Gransnet forums

Chat

ANY YANKS OR KIWI'S ON BOARD?

(42 Posts)
lonjay Fri 30-Aug-19 21:48:13

I just joined today and am a Yank living in Fresno, California.
I spent 26 of my retirement years living between NZ & the U.S.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 31-Aug-19 19:04:02

Its bl..dy well done it again, the word is Poms, yes its got it.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 19:04:34

barmyoldbat you ve done it again ??
Reread your last post ?

rosecarmel Sat 31-Aug-19 19:04:45

If it were derogatory, I'm not so sure Americans have caught on to that fact? Many businesses here use the name Yankee-

Yankee Candle, Droll Yankee, NY Yankees ..

Callistemon Sat 31-Aug-19 19:05:15

grin

Greenfinch Sat 31-Aug-19 19:12:42

My early years were spent in Australia ( family emigrated on £10 scheme) and in my experience POMS was definitely not a term of endearment especially when used by my Australian uncle.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 19:14:51

I think Yankee is different to yank or yanks rosecarmel well that’s what I was told by an American

janeainsworth Sat 31-Aug-19 19:16:44

Rosecarmel Perhaps the Brits who think it’s a derogatory term are harking back to the days of WW2 when GIs stationed in Britain were sometimes described as ‘overpaid, oversexed and over here’grin
Of course many British women rather liked that and married them.

People have long memories. When I was in Baltimore a few years ago, it was obvious that people had not forgotten the British Navy’s failure to conquer the American forces in 1812.
I even saw a poster advertising a protest against some road traffic scheme. It went something like, ‘The British Navy couldn’t defeat us in 1812 and we’re not going to be defeated now!’ grin

sukie Sat 31-Aug-19 19:28:25

janeainsworth we live in Northwest Florida, near Destin. You'd have cruised right by us! Your trip sounds wonderful, did you travel via the inter coastal waterway out of Mobile? It is a lovely area for sailing, which is what brought us here over 30 years ago. We still get out on occasion but we are fair weather sailors now days. Thank you for your thoughts regarding the hurricane. Latest tracking indicates it will go more easterly but we keep our guard up, especially this time of year.

rosecarmel Sat 31-Aug-19 19:29:02

A whole lot goes over my head when people talk, specially jokes- I'm often the last in the group to catch on, if I ever get it all smile So it wouldn't surprise me that some people find being called yank an insult- But its what they called me when in Mississippi and it didn't phase me in the least!

rosecarmel Sat 31-Aug-19 19:30:53

I love the gulf coast ..

janeainsworth Sat 31-Aug-19 22:31:50

Sukie Yes, we did the Intra-coastal Waterway. We had to sit out a storm in the harbor at Destin!
Here's a link to a blog post I wrote, Destin features at the end of it.smile
talesfromtheamericanwaterways.com/2019/04/20/ingram-bayou-to-pensacola-and-destin/

gmarie Sat 31-Aug-19 23:38:15

Hi lonjay. Sacramento, CA here! I joined one evening in June after Googling "what to do when you feel alone late at night". I was hoping to connect with a few people since all I could hear was crickets here at home. There was a time, not so long ago, when my sons stayed up into the wee hours of the morning and we'd often text or chat. Now they have significant others and jobs in the morning and I'm retired and up until 2 a.m. grin

gmarie Sat 31-Aug-19 23:47:43

Hmm, never thought of the term "Yank" as an insult. That may be because I can be a bit oblivious.

sukie Mon 02-Sep-19 02:22:57

janeainsworth thank you for sharing the link to your blog post. We've so enjoyed reading about your trip and viewing the lovely photos of this area. What a fascinating experience!

BradfordLass72 Mon 02-Sep-19 02:34:02

Like so many other posters, I was always told 'Yank' was derogatory and after the war, that is certainly how it was used.

I don't like is so forgive me if I don't use it.

janeainsworth Mon 02-Sep-19 13:30:48

sukie glad you enjoyed it!
I hope we’ll go back to the Gulf Coast one day. sunshine