Gransnet forums

Chat

Naming a house

(80 Posts)
Artdecogran Fri 30-Aug-19 13:46:02

Moving to a very small square boring 1960’s bungalow. Just for a laugh and because I can do what I like now I thought I would transform it into a cottage inside. Lots of wood, chintz and pink (have 3 sons so always been masculine colours) flowers, crotcheted blankets and lace. But I want a name to match. I have thought of Cuckoo Cottage as I’m heading that way. What would you call a cottage if you had one?

OPgrndtr Mon 02-Sep-19 23:27:58

I live in the suburbs where we have house numbers. I live in a grey cottage, but when I turned 60 I changed the trim color from white to royal blue. The doors, shutters and porch posts look great. I have a holly hedge and English Ivy growing up and around the porch. At the time there were 3 houses across the street that had mean families that were loud and violent. I took my blue paint and painted on my front porch step in 4 inch letters BE KIND. So now I live in "Be Kind Cottage". It suits my philosophy.

123kitty Mon 02-Sep-19 15:10:56

I bought a 2nd hand cooker from a woman who lived in a tiny, very pretty, country cottage called strawberry hall which I thought a lovely name. I've only lived in modern houses so that name just wouldn't fit.

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 18:01:29

Crotchet Cottage (to match the blankets)

Bekstar Sun 01-Sep-19 17:49:51

I knew an Italian couple (in UK) near us who named their cottage
Cazzo di casa Cottage
I used to think it sounded lovely until my 12 year old bilingual nephew lay on the floor laughing when he read their sign. It finally dawned on me why the local council was insisting they removed the sign n atopped calling it that.

Nansypansy Sun 01-Sep-19 05:20:22

I read somewhere that giving your house a name could add value to the property so I planted a honeysuckle by the front door of my Edwardian terraced house and now call it honeysuckle cottage!

BradfordLass72 Sun 01-Sep-19 00:17:57

Lucy127

I would suspect this is very tongue in cheek smile

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 22:33:27

Although I do think that if you buy a house already named and you don’t like it, just change it, and if it doesn’t have a house name...then name it.Why not?

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 22:31:35

?
Delusions of grandeur?

Lucy127 Sat 31-Aug-19 22:29:27

What do think of this. Down the road a new red brick, 4 bed, detached house has been built. Nothing special. Built in gap along lane of houses and cottages on both sides. At rear there’s fields with farm in distance. It’s been called Farm View Manor! Seriously. Not for fun.

Shirls52000 Sat 31-Aug-19 21:24:13

I d call mine poppy cottage as poppy was my name when I was a Rainbow leader

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 31-Aug-19 21:23:35

We've never given our house a name, but I have named, and made a name plaque, for my Victorian style dolls house - Minuet House. This is a nod to the fact that it's occupants are from time to time posed having a sing-song round the piano, also that as children my sisters and I did similar around the piano at home, and lastly 'Minuet ' is a re-arrangement of the word 'minute' (as in 'small')!

GrandmaCornwall Sat 31-Aug-19 20:42:49

I know someone who named their house Evergreen after a container they had stored in the garden at the time. The name turned out to be well suited much better than all the other names offered at the time.

Phoebes Sat 31-Aug-19 20:17:58

When we moved in to this house 29 years ago, it didn’t have a name, so we called it Casa Rana, meaning Frog House in Spanish. This was because I speak and teach Spanish and I love frogs and there was already a pond in the garden with lots of frogs, which we still have.
We had a local potter make a plaque to go by the door, with a picture of two frogs and the name.
At the Hampton Court Flower Show I managed to find a hanging basket bracket with two frogs on it which hangs by the front door. The whole house has a bit of a frog theme going on!
As a postscript, when we were getting rid of a large shrub under the front window, we found a large wooden plaque, with Corner House written on it. Obviously, someone who lived in the house before us had very little imagination!

winifred01 Sat 31-Aug-19 20:10:25

Don't call it Rose Cottage- that was the name we nurses used at our hospital for the mortuary;

Phoebes Sat 31-Aug-19 20:05:02

I remember a modern bungalow near us when I lived at home which was called: “Tether’s End” I thought it was a great name!

Ooeyisit Sat 31-Aug-19 19:50:48

Why don’t you just confuse people and call it Awafraeital

GrammaH Sat 31-Aug-19 19:16:32

We live on a farm with a very complicated old English name which apparently means Cottage in the water meadows. It's very difficult to spell & for readers to pronounce &, much as I love it, I often wish we lived at Manor Farm, Top Farm or anything simple!!

NonnaJazz Sat 31-Aug-19 17:38:23

We recently moved to Devon. There was no name for our house so we decided on Quince Cottage since there is a large Quince bush near the entrance to the drive.

Artdecogran Sat 31-Aug-19 16:57:07

LadyGracie perhaps Tina was the wife and she was very alluring !

Elijah Sat 31-Aug-19 16:16:41

Rainbow's End - cos it's my pot of gold!

Luvinthis Sat 31-Aug-19 16:13:40

An old hippie living in our town bought an old chapel-like building, painted it white with a rainbow mural and called it Sweet F Hall. As the kids grew up they used to insist on walking past whenever they could hoping to see 'the Pirate'.

FarawayGran Sat 31-Aug-19 15:50:39

I live in a bungalow called 'The Bungalow'
How boring is that! A friend suggested that I call it 'The Cottage'
We have dozens of sparrows nesting in a hedge so I am thinking of calling it 'Sparrow Cottage or Lodge'
We have been here for 40 years, and I have been pondering the name change ever since we moved in. Our Postie might think we have moved....

Hetty58 Sat 31-Aug-19 15:42:54

There's a pretty bungalow nearby called 'Paradise'.

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 15:33:43

LadyGracie perhaps it was named after the place?
Cortina is an attractive place, we had a holiday there years ago.

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 15:32:09

A croft is a small low building with a stone enclosure for the animals.