Gransnet forums

Chat

What are your facilities like ?

(175 Posts)
NanKate Mon 26-Aug-19 14:53:26

I was reading in the paper today that many people buying houses today want a number of bathrooms/showers/loos.

We have a bathroom and added a shower room some years ago but we would still like a downstairs loo but there isn’t any room.

My Nan’s facilities were at the bottom of the garden and it had 2 seats ?

SueDonim Mon 26-Aug-19 18:05:51

Five beds, one main bathroom with shower over bath, one ensuite with shower over bath and one cloakroom with loo/washbasin.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 26-Aug-19 18:11:00

3 bed house, 1 bathroom with bath, loo and shower. No room for a downstairs loo or utility room..It does keep the cleaning down though. Quite happy with it.

jura2 Mon 26-Aug-19 18:12:12

This old monster was a Vicarage with parish facilities attached. That means 3 downstairs WCs and 1 or 2 bedrooms- and 4 very large bedrooms upstairs with a bathroom at each end- the new one for guests is an Italian style shower room (slate, steel and glass, sloping, no tray with WC- the other one shower over bath + wc. We did not downsize.

Katyj Mon 26-Aug-19 18:17:48

Just moved from a three bedroom , three storey new build town house with two ensuite top floor and a shower room ground floor, living room and kitchen were on the middle floor so you had to go up or down to use them.We've moved to a two bed house, with two ensuite and a downstairs loo.I love it

MawB Mon 26-Aug-19 18:18:01

2 upstairs bathrooms (both with showers), 1en suite and a downstairs cloakroom.
Pretty normal I believe

Fennel Mon 26-Aug-19 18:18:36

@ sodapop - I know what you mean. I think you're in rural France where usually there's no mains drains. And battling with SPANC to get something acceptable.
One of the positives of coming back is not to have to worry about sewage.

MamaCaz Mon 26-Aug-19 18:25:24

For the first twelve years in this house, all we had was a downstairs bathroom - toilet, basin and bath in a horrible little room that had been built onto the (1930's) house in the 'seventies.
No insulation, and only a tiny dimplex heater to take the edge off the chill in the winter. Bad enough a family of four having to traipse down the stairs and through the living room and kitchen in the middle of the night, but in winter you needed a coat too.
It was bliss when one of the little bedrooms was made into a bathroom ten years ago. The old bathroom is now a sort of junk room but we were able to keep the toilet ( not the bath) in there and often wonder how we ever managed before we had a 'spare'!

Susan56 Mon 26-Aug-19 18:38:36

We too are a three toilet household!!Bathroom,en-suite and downstairs loo

LightAmber Mon 26-Aug-19 21:11:16

We have 2 en-suite shower rooms, a family bathroom and 2 downstairs loos, one at the front of the house and the other near the conservatory. It is a big house! blush

I grew up in a house with one bathroom (2 adults and 4 teenagers)

DoraMarr Mon 26-Aug-19 21:20:29

I live in a fairly new two bedroomed apartment with an en-suite bathroom with a shower, and a second bathroom with a bath. I rarely use the bath, but the grandchildren do. I’m thinking of taking out the bath and making the room into a utility room, with the washing machine and some storage in there. I think modern apartments are built with an eye to flatsharing, so two bathrooms is a good idea. I like having a guest toilet, but don’t really need the bath. Growing up, there were six children, and we had one bathroom with the only toilet in it. Bath nights were rationed and on a strict timetable, and it was always best to announce you were going to have a bath to avoid agonised cries of “I need a wee!” From your siblings just as you had sunk into the bath.

boho43 Mon 26-Aug-19 21:29:57

3 Bedroom House with en-suite, family bathroom , & downstairs cloakroom. Never use the bath, will put in shower when funds allow.

Greyduster Mon 26-Aug-19 22:14:50

When we moved a downstairs toilet was a prerequisite. We also have an en-suite shower room and a main bathroom
with a walk in shower, having ditched the bath. I am another who grew up in a house that had no indoor facilities. DH was posh; they had a bathroom! Mind you, the bath was about the same size and shape as an old fashioned coffin!

Eloethan Mon 26-Aug-19 22:25:17

We have one (small) bathroom/WC. It's a nuisance, especially since my husband spends over an hour in the shower and gets ratty if I need to go to the loo. The only place we could fit another toilet is under the stairs and I don't like the idea of that, or the expense involved. (Also, our over-the-bath shower hasn't worked for nine years so just use a jug to rinse off).

Still, I know we are very lucky compared to a lot of people.

