Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's warm and welcoming kitchen for the sharing of...

(1001 Posts)
soop Fri 30-Aug-19 14:03:34

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and
Jolly good company...

Welcome...

brew cupcake wine flowers smile (hugs) a plenty

annodomini Sun 15-Sep-19 11:03:12

Lovely news for your extended family, kitty. I have 9 great nieces and nephews. The last two were added in July - twins, boy and girl - by C-section, each weighing 6lbs 6oz! I met them when I was last in Scotland and get frequent photographs of them, making amazing progress, very sociable and 'chatty'! I need to visit Scotland and see them plus two other 'greats' in Glasgow and three in Edinburgh.
Sorry folks, no photos allowed.
It's a miserable kind of day, as ann says. We Scots would call it 'dreich'. Just the day for settling down with a good book. However, the forecast looks quite hopeful. Maybe that 'Indian summer' is on the cards and it will be good weather for bulb planting and garden planning.
Izabella, thanks for the 'cloud of blackbirds' information. They are not attracted to my yellow berried rowan, until all else fails and they run out of red berried, usually not until Christmas.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:25:28

Congratulations Great Aunt Kitty ??

annsixty Sun 15-Sep-19 11:46:08

My pyracanthas are just turning and provide berries for many months.
They are usually only wispy stalks by late winter.My S wants to prune them but I resist everytime. The only one I prune myself is growing up the brick column by the front door.
It has the letter box at the side so I keep that trimmed or it would have the postman’s eye out.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Sep-19 12:37:42

I have been in the “dreaded Aisle of wonder” in a certain supermarket, my AC think that I have lost my “marbles” I like it!!!!

soop Sun 15-Sep-19 12:59:34

Izabella I wish to echo Ann's comment. You are an inspiration to us lot.

dragonfly Snap! I am feeling totally "bushed" today. Everything seems to take an inordinate toll on my energy levels. Let's chill together. smile

kitty lovely, happy news. Welcome to the world, Darcy. sunshine

N&G Wot! Wrong day! No cake! That's a buggeration too far.

Carilillion Surely there must be appropriate pain relief for your husband. We are not living in the Middle Ages. shock

soop Sun 15-Sep-19 13:03:58

GranyGravy I want one! Perfect! grin

I am about to put the finishing touches to the pretty Wilma portrait. What must I not do? Correct! I must not "muddy the colours".

Back a little later.

cornergran Sun 15-Sep-19 13:54:29

Congratulations to great aunt kitty and the whole family.

Reading about Darcy’s arrival made me think, Mr C and I don’t have nieces or nephews and so there won’t be any ‘greats’ either. Not something that troubles me but a reminder we’re a small tribe.

I’m another doing very little today, still a bit sore and generally weary. I know your advice is sound charley and do lie down when it’s lower back and leg pain. I’d aggravated my neck and upper spine, when that happens it does seem to help to raise my legs, no idea why. No logic to it. Probably because I think it does! As the latest physio said ‘sometimes people’s bodies are just odd’. Suspect he was trying not to be too rude about mine. grin.

So, anyone who needs a quiet day there’s certainly no harm in it, just be as you are

Good to hear from you all TOYA and be good, particularly those needing to rest,

Panache Sun 15-Sep-19 14:33:33

What a glorious weekend of weather and so appreciated at this time of year especially.
After lunch we have taken a short leisurely stroll around the gardens,but my dear one is now resting as any activity soon saps his meagre strength.
But always good to have some fresh air.

With so many of the residents now on their own afternoons and evenings can be lonely.
We are aiming to make new contacts each day and the chap whom we “befriended” today, not only opened up telling us about how sad and lonely life is since his wife passed away only at Christmas,but on leaving thanked us for givin g him some time and listening to his tale of woe.
Having been previously very involved in Cancer care,I am beginning to think we have been guided to this very spot..... and have a job of work to do.

Sorry hearing you remain in pain Lins1066 and I sincerely hope this enforced rest does the business.Certainly not fair when you have but started back on your outdoor adventures!
Whilst hearing your sad story Carillion regarding your man I sincerely hope he too finds that pain relief he obviously needs desperately.

