Gransnet forums

Chat

Landscape changing.....feeling s

(50 Posts)
Lessismore Sun 25-Aug-19 16:41:14

I can't quite articulate this but does anybody else feel things have shifted....changed a great deal in a very short period of time?
Things I thought were constant are no longer there and we live in a strange transitory zone. Messages come and go, friends the same....I have lost any sense of what is steady.

Fennel Mon 26-Aug-19 12:18:39

quizqueen - yes it's the pace of change, which keeps speeding up.
Who knows, we might be able to have a brain implant soon, to programme our attitudes and behaviour.

M0nica Mon 26-Aug-19 10:46:25

Ah, the 1960s, the Cold War, the policy of Mutally Assured Destruction, the Cuban missile crisis, the 1968 Czech rebellion and crushing by the Soviets, the excesses of Mao Tse Tung and the Great Leap Forward.

Since the current unemployment rate is close to those prevalent in the 1960s, relative to total unemployment despite the entry of millions of women entering the umemployment market. The work situation may be different, but not worse.

I lived in London, was politically active and can remember Rachmanism, Cathy come home, and many immigrants from the West Indies living in appalling conditions. I had a friend from Jamaica, who would never invite me to her home, her living conditions were so bad.

quizqueen Mon 26-Aug-19 09:56:15

I think the world is a very unsecure place, more so now than when I became an adult ( 1960s), everything did seem more rosy then-easier to get a job and buy a house, less crime, pop music, not so much reliance on benefits but people complained less. It seemed the best of times.

Now animals are becoming extinct at a faster rate, the planet's resources are being used up, leaders, royalty, the police etc. being revealed as not to be trusted, people wanting to change sex, overpopulation, more violent crimes and so on.

I think it's time for a second flood.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 26-Aug-19 09:39:06

Life is a moving continuum - it changes all the time and it's moving even faster now. Technology is flying and leaving my generation in its wake.

Sometimes it feels like things are more important than people and that's sad and bad for humanity.

Gonegirl Mon 26-Aug-19 09:33:26

Ah! You might have been watching it on the telly. In which case the respect goes to the grandkids.

#afterholidaybrain

Gonegirl Mon 26-Aug-19 09:30:51

Meant the whole weekend of course

Gonegirl Mon 26-Aug-19 09:29:41

'spect you're travelling home now. Weather was great for it wasn't it. Been a good year for the festivals weatherwise.

Gonegirl Mon 26-Aug-19 09:26:53

merlotgran!!! Respect (and a bit of envy). I was lying in bed listening to it. It got quite frantic at the end didn't it! Daughter reckons she could hear it fifteen miles away! I love hearing it, although to my shame, I've never actually been.

Were you there for a whole weekend?

sodapop Mon 26-Aug-19 08:35:28

I sometimes feel disconnected from things which are going on in the world. I have reached the age where I look back and wish I had done some things differently but know I can't change that so I do the best I can now. I feel I am living in a bit of a bubble in my rural retreat.

Pantglas1 Mon 26-Aug-19 06:37:20

Your last couple of sentences are so true BradfordLass72 - we can control so much more than we do, if we want to!

BradfordLass72 Mon 26-Aug-19 01:03:09

Lessismore I think I know what you mean.

When we were younger, life changed quite slowly from year to year and we had time to catch up. We were not manipulated as we are today by constant advertising on TV, adverts, Internet.

Now things change so rapidly: foods come and go; every year new 'fashion' toys; new gadgets, the latest widget.
Everyone has to buy, buy, buy, filling their homes with 'stuff' in a mad attempt to satisfy a craving for advertised goods.

That's not how I grew up either. The world wasn't run for one purpose - to make a vast profits at any cost, as it is now.

Yes of course businesses always wanted to succeed and survive, even grow but not at the cost and expense of lives lost or ruined as seems normal today. Not at the cost of polluting and raping our earth with absolutely no care at all for the next generations.

I love technology and have had computers since the early 80's, but here again, the incredibly rapid changes in IT have left me breathless.

New cellphone models every year when we all know that a well-made cellphone can easily last a decade or more if we were not all pushed into buying new ones by either a craving to keep up - or the fact they are made NOT to last or be supported by updates, simply so you will be forved to buy the latest model.

And I won't even go into what all that waste is doing.....

Apart from a few ethical companies (thank goodness) there are no morals in the bigger industries (as we saw when the US finance world collapsed) and although they are clever at PR, trying to make us think they care, scratch the surface and we find rapacious greed, rot and inhumane humans.

This is not my familiar world any longer.

I don't long for the past and I admire innovation and change but once $$$$ became the priority and once we threw in our lot with this idea by allowing businesses to manipulated and brainwash us into their way of thinking, 'must have latest/newest/most fashionable' then there was no going back.

Who is now going to return to a simpler, more ethical way of living?

We are already talking about the expense and hassle of Christmas and yet every one of us knows we could change it if we wanted.

But we are too hooked in to what we've been brainwashed to believe is 'necessary'.

SueH49 Mon 26-Aug-19 00:13:00

I think that for most of our lives there has been a steady progression of things in life. However, since technology became such a huge part of life the progression has sped up incredibly.

