Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris manspreading!!

(139 Posts)
Lessismore Thu 22-Aug-19 15:53:28

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/22/emmanuel-macron-backs-month-of-talks-to-agree-brexit-deal

Is this a good look? Feet on the coffee table?

Callistemon Fri 23-Aug-19 16:33:00

I don't think so - we're not discussing Merkel's wardrobe or size are we?

Tillybelle Fri 23-Aug-19 16:20:16

Neilspurgeon0 Opal

Did you learn anything about Boris' plans for the Irish border?

Tillybelle Fri 23-Aug-19 16:15:03

Dandelions.
put a woman in there and everyone starts discussing her wardrobe or how fat/thin she is

Really? Everyone?

Nearly 65 years ago, I attended a co-ed Grammar School. We had a brilliant Debating Society. We held debates every week and observed the debating procedures. We also entered debating Competitions with enormous success.
There was never any difference between the boys and the girls in their debating skill, the content of their debate, the subject matter, attitude of delivery or in any other way. There was never any loss of respect for each other and it did not cross our minds to think about what a person looked like in regard to their physical appearance.

I do not agree with you that people just discuss a woman for her appearance. For example, I have been a keen follower of BBC2 Newsnight for years. I admire the women Presenters as much as the men and do not get distracted by their clothes, body shape, make-up or anything about their appearance. They are a brilliant, highly intelligent and very well informed group of professional people and I really enjoy hearing them interview the guests and make them stick to the question. Their appearance does not affect me. If there be any simpletons who cannot listen to anything presented by a woman without being distracted by her size or dress, then that is their problem. They are a minority.

I think we are a long way past the day when "put a woman in there and everyone starts discussing her wardrobe or how fat/thin she is".

trisher Fri 23-Aug-19 16:13:31

Well Macron says to Boris "You could put your feet up," so Boris does it and a photo is taken which makes him look a prat. But don't worry because the prat is negotiating a new Brexit deal and everything is going to be fine!!!! Macron must be laughing himself sick.

Opal Fri 23-Aug-19 16:03:52

Couldn't agree more Neilspurgeon0, I despair of the BBC and refuse to watch their News programmes anymore, shame so many people are sucked into their news slants, instead of thinking for themselves.

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 23-Aug-19 15:57:25

No Dandilions which is why at least our current PM is trying to gain some rapport, working the room, doing his best to get a deal and if the f*()ing BBC could be as positive about what he is trying to do as ITV was last night (please all DO compare the two utterly different ten o’clock news reports) then just MAYBE something worth while might come out of two men joking around and seemingly, getting on quite well.

Tillybelle Fri 23-Aug-19 15:54:30

Macron may have scored a point on the "force him to do a character-crushing pose for a photo" game, but it doesn't take my attention from the main point.

What is going to happen about the backstop? Boris is so stubborn over it. I cannot see the rest of Europe letting us leave without a backstop agreement. They would be crazy to do so!

To quote the Guardian:
"Johnson has repeatedly said the backstop – an insurance plan to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland – must go in order to avoid a no-deal exit. He argues it could leave the UK tied to the EU indefinitely.

But Macron said the backstop was both an indispensable guarantee for the stability of Ireland and a means of protecting the integrity of the European single market, and that any new UK ideas had to respect that."

Boris will not budge on it, but neither will he tell us what his plan is if the EU will not accept anything without a backstop. He has not told us what his plans are in the case of us being forced to leave with no deal. He has not explained how this would result in a hard border in Ireland and what his plans are to mitigate the disaster that a hard border would bring to the businesses on the Irish border. He just obstinately says he will not be tied to a backstop!

Is he crazy? Does he think that a trading group of nations is going to accept that we, a nation not part of their economic agreements, can live next door trading back and forth across the border with them for free with no agreement as to how we make up for the fact that we do not contribute to their tasing group any more? Does Boris really think it will all even out with what passes both ways? How naive is that?

I feel so sorry for the Irish who live and run their businesses near the border! They must be in a state of Clinical Anxiety by now! There are farmers who produce milk, I understand, whose farms and connections with Dairies concerns crossing the border several times. How on earth can Boris let them suffer, thinking he will not avoid a hard border, or else he will drive us into a no-deal exit, which obviously would be catastrophic and anyway would force us into endlessly trying to make little deals over this and that for years to come at enormous expense and loss of business and money.

I don't really care if M. Macron can get Boris to cock his leg onto a stool/low table or not. I am sure that during a relentlessly long discussion, they need to make the odd mood-raising joke.

I am terribly worried about the exit from the EU. I am sick with worry about Northern Ireland and the repercussions that not paying attention to their needs will have. N. Ireland has enjoyed such a long period of peaceful prosperity and good relationships with the mainland, I absolutely dread the people there feeling that they were sold down the river over Brexit and that the mainland did not give a damn about them. I am at the point of not being able to take much more of it.