So pleased that all went well for you Maw,I knew very well if anyone could stand tall and carry off such a holiday you were that person,though I also believe that the company whom you find yourself with also can make........or break......such a holiday.I have experienced this for myself.Hope it sets the pattern for even more adventures, but not before dear Hattie has plenty of warm loving hugs!

An update on our house sale for those whom have kindly shown interest.
Only last week our estate remarked the prospective purchasers were being a little “edgy”because
the garden was not now up to its usual pristine standard.......what could be expected with the owner in such a state and us having already vacated the place?
However dear friends whom we asked to recommend the best trusty gardening team decided to do the work themselves,hiring in hedge trimmers and a special lawn mower, not having our own any longer.
Yesterday we visited ourselves and what am amazing job of work has been done in 2 whole days,the entire roadside paddock hedge alongside the front,together with garden hedge have been trimmed beautifully,whilst actually trimming the paddock took several takes to get it all back to the level we had kept it,then all the front gardens and terrace with its mass of miniature trees and shrubs has been nicely trimmed,indeed the place is back to its former self............and yes, the deal continues with our buyers almost ready and waiting for the contracts.It truly looks as though it is actually happening!We shall believe it when it actually happens!!

Sending loving blessings to you all,and a special note to our Galen.......please do not fear driving a mobility scooter because of the tale I related,believe me that is one story only,think of the many whom are as "happy as larry" because they have found a new life.... with the aid of such a scooter.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon dear friends.

grannyqueenie Sun 15-Sep-19 14:41:31

Hello kitchen friends!
corner I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one with and “odd body”, mine doesn’t seem to behave as you’d expect i.e. a hip that badly needed replacing but with no pain to speak of, knees that according to X ray are no worse but are slowing me down no end! Hope your current pain eases off with the tlc you’re applying.

Congrats kitty on a new wee baby in the family, was going to say tiny but maybe not. given her hearty weight! I’ve no siblings so no “real” great nieces or nephews for me but a a raft of them from the old boys side of the family. Izabella you’re an inspiration, I always enjoy reading your posts. That particular supermarket is full of temptation, grannyG, I’d have bought one if I’d seen it! I just caught the tale end of Last at the Proms and loved seeing/hearing the American lass whose name escapes me. She was a real breath of fresh air! I almost missed it because we went to see the Downton Abbey film and thoroughly enjoyed it too. Seems the rest of the audience did too as there was a burst of spontaneous applause as the credits came up on the screen! We came out of the cinema to an amazing sunset sky which we followed all the way home, or did it follow us? Either way I got a few photos on my phone which I’ll leave for you to enjoy.

Must away as we’re due to be at dd4 soon. Our newish next door neighbours have just had a flood in their newly renovated house, the old boy has gone to advise now that’s a worry I need to retrieve him so we can leave. Apologies to those I’ve missed especially all with aches in body or heart. x

Greyduster Sun 15-Sep-19 15:59:13

Hello the galloping kitchen! I have been trying to catch up with all the comings and going’s but will probably fall at the first fence. It was Himself’s birthday yesterday but I didn’t see an awful lot of him, as he and myself were off to the football immediately after consuming his favourite lunch of Roquefort stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in Parma ham, with a cream sauce. No time for pudding, conversation, any of that! Just shovel it down, jump in the car and disappear off down the road. One of these days I will actually get to talk to my son when he comes down. Who would be a football widow?
Today should be marginally more civilised and laid back, with DD and her menfolk coming to eat with us. Roast pork, pineapple upside down cake, salmon en croute for the pescatarian. Just got to get the timings right or it will all go down the tubes! Probably will anyway!

Soop in answer to your question upthread, my favourite malt by a country mile is Oban. When I pluck up the courage to rob a bank, I will buy myself a bottle! Failing that, it is Highland Park Viking Honour. What about MacS?

Galen I hope you will pluck up the courage to take to the road on your scooter. Do not be driving phobic like me, please! I’m getting worse as I get older. I am currently writing my “Hundred and One Excuses Not to Drive”. You can do this!