For example we had tape recorders, video tapes, etc which were around for years and there was then a slow change to CD's and DVD's. Then before we knew it DVD's were replaced by Blue Ray which were around for a short time before they were replaced by something else. CD's, transistors, rotary phones - or even push button ones are all old hat and as soon as we get used to something it seems it is replaced by the newest and "best" technology can offer. It is all changing so quickly and I think that is perhaps why the OP feels as she does.

merlotgran Sun 25-Aug-19 23:42:47

My personal landscape is ever changing. I think there's a bit of a chameleon about me.

At the moment I'm watching the Foo Fighters at Reading festival and hoping DGD1 is sitting on her big brother's shoulders or she'll be trampled.

Tomorrow I might feel like taking up knitting. grin

Fiachna56 Sun 25-Aug-19 22:58:09

I kind of get what you mean. Ive often felt life was simpler when I was younger. Though I am at the most content Ive ever been. Unfortunately,not at my healthiest but I try to eat healthy. I am thankful for many things. The fact I can still get out,even though some days are tiring. Im thankful for my family and enjoy helping out with my grandchild. Regarding the landscape, these islands have survived two world wars and other conflicts. We are a resilient lot and am,sure we can be again. Sorry, didnt mean that to sound so political, but I think folk will know what I mean. We all have to look to the future and although we should value our past, we cannot and should not live in it.

notanan2 Sun 25-Aug-19 22:46:37

I think you mean "goal posts". And yes, I think a hell of a lot of goal posts have shifted in recent years and it really is ovetwhelming if you dwell on it

M0nica Sun 25-Aug-19 22:40:28

Lessismore I think I know what you mean.

I think part of it is that as children and even in late teens/early twenties, time moves very slowly and something that continues for 5 years seems a lifetime and immutable. Rules set then, behaviours set then seem - are - the base of our lives.

Then as we get older move from childhood neighbourhoods (mental and physical) we see and meet and live in a world where others treat entirely different ideas to ours, including ideas that directly contradict ours as being as fixed and immutable as our core beliefs.

It can be unsettling and unnerving when this happens and I think when we are young we embrace a certain amount of change, this is why young people are hard wired to challenge, risk and sometimes act foolishly, but when we settle, have children we are again in that world of settled values, once children grow up we are once again thrown into that changing world. This is why when people get older they get set in their ways and resistant to change. It is a way of anchoring their lives in a frequently changing world.

I think each person finds their own adjustment. For many it is resistance to change. I have tried to look back and see how continuous change has always been. When I look back to my grandparents, especially one grandmother and see the changes she saw in her lifetime from a time when road transport was entirely dependent on the horse to the complete replacement of the horse by cars, buses lorries, etc etc, commercial aviation and so many other changes. In her lifetime women got the vote and began to enter the professions. I can do this exercise with my mother, myself and even my DD. It brings the realisation that life has always been changing and childhood was not the period of certainty it often seems in retrospect.

Once we can accept that the past was not that settled state we thought it was, but rather a function of our youth when short periods of time seemed very long, I have found it easier to accept that change is always with us and quite literally we sink or swim. I have tried to opt for swimming.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 25-Aug-19 21:35:26

Lessismore

If we do look back - it can go any way.

For some, as I have read, they had a carefree hedonistic life in their earlier years.
For some, they could look back and think "I wish ... / If only ..."
For other, and this is me, I look back and think "Thank goodness I did sorted myself and my future out".

This will happen with every generation there is.

Lessismore Sun 25-Aug-19 21:05:10

never mind, there is no exactly.

lemongrove Sun 25-Aug-19 21:04:29

WOODMOUSE ( great name btw) I would like to think I had another 20 years too!?

lemongrove Sun 25-Aug-19 21:02:12

Looked back and wondered what exactly lessismore?
Do you mean you wished you had done better, made bad choices etc? Surely we all do that?

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 25-Aug-19 20:58:10

I've posted before and have come back to read more posts.

I'm certainly in the minority. I read Mossfarr post and my heart lifted. Someone like me.

If you want to escape Fennel that can happen in more counties than Derbyshire. The rural parts of Derbyshire, in places, are beautiful, slow and can be tranquil (sometimes). I spent my first 55 years there. But many areas are definitely not. I had quite a miserable time there in the 1970 - 1990s. If there was a worry/stress to be had, I had it. I fought strong to break free of them.

As I've said before, I see changes as challenges. Perhaps it's those around us that make us feel things have changed for the worse. Like Mossfarr and her husband.

None of us how much longer we have. At 69, I'm hoping for at least another 20 years. I intend to stay looking forward to the next day and I do listen / watch the news and talk to those a lot younger than myself.

Lessismore Sun 25-Aug-19 20:53:45

Oh well, indeed you are blessed, never to have looked back and wondered...

lemongrove Sun 25-Aug-19 20:36:10

Perhaps it’s simply a getting older feeling? That we won’t be here for all that long now?

lemongrove Sun 25-Aug-19 20:34:29

Fortunately, I don’t feel anything like that lessismore and have never looked at the past as golden.Things change, yes,
But change is normal and necessary most of the time.
I don’t feel that people are different either or that as a society we have somehow ‘lost our way’ and become less moral.
In many ways society is more moral now than at any time in history.
Traditions and customs change, words in our language
change, but despite that, things change very slowly.
People hardly change at all, so much is hardwired into our very beings.

Lessismore Sun 25-Aug-19 19:33:42

no sorry, it's not a harking back, that is futile, its a sense a feeling a long forgotten smell, morality/decency a sense of right and wrong...