Allegretto Mon 26-Aug-19 22:29:13

4 bedroomed 1930s house with one large family bathroom which has bath and big walk-in shower. We don’t have any en-suites but do have a downstairs cloakroom with toilet and basin. I wish now that we had made an en-suite bathroom when the children were here, but there is not any need for it now that there are just the 2 of us in the house.

annep1 Mon 26-Aug-19 23:48:11

One bathroom upstairs with walk in shower and bath. I would love a bidet.
I would also love a downstairs loo. When I had bursitis we had to put a chemical loo under the stairs. We are discussing an extension for a downstairs bathroom and utility room.
But I feel it would be easier to move to a bungalow. Not easy to find and we have a lovely south facing garden and 10-15 minutes walk to train station, shops and doctors.
I think it's good that new houses must be built with a downstairs loo.

SueH49 Mon 26-Aug-19 23:59:22

We have a single story 3 bedroom house with a family bathroom, separate loo and an ensuite. Would not be without an ensuite and two loos (nor would I have a 2+ story home). We rarely use the family bathroom now there is only 2 of us.

At some stage in my teenage years we lived in a rented house, we were a family of 8 and there was a flat in the back yard where another 2 lived. We all shared an outside, albeit septic, loo. I suspect the lemon trees were well watered by the males but we did manage.

Sara65 Tue 27-Aug-19 06:44:20

One wet room, one shower room, one bathroom one big family bathroom with both. The bathroom is a complete waste of space, one bath is enough, when funds allow it’ll be turned into another shower room, that’s if we don’t move first!

Blinko Tue 27-Aug-19 06:51:48

....my grandparents lived in an area of coal mining in the Black Country, perhaps they all had outside loos except the owner of the Pits.

I still live in the Black Country. Both sets of grandparents had bathrooms and loos inside their 1930s houses. My GGPs however, did have outside loos. Inside bathrooms, though.

We have two en suite shower rooms, a main bathroom and an additional loo downstairs.

Things move on, don't they?

TwiceAsNice Tue 27-Aug-19 08:40:30

I downsized from a 3 bed so with a bathroom , en suite shower room and downstairs toilet ( both bathrooms had a toilet as well) to a one bed flat with one bathroom with shower over the bath. I only use the bath occasionally on the winter but the grandchildren use it .

I remember as a child using the outside toilet at my grandmothers

sodapop Tue 27-Aug-19 08:49:25

You are right Fennel mains drainage is non existent in our commune. Our house is on the road so no fosse either. You don't want to know what happens to our sewage..
When we bought the house 14 years ago the Notaire told us we would be on mains drainage within the year, we naively believed him.

BlueSapphire Tue 27-Aug-19 08:50:01

En-suite, family bathroom and downstairs cloakroom, so three. I grew up in a council house in the 1950s, and we had two even then - one in the bathroom upstairs, and one in the outhouse. My aunty had only one, outside, and no bathroom at all, so if we went to stay it was a wash in the scullery sink.

Sar53 Tue 27-Aug-19 08:51:26

We live in a two bedroom flat with an ensuite shower room and a main bathroom which we have recently gutted and installed a large walk in shower. Neither of us ever used the bath. We love our new bathroom !!. Toilets in both rooms, one each !!
When I was growing up we didn't have a bathroom, tin bath in the kitchen and an outside toilet.

Teetime Tue 27-Aug-19 09:02:35

I think its about what you get used to. This this the first house we have had with two bathrooms and a utility room and now DH says if we move we must have the same. I grew up with one outside loo and a tin bath on Saturday nights too - he didn't!

fizzers Tue 27-Aug-19 09:04:36

I remember both sets of grandparents having an outside loo, and both had a tin bath hung up. Me personally, I only have a small two bedroomed house so I have a bath/shower / toilet upstairs.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 27-Aug-19 09:10:32

I've lived in a small Cornish cottage for 6 years now (it used to be a smithy for the mine in 1890s). One room with mezzanine level for the bed. 32m2 in total.

No toilet. Bath under a worktop in the kitchen area with hot water from the back boiler (log fire). OK in winter when the log fire makes the hot water but in summer we connect a pipe up to the little gas water heater above the kitchen sink. Takes about 1/2 hour to fill the bath with enough water to cover the essentials! .

Toilet is a compost one outside. Wood shavings. Not ideal in bad weather or if you get caught out in the night. Wellies and coat are always ready by the door.

We have almost finished building our new house. It stands next to the cottage. It is a 94m2 bungalow. Bathroom and ensuite (shower) so 2 inside loos. Luxury.

The compost loo will still be used as we work outside such a lot. It is also good for the compost bins. (grin)

BTW - cottage is staying as it is. Need a spare bed for family/friends. Thinking of airB+~B for next year though.