thinking how pathetic my mother was when she couldn't name any of the Rolling Stones. Must admit I recognise very few of the Z-list 'stars'.

Grammaretto Sat 17-Aug-19 14:37:10

I hardly ever recognize the names. When did the word celebrity begin to be used?
Was it a new word for TV star? or sports star?
I don't suppose it matters if we know who they are as long as they keep us entertained.

Nor do I know the magazines any more. I decided to buy a subscription to one as a gift for DD and she was shocked!

Apparently what I'd subscribed her to was a fitness mag with
a message wholly at odds with her life as a young mum.

Sussexborn Sat 17-Aug-19 13:59:33

I buy Woman’s Weekly and My Weekly because they don’t often feature the famous for being famous celebrities. My hairdresser gave me a magazine yesterday that was all trash and speculation with contributors trying to out do each other by airing their dirty linen in public! No shame at all and no thought for their offspring reading and seeing degrading pictures of their parents drunk and falling out of their clothing. I wonder if they will ever mature enough to take a long hard look at themselves and their often loutish behaviour.

Witzend Sat 17-Aug-19 09:39:21

Me too. Not long ago on holiday I was idly browsing through a Hello! magazine someone had left lying around.

Honestly hadn't a clue who 90% of the people were. Might have vaguely heard some of the names, but whether they were singers/footballers/whatever, no idea at all.

Not perhaps surprising when I never read any 'celeb' news or gossip.

Lumarei Sat 17-Aug-19 05:44:22

Whenever I comment to my son “... it must mean I am getting older” her cheekily reassures me that it is not my age but that I have always been like that. ?

I am very encouraged by all the comments here. I am not alone!!!!
TV producers and the media only report, film and write what sells or makes money. If nobody bought the magazine|newspaper or watched the programmes they would stop. Someone said to me many years ago that newspapers were the mirror of society. Very depressing if this is the case.

BeeWitch Fri 16-Aug-19 19:16:45

If I just see the word 'Celebrity' attached to a TV programme it makes me cringe and avoid watching. Celebrity is a very overused word these days I think.

Grandmama Fri 16-Aug-19 19:08:09

'Who do you think you are?' DH and I have never heard of most of them!

harrigran Fri 16-Aug-19 17:12:25

DD was talking about Pointless celebrities one day and I had to ask her whether it was a quiz show or was she actually making a statement. She said she was talking about the TV quiz show but I was probably right about the celebrities too.

chrissie13 Fri 16-Aug-19 16:59:18

I do try to keep up to date because I do pub quizzes regularly, and need to know these things, lol.

Joyfulnanna Fri 16-Aug-19 16:53:37

I think we're confusing celebrities with the talented icons that we used to know. There is now a wide chasm between the two. TV producers are the ones to blame in all this. Without the dreadful TV reality series, we wouldn't have nearly as many new famous talentless cretins about. Thinking back to shows in the past like Morecombe and wise, the guests included people like Angela Rippon, this showed her talent as a dancer.. Now somehow newsreaders get places on Strictly and we have to watch their attempts at dancing when they've got no talent. Wrong way around! No doubt others like to see their journey but it's just this sort of thing that's dulling our appetite now. If you say you like Strictly, you've not the point.

leeds22 Fri 16-Aug-19 16:13:19

So relieved to see that it's not just me who doesn't recognise so called celebrities.

Lessismore Fri 16-Aug-19 15:55:28

I suppose celebrity was someone out of the ordinary with some talent, usually to entertain.
Now you can become one by shagging around and having a boob job or setting up a channel to tell us how to clean or how to empty a bin.

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Aug-19 15:20:41

I only know three of the latest Strictly line up - Anneka Rice, James Cracknell, Catherine Tyldesley (because I remember her from Corrie). It's partly my fault, because some are sportspeople I haven't come across and presenters on channels I don't watch or listen to now. But I don't really "get" the viscountess, the McVitie's heir and the YouTube influencer. Yes, I'm getting old. sad

Annaram1 Fri 16-Aug-19 15:04:42

Trendy, thank you for enlightening me. I just hope I never meet such a crass person. As you say, no class. What has happened to this country that that sort of behaviour is even put on TV?

GrandmaMoira Fri 16-Aug-19 14:44:18

I sometimes recognise celebs who are on quiz shows such as Celebrity Mastermind or Pointless. They are often people such as newsreaders, TV presenters or actors often seen in TV series.

Musicgirl Fri 16-Aug-19 14:28:26

I remember watching Pointless and the round was "Reality TV stars and the shows that made them famous." Apart from one obvious one my husband and l had never heard of either the "stars" or the shows. The contestants happened to all be over about 45 and were in the same position. I think pointless is a very apt description of those so-called "celebrities."

Willow10 Fri 16-Aug-19 14:17:12

I'm getting more and more annoyed that it doesn't matter which programme I watch, inevitably there is a so-called 'celebrity' (hate that word) guest from some reality tv rubbish that I've never heard of. I really don't want to listen to their inane drivel. Not only do they all look the same, they all sound the same, mostly without two brain cells to rub together!

lemongrove Fri 16-Aug-19 13:52:05

It’s because most of them aren’t actually famous for anything worthwhile, and I haven’t heard of a lot of them either.
I also have no idea which singles ( music tracks)are in the top 10.?Old age eh?

Blinko Fri 16-Aug-19 13:47:24

I think many of them are famous either from appearing in soaps or reality shows like Towie, Love Island and the like. So no, us grans (having more class) aren't going to recognize them....grin

Theoddbird Fri 16-Aug-19 13:22:21

I have up on this a long time ago. On strictly last year got to know these....errrrr....famous people as the prog progressed

JohnD Fri 16-Aug-19 13:20:13

Many 'celebrities' are so called because they have appeared on Television and not because they have done another of note.

BonnieBlooming Fri 16-Aug-19 13:01:33

My DD is only 33 and she doesn't know who most of the 'celebrities' who have been announced for Strictly!

annifrance Fri 16-Aug-19 12:39:46

There was a quiz in the Guardian yesterday. A photo of a pop star with a choice of three names to match it to. Couldn't recognise one of them and never heard of any of the names!!