Gransnet forums

Chat

I ve just realised .....

(54 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 16-Aug-19 08:27:03

I must be getting old I ve just realised that I don’t know 90% of ‘celebrities’ Names keep cropping up that I ve never ever heard of is it just me ?

GagaJo Fri 16-Aug-19 08:29:36

Me too. Kids at school prob just think I'm an old bag, but I have zero interest.

sodapop Fri 16-Aug-19 08:43:48

No not just you BlueBelle I don't recognise a lot of the names either. Some I hear about I would not be at all interested in them or their tawdry lives.

Teetime Fri 16-Aug-19 08:48:57

My hairdresser has 'celebrity' magazines and I ask her who these people are - I can recognise Meghan Sussex as she always everywhere,

NanaandGrampy Fri 16-Aug-19 09:02:18

The trouble is 90% of these so called celebrities are famous for being famous not for a talent , so they’re totally unmemorable!

ninathenana Fri 16-Aug-19 09:43:24

I wouldn't know any one from so called reality TV as I've never watched such a programme.
I read women's magazines and do recognise faces but not necessarily their names.

Charleygirl5 Fri 16-Aug-19 09:56:19

Whenever Strictly comes on I am lucky if I recognise 2-3 names.

I do not have a clue who these folk are and I am not interested.

RosieLeah Fri 16-Aug-19 09:57:28

They are just names to me too. There are so many icons these days, and people share their lives and opinions on Twitter, (I believe).
I find it all rather pathetic. There is this feeling that no-one wants to be an individual any more....they all want to be seen as part of a group, sharing everything.

merlotgran Fri 16-Aug-19 10:04:08

DH loves Celebrity MasterChef which is due to start again soon.

It means I'll spend the whole of the first episode listening to him grumbling, 'Who on earth is that?'

The second episode won't be much better. hmm

Hellsbelles Fri 16-Aug-19 10:48:40

It's also questionable for what makes something worthy of making the news as well.
I'm paraphrasing here but yesterday on an online 'newspaper ' Gemma Collins ( from the Essex reality show) put her hand to her crotch area and smelt her hand and then asked her assistant who is male to also smell to see if they were yeasty so therefore the possibility of thrush! all filmed for effect of course !

Kim19 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:49:48

Channel hopping last night and paused on 'celebrity' dating. Not a clue nor recognised face amongst them. Assume reality successes?

quizqueen Fri 16-Aug-19 11:00:14

Most of today's 'celebrities', I find, are really common, chavy and unintelligent and I try not to give them house room over all types of media. Gemma Collins would certainly fall into that category.

MaryXYX Fri 16-Aug-19 11:03:50

To me a 'Celebrity' is someone who is on TV because they are famous - and famous for being on TV. I haven't heard of most of them either.

granbabies123 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:03:51

Me too. I don't know celebs be they film music etc. Do I care? Not a jot. The people in my life that matter are friends and family . Too much attention is given to celebs and most end up unhappy when they lose their popularity.

Annaram1 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:12:36

What is the Essex reality show and who the heck is that vulgar Gemma Collins? Her family must be so embarrassed. Who wants to shake hands with her now?

4allweknow Fri 16-Aug-19 11:16:45

There are just so many of them nowadays. Seems all the "self absorbing" type programmes churn them out on a weekly basis. Before ut was film stars or singers who were celebrities.

mumski Fri 16-Aug-19 11:19:52

When any "Celeb" programme comes on I start to sound like an owl "Whoo, Whhhooo?".
If it's any consolation often my DDs also have no idea who these people are either! grin

moggie57 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:24:18

me too .i dont know many people off tv (mainly because i dont have a tv) but media wise, well they just nameless human beings .. not worried really . i know stars from my era .looking at richard gere in the metro newspaper i hardly recognised him.who cares ? really?. must be getting old haha ...

Margs Fri 16-Aug-19 11:26:50

Me too, BlueBelle.

But then surely the title "celebrity" is vastly different from "star"? And I'm talking about real stars such as Shirley Bassey, Frank Sinatra, Cary Grant,Doris Day, Bette Davis, Ingrid Bergman, Marlene Dietrich etc, etc, etc. (I'm definitely showing my age!)

They have never been/were never papped falling drunk out of limos, arguing and fighting at nightclub doors, wearing tat only fit for tramps (ripped jeans and faded old t-shirts).

Stars had/have class. Celebrities (well, modern day ones) do not.

Funnygran Fri 16-Aug-19 11:31:44

I’m the same, the only time I read the so called celebrity magazines is at the hairdressers and I have never heard of most of the people in them. Two words annoy me intensely - when people are described as an ‘influencer’ or a ‘socialite’. Is that a real job ?

crazyH Fri 16-Aug-19 11:34:35

When my knees started hurting

b1zzle Fri 16-Aug-19 11:39:21

Absolutely agree. Every time there's a 'celebrity' question during Tipping Point or any other quiz, I can't help but say out loud (to the cat) "who are these people?"

BlueBelle Fri 16-Aug-19 11:39:28

Maybe jumped threads crazyH??

annab275 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:45:11

don't know and don't care - we have a culture where celebrities are famous for being famous and that's it. I feel quite proud that I don't know anything about the latest this that or the other. I am from a different era and there is nothing worse than trying to keep up.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 16-Aug-19 11:45:39

Bluebelle
Don't be concerned Not all to do with aging. If someone doesn't make an impression on you it is not unusual to forget who they are.