Gransnet forums

Chat

Wish me luck - job interview today

(121 Posts)
fizzers Thu 29-Aug-19 08:44:19

At 63 years old I'm going for my first job interview in over 25 years years today. After taking redundancy and early retirement, dwindling funds is forcing me back into the job market.

I finished work over two years ago and within a few months I became my mother's carer practically 24/7 up until she passed away at Christmas. I wasn't entitled to any financial help and my pension didn't cover my bills so have used the pension pot.

I don't know how I feel, I see people around me with a multitude of kids, who have never worked a day in their lives and here's me at 63 having to go back to work. I'm physically and mentally drained

Oh goodness I turned this into a moan! Just wanted some good luck wishes! have a good day everyone

Carillion01 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:26:45

Good luck fizzers, go for it! X ??

Nonnie Thu 29-Aug-19 10:30:43

Best of luck, sounds stimulating. Just go for it you have nothing to lose and will learn from the experience

Urmstongran Thu 29-Aug-19 10:35:03

The very best of luck fizzers!
☘️

Luckygirl Thu 29-Aug-19 10:35:20

Good luck.

Hold your head up high and sock it to them!

Make a list of all the skills that have been entailed in bringing up a family as well as in previous jobs.

Sara65 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:48:56

If it’s any encouragement, we hired a man after he retired to do odd jobs and a few deliveries, that’s got to be at least twenty years ago, and he’s still going strong.

whywhywhy Thu 29-Aug-19 10:56:14

GOOD LUCK! I left work due to stress and ill health when I was 62 and at the age of 67 I wish I had a little job. I get lonely but I struggle with depression on a daily basis. It's a vicious cycle! I know what you mean about people never working, my cousin is now 57 and he has never had a job in his life - just plain bone idle. Let us know how you get on. xx

tiredoldwoman Thu 29-Aug-19 11:06:34

Gosh, how exciting !
Im recovering from a knee replacement and waiting for an appointment for the next knee but am now beginning to wonder if I'll ever get back to work . I tried brushing up my maths yesterday using a Standard grade paper but I was stumped !
Are you going back to a job that you've done in the past ? Or something new ? Good luck , tell us how you got on please !

McGilchrist41 Thu 29-Aug-19 11:07:39

Lots of luck to you, I hope you get the job. After my husband died I,” Retired ,“in theory at sixty-five,and moved near my daughter. I then took temporary jobs and carried on till I was sixty nine when I decided to retire permanently. I really missed the company and buzz of working and now do volunteering.

Londonpussycat Thu 29-Aug-19 11:09:11

Good Luck fixers, go out there and show them what your made of. ??♥️❤️

Londonpussycat Thu 29-Aug-19 11:10:00

Grrrr was meant to say ‘FIZZERS’ , darn autocorrect ?

sodapop Thu 29-Aug-19 12:29:51

Wishing you the best of luck fizzers You have a lifetime of experience, any employer will be lucky to have you.

Doodle Thu 29-Aug-19 12:40:23

Good luck from me too. Hope the interview goes well.

dragonfly46 Thu 29-Aug-19 12:48:47

I got a job at 60 admittedly a part time one but at interview I stressed that my strengths would be that I was more reliable than young people, I had no young family to consider and would turn up even if I was ill. I was stable in that I was not going to move and had years of experience. The experience was not in the appropriate field but I had general life experience. I also have gallons of commons sense. I stressed that I would be loyal to the company - it was a small family firm. I worked for them for over 5 years. I think us oldies have a lot to offer.

Stansgran Thu 29-Aug-19 12:58:22

Good luck op.

SparklyGrandma Thu 29-Aug-19 13:00:23

Good luck fizzers

Jane10 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:02:11

DH particularly looked for retirement age staff as they are more mature, reliable and realistic in expectations. He's fully staffed right now but this was just to say that not all employers are looking for youngsters.
Best of luck at the interview and please let us know how you got on.

Squiffy Thu 29-Aug-19 13:08:56

Good luck fizzers!

mcem Thu 29-Aug-19 14:10:40

Good luck! If this one isn't the job for you, count the fact that you now have interview experience as a bonus!

Oldandverygrey Thu 29-Aug-19 15:20:33

Good luck fizzers hope you do well.

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:00:23

Good luck- at least we older ladies are less likely to be suffering from a night out on the town several evenings a week.

When I was 50 I was up against a girl in her 20's and I think that common sense and longevity at previous places of work worked in my favour. I stayed until I retired at 60 so they got their pound of flesh out of me.

I do hope that all goes well.

fizzers Thu 29-Aug-19 16:11:54

well am back, the job is for the local authority temp agency ( my former employer)

The interview itself went fine but it was the tests where I may have fallen down. I have not used Word or Excel or Databases in well over two years, so was quite rusty. I made mistakes, I know I did.

One part of the testing involved working out the annual pay of part time employees, based on what a full time employee earned, my mind went totally blank, fgs I used to do this as part of my job!!

I suppose it depends on how many applicants they have and how strict they are on marking, I'll know tomorrw

gillybob Thu 29-Aug-19 16:15:27

Oh thank you for coming back to us fizzers. I think sometimes your mind can just go blank when you are nervous, can't it? . I do hope you get the job smile

GabriellaG54 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:52:19

??? fizzers ?

Jane10 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:54:19

I'd hope they'd judge you on a bit more than that though. You'd very soon get up to speed on it. Fingers crossed ?

Grammaretto Thu 29-Aug-19 17:13:50

Good luck fizzers whatever the outcome. That's a huge step and you've done it!!
When I didn't get a job I always said it wasn't meant to be and that another one would come along.