Gransnet forums

Chat

No Sense of Smell - is it only me?

(3 Posts)
paddyann Tue 27-Aug-19 10:19:04

my friend has this although it only happened in the past few years,it was discovered there were polyps in the nasal passages and once they were removed the sense of smell returned

Teetime Tue 27-Aug-19 09:07:51

I dont think anosmia is that rare. My father had it as well as an enormously deviated septum which he passed on to both myself and my daughter although we both have a sense of smell. It can also happen after a head injury.

giulia Tue 27-Aug-19 05:21:58

I have been without any sense of smell since I was born.
I am now in my seventies and until now I have never met anybody with the same condition. People think I am very odd or simply don't believe me.

Surely, I can't be the only one. Does anyone out there have the same problem? How has it affected you?

Obviously, it has caused me some problems and I risked going up in smoke on one occasion: in the mid nineteen sixties, I was au pair in France in a small house, looking after a ten-year-old boy. I cooked his lunch for him every day but once I was so wrapped up in the book I was reading that I forgot the time. The little boy came in from school, covered his mouth with his scarf and shouted Gas! Gas!

I had been sitting in a gas-filled kitchen (a gas tap had been inadvertently turned on) and if I had got up to cook the lunch the Whole house could have exploded

It's no big deal on the whole - not like it must be for those who are impaired of any of the other senses. However, it seems strange that the lack of a sense of smell should be so rare.