Izabella I had forgotten all about those illuminations - years since we went to see them! Always very crowded. Please can you send some of your blackbirds here? Ours seem to have deserted us!

Corner I am all for your philosophy that there is no harm in having a quiet day - I’m just lying in wait for one to come along! Take it easy!

Maw glad to hear your holiday was a success. We had forays into Germany while we were serving in both Holland and Belgium. We had friends living in Heidelberg who we visited often, did some fairly hair raising walking in the Hartz mountains once, and DH was always off down to the Black Forest for some little bit of military business or other. As you say, it is a lovely country. Will you go again, do you think?

Well, I see from the app on my phone that the barbarians are almost at the door! Isn’t technology wonderful! I must away and stick forks in things. I will try and look in later. Apologies to all I have missed. Fabulous sunsets, GQ!

TOYA

Greyduster Sun 15-Sep-19 16:00:24

That’s should be “he and my son!!” Bloomin’ iPad!

Susan56 Sun 15-Sep-19 16:54:27

Panache I am so pleased the house sale is progressing??for a speedy exchange of contracts.
Congratulations kitty on the new baby in the family.
Carillon,I really hope that your husbands pain levels can be managed.Our local hospital has a pain management programme which seems very successful,maybe there is something similar locally to you.
The kitchen is so busy,I am trying to keep up but failing miserably after a hectic couple of days.Our daughter has spent today in hospital while drs decided whether to induce the baby or not,eventually decided not,she is to go back tomorrow?baby isn’t due for two weeks.We looked after Matilda while they were at the hospital,this involved attending a 4 year olds birthday party,great fun and we were made very welcome but grandpa is now asleep on the settee and grandma is fighting hard to stay awake!
I will catch up on kitchen news tomorrow after a good nights sleep.In the meantime,thinking of you all??

soop Sun 15-Sep-19 17:44:14

Panache Ever closer to a deal. I'm delighted for you.

Greyduster Yes to Oban. MacSporran's number one favourite is Laphroaig, which I find not at all to my liking. Second favourite is Old Pulteney which we both thoroughly enjoy.

I have not been in our kitchen too much throughout today. Apologies! The painting has kept me well out of mischief. When it has been delivered, I shall share a photo with you.

granniequeenie Your sunset photograph is beautiful. Our best Kintyre sunsets are waning and moving on. Just as soon as they return...snap...I shall be boring you lot with far too many images.

Log off time. My best wishes to one and all for a peaceful and pleasant evening. TOYA smile moon

annodomini Sun 15-Sep-19 18:42:20

Panache, you are fast finding your niche in your new home. How relieved that poor man would have been to find a listening ear. So important to be a good listener. I was most impressed by your description of your (almost) former garden. 'Miniature trees and shrubs' sound quite intriguing as so many of mine have grown far bigger than I would have thought possible - or appropriate.
Granny q, I think I have your knees. X-rays show that they are nowhere near needing to be replaced, but they continue to swell and ache. I don't really want any more replacements, but would like an explanation and a remedy.
The oven is bleeping - I must rescue my potato!

Charleygirl5 Sun 15-Sep-19 18:49:43

Such a pity I change my bedding weekly and not six monthly- that would be more convenient!

Filling in a blue badge application form is not for the faint hearted.

I will have another go tomorrow while I am waiting for the stairlift fitter.

The weather has been glorious here- I must water my hanging baskets, especially as the builder is returning on Tuesday- I would hate to see them dead due to neglect.
That is fine corner sitting with legs elevated if the pain is much higher up your spine. It sounds as though you are at least having one day of rest and your family are feeding and entertaining themselves.

TOYA

Charleygirl5 Sun 15-Sep-19 21:47:23

Aparently tomorrow is going to be another fine, sunny day. I hope the rain only falls between the hours of midnight and 6 am for those who have rain forecast.

