Gransnet forums

Chat

Missing my old homes.

(34 Posts)
NanKate Mon 19-Aug-19 10:55:58

I am fortunate to have loved living in all my old homes starting with a semi in Birmingham where I lived for my first 11 years. I often think about our pretty back garden leading down to the railway track between B’ham and London.

Then we moved to Stratford upon Avon where I stand in front of my late parents home whenever I visit.

I got a friend to take me to my first home when getting married in Winslow, North Bucks. It made me feel I wanted to start all over again in this lovely little chalet house.

We now live in South Bucks and if I have my way I want to stay here till the end.

What are your memories of your old homes ?

Nonnie Tue 20-Aug-19 11:08:49

NanKate not far away, just outside Warwick.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:17:22

I felt a little upset when I learned that the new owner of my last house had taken down all the trellis which divided the garden into various sections. There were little 'secret' gardens' which made it quite romantic. What a Philistine.

The buyer turned out to be a bit of madam who had me over a barrel and took full advantage of her position in the chain. For two pins I'd have told her where to get off.

NanKate Wed 21-Aug-19 13:01:43

Nice area Nonnie. I used to work in Jury Street just by the Castle.

Nonnie Wed 21-Aug-19 13:03:25

NanKate did you also mention South Bucks or was that someone else?

NanKate Wed 21-Aug-19 22:17:07

It was me Nonnie I live in South Bucks now.

Allegretto Wed 21-Aug-19 23:21:35

I have lived in my present house for 32 years and I love it. It is full of precious memories of our family growing up. I know that the time will come when it is right to downsize and that will be okay. In the meantime I shall continue to enjoy living where I am.

Sara65 Thu 22-Aug-19 07:44:58

We have lived in five houses in our married life, only one didn’t work out, we moved with our heads, not with our hearts, we had a baby and two teenagers, and thought it would be a good idea to get back into town, we bought a thirties detached house in need of some TLC

I knew straight off it was a mistake, we stayed about 18 months, and I couldn’t wait to get away.

But the strange thing is, I have very happy memories of being there, the house was always full of my children and their friends, I was really enjoying my last baby, we had lots of good parties in the lovely garden, but we just never really felt at home there.

Happy memories of everywhere else, I sometimes drive past our first little terraced house, which looks pretty much the same, our next home is owned now by one of our daughters friends, we lived for many years in an old farmhouse which we loved, we moved here temporarily to be nearer one of our children’s schools, and have now been here fifteen years!

Auntieflo Thu 22-Aug-19 08:36:59

I loved the home where I was born and grew up in, it was a happy place. Although my parents must have been stretched financially at times. My lovely Grandad lived with us for some time, and after he died, to make ends meet, we had a series of lodgers, some good, some not so.
When we married, we were lucky enough to be able to afford a semi detached bungalow. Being newly married, we were the youngest at our end of the road, and were taken under the wings of our neighbours. Our two eldest children were born there, and those seven years were great.
51 years later, we are still in the house we moved to, following the relocation of DH's place of work. When we moved here, I wondered why a few couples, lived in a 3 bedroomed house, which I thought too big for them.
We are now those people, living in a family home, just the two of us, having spread out to fill the space!
I love this house and can't imagine leaving here. (although I have seen some very nice alternatives) smile