Gransnet forums

Chat

Neuroplasticity

(4 Posts)
Lessismore Fri 16-Aug-19 14:23:58

This is something which interests me. Any experts on here?
How do I fire up those neurons......learning new things? Doing new things?

midgey Fri 16-Aug-19 14:38:19

No expert but such a fascinating subject. So much to learn!

Grannyknot Fri 16-Aug-19 14:59:13

I'm not an expert either but it is interesting stuff. There are a number of courses on the brain on FutureLearn, perhaps have a search there?

EllanVannin Fri 16-Aug-19 17:16:58

Yes, very interesting. Short of repeating myself umpteen times I suffered a TIA ( mini-stroke ) about, roughly 18 months ago. Most fortunately I had a full recovery from this and the only indication that I'd had was that I couldn't walk in a straight line.

After having had a CT scan it had clearly shown an area in the left hand side of the brain that had been affected. This area controls the right side of the body but I hadn't shown or felt/experienced any of the symptoms which a TIA can often produce so it goes without saying that I hadn't known.

I do believe that in an instance such as this that the brain can and is quite capable of healing itself. My eyesight is as good as it always was and only need glasses for reading.
I put a lot of the healing down to generally having decent health and a good diet to keep up a good blood supply to the cells and in turn the neurons.

Obviously my balance had been affected/disturbed but I just kept on the move and also stood on one leg and then the other until I'd mastered that art. I refused a stick but did carry a pointy umbrella when out.

I think that because I was never given any sort of follow-up appointments or invitation to see the GP that I battled on with dogged determination without their help as though it was an everyday thing that happens to anyone------which it truly does both old and young, athletes particularly.