I need an early night so a quick shower and then I will read my book.
TOYA

Feelingmyage55 Sun 15-Sep-19 22:15:47

I was woken at midnight last night by fireworks so obviously got up and watched them, then could not get back to sleep. That is my excuse for having a very lazy day. izabella I do so enjoy your posts. A trip to NZ sounds exciting. To everyone else tonight TOYA and I hope you all have a good night’s sleep.

harrigran Sun 15-Sep-19 22:16:58

Lovely to hear you are a great aunt again kitty. I have no nieces and nephews as neither of my sisters had children, luckily GC have cousins from their mother's side.

soop Mon 16-Sep-19 13:07:26

I feel duty bound to share something with you that has tickled me pink. Whatever that means.
As we drove towards the barn in which we leave the feral feline family food, a farmer was preparing to shear his sheep. His collie dog followed us into the barn and I'm wondering has it since eaten the cat food.
As we left and walked towards our parked car, the dog joined MacSporran. MacS said..."come by" to the dog and I almost collapsed with laughter. I could visualise the dog getting on to the back seat of the car and going home with us. grin

Izabella Mon 16-Sep-19 14:03:40

soop!! Thank you for the smile.

A beautiful warm and sunny morning in the shire with so much birdsong to gladden the heart I sat on a garden bench to fully appreciate it. I was rewarded by a rare sighing of a Jay which we do not often see. A pair of buzzards high overhead added their eerie calls to a marvellous unscripted aerial orchestra . Magical - and made the boring task of pegging out washing more than bearable.

Greenyqueenie a beauticul sky. For that and my bird experience I have a poem threading through my thoughts -
A poor life this, if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare (with thanks to google for the right words )

I have set myself what seems to be a nigh impossible task. A previously accomplished musician, I have 'lost' my ability to understand scores and even the keyboard. However in my usual way of not wanting to admit defeat just yet I have embarked on a piece by Bach I used to play years ago. We shall see. Hours of practice, but good for my brain. Pleasee think of CH as he listens to my discordant attempts!!

Whilst not wishing to advertise, I recently sent a garment back to Rohan due to a faulty zip. This morning I had a wonderful email from them offering a replacement. Made my day

Well time to eat, but cannot go without saying R.I.P. Ric Ocasek.

For everyone else TOYA, enjoy the sunshine and I hope those of you in pain and discomfort have an easier day. Perhaps we need to have a recuperation wing in the kitchen?

Charleygirl5 Mon 16-Sep-19 15:52:02

Panache how kind of your friends to tidy the garden so that the would-be purchasers are happy. I do hope they did not travel too far because gardening is heavy work with the added strain of a car journey. With luck soon it will not be your problem.

I now have a working stairlift but it still is not right, the chair needs to be longer. At least with the non slip mat I do not slither on to the floor. Tara will be pleased that dirty washing is no longer thrown downstairs. Customer Care will get in touch and we will start again. I have no intention of paying the full amount.

TOYA

soop Mon 16-Sep-19 16:02:14

Chaleyg Stick to your guns! The stairlift needs to be right, if not, Customer Care owe it to you to sort matters out without further delay.

soop Mon 16-Sep-19 16:06:29

Izabella My respect and admiration for you knows no bounds. Bach must be a huge challenge. Keep practising.
Rohan deserve a mention. A well known brand with a good reputation.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 16-Sep-19 16:28:35

charleygirl Do you have a safety belt on your chairlift? Hope the problem is resolved soonest.
izabella I have a chair beside my washing line so that I can “sit and stare” - and listen - to the birds, trees and wind.
soop I do hope that the resumption of painting is a sign of you feeling better? Or is it a way of coping? I am always looking for new ideas to deal with my health issues without upping medication. Music, books, friend and nature all help. I would love to be able to paint and admire your talent. Is it a lifelong skill? Sorry for all the questions.
Well today got off to a good start then I just slumped. Looking forward to forecast sun at the end of the week.
I am following the new BBC series ‘Capture” and am gripped. The best programme on tv for some time.
I have left scones of various types along with fruit loaf. Enjoy.

annsixty Mon 16-Sep-19 16:59:41

I am rather late in the day to be offering home made celery soup but I shall pop it in before lunch tomorrow along with crusty bread, that won't be home made, it will be the part baked rolls available from every supermarket.
There will be optional crumbled stilton to put on top.
Have a pleasant evening everyone, the week ahead looks very good weatherwise.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion