Gransnet forums

Chat

Ruined holidays

(105 Posts)
Mossfarr Wed 28-Aug-19 17:07:19

It was pitch black when we arrived late in the evening at our apartment in Rhodes. After the long journey with two cranky babies we just went straight to bed.
In the morning we were horrified - it was absolutely filthy, right next to an extremely busy main road and in the middle of nowhere - not at all as described!
We immediately contacted the rep but she was totally disinterested and refused to do anything as it was late in the season and she said all other accommodation was closed for the winter. She was going home et the end of our visit so couldn't have cared less!
As my daughter was still at the crawling stage her clothes were filthy every time she moved, the dirt was then transferred to the furniture which doubled as the childrens beds. I had to rip up the murky grey towels and scrub the floors on my hands and knees.
My husband fell ill on the third day and couldn't even get out of bed, I had to look after him, do the shopping and cooking, entertain the children, clean everywhere etc etc.
Just as my OH was staring to feel better I fell ill - it was so bad I wanted to die!
There was an elderly Greek couple who lived close by and they were absolutely marvellous to us. I really don't know how we would have managed without them.

It was over twenty years before we dared to revisit Rhodes, we went 5* all inclusive and it was fabulous.

I now check dozens of review sites before I book anything and so far that has served us well!

KatyK Wed 28-Aug-19 16:45:13

Only one. We booked a gite in France many years ago. It was a dirty, filthy, slum. There were fly papers hanging from the ceiling, covered with flies, house bricks in the shower, a hole in the kitchen floor which had been covered with lino. The sheets on the beds were wet with damp. There were cow pats and beer cans in the garden. It was described as having a barbecue which was three house bricks one side, three the other with a rack from an oven placed across them. We couldn't stay there it was disgusting. When I tried to get my money back, the owner said 'No one else has complained, you must have high standards'!!!!

GagaJo Wed 28-Aug-19 16:21:13

Yes! Too many times to recount.

To the point where I now prefer NOT to away on holiday. It's so hit and miss whether the hotel / area / weather / other holiday makers are ok.

I remember one awful year when our 2 week annual holiday was horrible. With only 4 weeks annual holiday allocation from work, 2 terrible weeks AND a lot of money was wasted.

Minniemoo Wed 28-Aug-19 16:20:53

Burst into tears.

It was very late though and I'd not slept for 36 hours due to working a night shift before we headed off.

Didn't like the hotel at all. Went to bed planning to just go to another hotel the next day but upon wakening decided it was OK so we stayed!

I think if a hotel was dirty or noisy I'd just find another hotel

Celeste21 Wed 28-Aug-19 16:17:21

Some friends are in Spain at the moment but have texted their disappointment with the hotel, but the children are happy so they’re putting up with it. But it got me wondering, have you ever arrived at your holiday accommodation and it’s been utterly intolerable. Home or abroad? What did you do?