Gransnet forums

Chat

Songs that bring back unhappy memories

(105 Posts)
CaroDane Mon 19-Aug-19 23:10:55

Many years ago my now ex-husband waited until we were in a cafe at a garden centre of all places (presumably so I wouldn't make a scene) to announce he'd met someone else and wanted a divorce. The shock was unbelievable. We sat there in silence while the world went on around us. I have never forgotten the music that was playing in the cafe. It was Bonnie Rait - Can't make you love me if you don't.
How appropriate. I've always hated that song, and even now whenever I hear it, it fills me with pain and despair.
Anyone else have the same feelings when they hear a certain song ?

gillybob Tue 20-Aug-19 09:28:49

I was going to post a link Harri but decided against it. I’m so glad you enjoyed it though . The words mean so much to my DH and I .
sad

gillybob Tue 20-Aug-19 09:31:34

Meant to add to Harri that there is a brass band concert every Sunday on the seafront beside my house . I can hear it from my garden. smile

harrigran Tue 20-Aug-19 09:38:47

DH and I were big country and western fans when we were younger, around the time when cars had tape players. Unfortunately we kept getting the car broken into and they always seemed to target the country and western music [ hmm]

Susan56 Tue 20-Aug-19 09:47:29

My dad died at the age of 61,25 years ago yesterday.I still can’t join in when the songs we sang at his funeral are played in church,Will your anchor hold in the storms of life and Shine Jesus shine chosen by my then 7 year old daughter.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 20-Aug-19 09:47:50

Mum hated 'Abide With Me' as it reminded her of funerals. Dad and sister arranged her funeral many years later and chose that awful tune. They rushed the arrangements 'to get it over with' and when I'd heard about the choice it was probably too late to change it.

I always felt that I should have spoken up.

EllanVannin Tue 20-Aug-19 10:21:55

Well you're not going to believe this----I can't, myself, but as I turned to youtube for my song ( mixed memories ) which leaves me helplessly tearful, the phone rang.
It was my D in Australia ! Just finished talking to her.

The song---I Still Call Australia Home.

Grandmabeach Tue 20-Aug-19 10:23:08

Time to say Goodbye with Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman which was played at my best friend's funeral. We went on a cruise on an Italian ship shortly after and they played it every time we left a port!

Camelotclub Tue 20-Aug-19 10:28:24

My mother could never bear to listen to "Que Sera Sera" by Doris Day. It brought back unhappy memories of Perry Barr!

I can't stand "Mirror Man" by Human League or "Total Eclipse of the Heart". Reminds me of long lonely days in a bedsit in Chiswick.

jaylucy Tue 20-Aug-19 10:37:45

"Memories" from the musical Cats always brings a tear - it was played on the radio just after it was in the news that a friend had died after a speedway accident.
"Smile" by Nat King Cole and "Beautiful World" by Louis Armstrong always remind me of my late father who always used to sing along with both songs - one of the reasons that we had "Jerusalem" sung at his funeral as we could all remember him singing along every time it was on Songs of Praise !

TrendyNannie6 Tue 20-Aug-19 10:40:22

Love is all around played at my dads funeral still upsets me years later, and a different corner which my mum liked both I can no longer listen to

Jeanlizzie Tue 20-Aug-19 10:50:18

Mines the "day before you came by ABBA, I was singing along to it on the radio, and my ex husband came in and told me he was leaving , the day before you went really, luckily it's not played a lot
And one day at a time by lena Martell that mum had played at my gorgeous grandmas funeral

Skinnylizzie Tue 20-Aug-19 10:57:55

Jim Croce singing ‘ so many flowers.....’ always makes me cry. It’s one of the reasons I became a teacher.

EllieB52 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:03:54

I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder. Sadly my husband played this - for his mistress (now second wife)!! I feel my blood pressure rise every time I hear it.

blueskies Tue 20-Aug-19 11:10:22

MawB Oh Dear. We requested Sailing By for my husband's humanist service but they got it wrong and Rod Stewart sang I Am Sailing. Thinking back he was so happy when he was sailing it really didn't matter. Both still make me cry though.

nannypiano Tue 20-Aug-19 11:16:07

When my baby son's dad decided marriage and fatherhood was not for him and walked away from us, the song of the day was Father Jack is it true what mother says, you won't be back , oh noo oh no- or something like that. It was on the radio daily, reminding me I was left to bring my lovely boys up alone. I was mostly sad for them without a dad. They were the only ones in primary school without two parents. It was awful, but we still had a good life, even if it was a struggle.

granjan15 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:17:09

“Love is all around” played at my mum’s funeral. Always makes me feel sad.

Nannyme Tue 20-Aug-19 11:35:53

Hey Jude, reminds me of my first real love, sadly he loved someone else more than me.

granjan66 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:41:47

We've Only Just Begun by the Carpenters. My then boyfriend told me he had gotten engaged to a girl who he always claimed was just a friend. That song was playing on the car radio. Years later and happily married, I saw him again and he was at least 50 lbs overweight. The song I thank God for Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks came to mind!

Annaram1 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:43:14

My husband and I always had separate rooms, but when he started showing signs of Alzheimers I moved into his room, and we used to play Elvis Presley songs in bed. At the crematorium service Elvis sang some of his religious songs, including "Oh Lord my God." Still reminds me of my dear husband now, and the horrible illness he suffered from.

Sweetpea60 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:52:55

Unforgettable by nat king cole played at my fathers funeral. He truley was unforgettable

lemongrove Tue 20-Aug-19 11:55:01

Isn’t she lovely by Stevie Wonder.This was playing all the time on the radio ( until I could get to it and turn it off!).
I had just lost our baby ( stillborn, and a girl.)
Fortunately I haven’t heard this track for a long time.

Sar53 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:56:21

We played 'Mama' by Il Divo at my mum's funeral, she loved their music but I cannot listen to it without crying, like I'm doing now !!!
I also find it hard to listen to 'Time to say goodbye' for the same reasons.
Music is a very powerful medium.

Dee1012 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:59:45

Secret love, the Kathy Kirby version makes me literally break down.
I was 15 and suffering from unrequited teenage love. Sitting in the kitchen crying to my lovely Dad about it all when that song came on the radio.
He held my hand and made me dance with him. Afterwards, every time we heard it, we'd 'jive' together, including a memorable version in the local shopblush.
Wonderful warm, loving and funny memories but they also break my heart.

GinJeannie Tue 20-Aug-19 12:10:01

It’s a hymn for me, ‘The old rugged cross’. My late father often sang it, especially after a beer or two, and it was played at his funeral. He’d died suddenly and I never had chance to say goodbye. It’s beautiful but makes me so emotional.

Jaye53 Tue 20-Aug-19 12:13:49

Can I also send flowers to you all.so so sad stories and memoriesthanks