Gransnet forums

Chat

Life’s too short to........

(86 Posts)
Atqui Sun 18-Aug-19 13:05:59

make bramble jelly! What a faff! Ruined a top , used loads of hard won blackberries and ended up with less than 2 pots of jam. What’s your life’s too short comment?

GreenGran78 Mon 19-Aug-19 15:50:45

Luckygirl. You are my long-lost twin! When can we meet?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 19-Aug-19 15:50:06

Life's too short to do spring cleaning for the entire house in one fell swoop. A little 'as and when' is surely all that is required.

Ironing bedding.

annsixty Mon 19-Aug-19 15:38:48

From today life is too short to answer the phone to someone who only rang to boast about her GS.
She has been doing this now for 25 years.As soon as I realised she was not interested in my trip away to stay with my D, I told her I had something really important to do, well make myself a coffee was very important to me, and I rang off
She is in my phone address book so I won't answer in future.
I have known her for 48 years. Such a weight off my mind, having made the decision.

lilydily9 Mon 19-Aug-19 15:10:30

So many here that I agree with. A dear friend once told me 'never worry over things you can't influence' and I live by that.

catladyuk Mon 19-Aug-19 14:45:00

Elcie

Whilst I agree with most of the time-wasting things suggested here, I feel that I must disagree with you.
There are some things that I would never do, one of which is to put dirty items into the recycling bin. Think of the poor souls at the recycling centres whose job it is to sort through our detritus. Unwashed and dirty cans, plastic containers etc cannot be recycled, if put in with recycling, they are thrown away and end up in landfill, thus defeating the object of the whole exercise.
Most people do not realise that not cleaning their recycling before disposing of it, can cause a whole container load to be contaminated.

“Life is too short to be reading quotes about life being too short. Stop reading and go live your life!” Kevin Ngo

TwiceAsNice Mon 19-Aug-19 14:38:19

Through not grouch spell check changed it AGAIN

TwiceAsNice Mon 19-Aug-19 14:37:32

Agree about wading grouch books I don’t like gave up on my book clubs choice a couple of months ago( usually like most choices) but beg to differ about Wolf Hall I loved it and it’s sequel Being up the Bodies.

Life is to short to do any kind of sewing ( although I like to knit)

Clean windows ( have a lovely window cleaner)

Wash up ( thank God for a dishwasher)

oldgaijin Mon 19-Aug-19 14:24:18

Life's too short to peg out knickers...bung 'em in the drier.
Ditto dusting...wait 'til it's thick enough to roll up like a carpet, tuck it under your oxter and throw it out the door!

Nannyxthree Mon 19-Aug-19 14:12:11

INISHOWEN Mine remembered the books but couldn't remember being read to!

I agree about finishing a book you aren't enjoying, but still do housework I don't want to do.

Musicgirl Mon 19-Aug-19 13:46:27

I'm with not finishing a book if l don't enjoy it. I iron as little as possible, though I'm yet to meet the non-iron shirt that is truly non-iron. As l work odd hours some weekday evening meals come courtesy of Messrs Marks and Spencer as do my Sunday roast potatoes. I go to church and am often involved with the music.

Jaycee5 Mon 19-Aug-19 13:41:38

Washerwoman Totally agree. I started London Fields three times before I got through it (and it's not a long book). Wish I hadn't bothered. I'll give something a second try but there is no point i perservering if you're just not getting it.

Merryweather Mon 19-Aug-19 13:36:10

Crumble making gets done by the children. They think it's great to get all gooey and gakey. I get lots made for the freezer and the children have a wonderful time.
Ironing except uniforms for school, weddings, funerals us a big no.
Jam/jelly making, Nope. I use fruit in crumble.
Still can't put a book down if I'm not enjoying it.
Robo vac hoovers and mops.
Dusting gets done when I'm ready.
I do make the beds. It's lovely to get into a well made fresh bed.

Taichifree Mon 19-Aug-19 13:29:40

Some of these made me laugh - thank you.

@Tooyoungytobeagrandma - I was sad to read your post - I listened to R4 this morning (Mon 19th Aug) and they were talking to women who'd decided not to put up with their situation and like you, set wheels in motion and were out the other side. I wish you well.

Nonnie Mon 19-Aug-19 13:10:01

I'm another one who can't waste time on people I have no interest in.

Don't care about people on here who deliberately misinterpret what others say and are simply nasty.

Only other thing I can think of is going into DH's study, he is a hoarder and a clutterer!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 19-Aug-19 13:01:52

To stay with a man I neither love nor care for, as he neither loves or cares for me and hadnt done for years. Solicitor found, time set aside for appointment. Also too short to put up with spiteful narcissistic DIL just hoping gc dont suffer too much. I no longer try to be nice, it makes no difference so shall use my energy and time doing stuff to suit me going forward ☺️

Nanny41 Mon 19-Aug-19 12:32:53

Champion worrier here,yes lifes too short. As the old song said "worrying gets you nowhere at all"

Foxyferret Mon 19-Aug-19 11:56:55

Dance with ugly men

Lupin Mon 19-Aug-19 11:53:56

I will iron my clothes and bedding but life is far too short to iron a tea towel.
I had an aunt who polished the dustbin and sent her poor husband up to hoover the loft. She really needed to get out more.
I agree with those who choose not to finish a book they are not enjoying.

Nannyme Mon 19-Aug-19 11:51:34

To say yes to something you don’t really want to do, I now say no thanks and have found it quite liberating, but it took me lots of wasted years to say no I don’t want to do the blasted cricket teas ever again.

Elcie Mon 19-Aug-19 11:41:30

Life is too short to put up with people that diminish you! I only see people that I really like now and my life is much happier. It’s also to short to wash rubbish, so I’m afraid my plastics go in the recycling as It is.

Saggi Mon 19-Aug-19 11:41:16

Ironing ( unless for funeral) ... I don’t attend weddings anymore!
Dieting
Moving furniture to clean
Make-up
Dying hair

HiPpyChick57 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:29:10

Agree with not ironing!!!
I refuse to stand there for hours straightening clothes!!!
Who made the law that clothes HAVE to be straight???
Pairing socks.
Nobody looks at your socks and so what if they do???
I buy only black ones now anyway so solved that problem!!!
My late husband called me Mrs half a job because I never wiped the dishes. I told him the air dries them so it’s a pointless waste of time. I asked him if he would water the garden in the rain???...Ha nuff said!!!

Shortlegs Mon 19-Aug-19 11:22:58

..........to dance with fat women.

Allegretto Mon 19-Aug-19 11:18:54

Camelotclub, I’ve recently been making crumble by melting butter in a pot and mixing in the dry ingredients. No rubbing in required.

Missiseff Mon 19-Aug-19 11:08:57

Yes it is. Wish my Son and Daughter realised this. They think it's too short to waste it with me.