It is embarrassing, nay galling, to me that our Leaders have come out of this process looking so unprofessional and silly while people among the EU leaders have been statesmanlike and have spoken with advice to us in measured and fair tones. I feel that the UK still plays at Politics, with its constant brawling against each other and acting as though it won't matter because they will just shout louder and get their own way.

They behave as if it is a matter of rich "chaps" having fun saying lots of rude things about the opposition and then going for a drink and huge dinner together. Whereas on the continent it is taken seriously, and discussed purposefully in an up to date and businesslike manner, showing respect for each other.

I often wish I could have moved to live in France when I was in my 30s!

Dandelions Fri 23-Aug-19 15:22:18

My only thought when I saw the clip this morning was how I couldn't imagine Theresa May displaying such over familiar comradery(sp?) and thought perhaps this was her downfall. Men seem to be able to build rapport very quickly man to man, Trump being a prime example, whereas put a woman in there and everyone starts discussing her wardrobe or how fat/thin she is.

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 23-Aug-19 15:07:47

It was a joke.macron told Boris to put his feet up and relax. Honestly manspreading be bolloxed, you need to get a sense of humour

Callistemon Fri 23-Aug-19 15:07:17

What a storm in a teacup!!

Ou une tempête dans une verre d'eau!!

Unbelievable!

Esmerelda Fri 23-Aug-19 15:06:53

As I already knew that the photo was printed out of context and that the two men were sharing a joke about low tables and footstools I did wonder at the righteous indignation shown at the beginning of this thread. Knee-jerk reactions to fake news indeed, Harmonygranny. But then I've often thought how self-satisfied and judgemental a lot of people who follow this kind of post are ... time they took a good long hard look at themselves, I feel.

lemongrove Fri 23-Aug-19 15:03:06

Harmonygranny and others of the same viewpoint....I totally agree, there was no manspreading or anything else going on, having watched the footage.It was a light moment between the two men to ease tensions.
Anyone who thinks different needs to actually watch it.
Social Media is full of hysteria.

Harmonygranny Fri 23-Aug-19 12:57:26

Yes I too was taken in by the original photo yesterday but have since seen it in context. Macron jokingly invited Johnson to use the table as a footstool, which he did, very briefly and the moment was caught on camera.
I'm not a fan of this prime minister, but am more worried about knee-jerk reactions to the increasing incidence of fake news.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:39:51

Rosina, totally agree

Rosina Fri 23-Aug-19 12:35:58

GrannyGravy I too couldn't agree more with Beckett. Perhaps - and here I go potentially inviting a load of vitriol - wouldn't it be wiser not to denigrate and insult the Prime Minister, whoever he/she might be, as the person holding that office is on the world stage representing this country, and appears to have done no more than swing his foot. I really can't see that action has rendered him a dupe, buffoon, or whatever else he has been called here - rather the press are trying to make us all dupes by blowing absolutely nothing in to something. Whatever BJ has done in the past, that was then and this is now, and we need to be watching the real news. 'It is as it is', he is Prime Minister, and I believe the office deserves respect and support, whatever your politics, for the sake of the nation.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:34:52

God nooo looks awful. I would smack his leg down

Nanny41 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:15:47

Extremely rude, and a disgrace to Britain,What a message to the rest of the world!
It is show business!

Magrithea Fri 23-Aug-19 12:05:12

They were joking about the small tables being like footstools and, of course, the anti-Boris press will find a way to denigrate him

Soozikinzi Fri 23-Aug-19 11:54:41

If you watch the video clip his foot was only there for a second they were having a little joke Macron said these coffee tables look like footstools . I’m no Boris fan at all by the way but the clip makes it clear it was a pleasant joke between them .

fifey Fri 23-Aug-19 11:50:42

Boris Johnson was actually invited to put his feet on the table by Macron before he did it. Shown in video report.

Alexa Fri 23-Aug-19 11:39:07

Becket I would be happier if the Prime Minister did act humanely.

Alexa Fri 23-Aug-19 11:33:36

Mr Johnson will be aware the the soles of his shoes never touch the unpleasant things most of us have to deal with.

GabriellaG54 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:29:18

Some people, mark ? my words, need to get a life instead of making ridiculous comments about metaphor.
Wooden and spoon come to mind...as usual from that quarter.

Grandmabeach Fri 23-Aug-19 11:27:22

I really hate the way the press headline one photograph without telling the complete story. If you look at the recording Boris was admiring the tables and Macron suggested that he could always put his feet up and make himself comfortable. Boris jokingly put one foot up and, of course, the press were ready.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:22:24

Johnson fell for Macron’s stitch up - hook, line and sinker.

This is now winging around the world, and is a metaphor for how the world see the British.

Boorish and uncouth.