Gransnet forums

Chat

A great antidote to politics?

(71 Posts)
lemongrove Tue 03-Sep-19 17:06:02

Today we went out to a wonderful pottery, where there are equally wonderful flower gardens and cafe, plus lovely gifts.
We had a light lunch there, a long browse in the shop resulting in the purchase of a pretty scarf ( for moi) and a bar of the most gorgeously scented soap.Also, three plants.
Shysal knows the place I speak of ....Aston Pottery in Oxfordshire.It’s simply the best antidote to all the Brexit in out shake it all about politics going on at the moment.
Where do you all go to chill out?

Gonegirl Sun 08-Sep-19 10:20:51

I have ordered that Willy Nelson CD. (Yes, I know I am old fashioned. Haven't a clue about streaming)

Gonegirl Sun 08-Sep-19 10:12:55

That is a lovely song and video (Willy Nelson). Thanks for putting that up gillybob. Been reading a book about WW1. I didn't know about the horses.

lemongrove Sun 08-Sep-19 09:49:23

After a week of gadding about, it’s time for a gardening day today, and what a wonderful day it is, clear blue skies sunny and crisp.Just been watching some hedge sparrows tearing into a fallen apple, I could watch them all day.?

annep1 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:03:14

sttill still

annep1 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:02:32

I was so happy to read your second post Bradfordlass. Thank you.
Goodness you have had such a full life indeed and achieved so much!
I'm glad to hear you're sttill enjoying it. You sound very happy and content.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 21:31:19

Ukulele groups are really popular now, so are steel bands surprisingly ( for our age group.)
Have never been to Dunwich but it reminds me of the M R James story ‘The Dunwich Horror’ ??

I think I should stay at home on Friday and do some cleaning,
Which if done properly can be relaxing.I shall start with the
Shower room and end with some polishing.Always leave the best until last.wink

seacliff Thu 05-Sep-19 12:10:44

I liked Sanditon, a bit of frivolous nonsense and some lovely scenery, not forgetting the skinny dipping by several young men.

I read, and I love a walk along the beach in all weathers (about 15 minutes drive for me). I must get to Dunwich cliffs for a stroll this week as the heather is out, and it's stunning.

The other thing I enjoy - my ukulele group. We all sing and play, not very well. But it's so uplifting, we have fun and forget everything else for a couple of hours.

Kim19 Thu 05-Sep-19 12:01:00

BL72, you are a joy and a revelation. Thank you.

My escapes are a lovely riverside walk, which I'm fortunate to have on my doorstep, a trip to Botanic gardens which refreshes my soul and just pottering in my own garden is an antidote to angst. Greatest of all is time spent with GC. Not necessarily peaceful but distracting and wonderful. Love it.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 08:51:25

That’s a lovely walk Shysal .....I enjoy browsing more than actual shopping, but enjoy sitting somewhere with a view and people watching.
Called in at Hotter ( very few nice Autumn shoes as yet) then on to Clarks, found four pairs I liked with a small heel.
Tried all sorts of sizes and half sizes.....nothing fitted.
Asked for my feet to be measured. My left foot is size 5 and standard verging on narrow, my right foot is 5 and a half and verging on wide fitting.confused
I shall have to live in Skechers/ boots/ sandals then!

Anniebach Thu 05-Sep-19 08:46:41

If it was possible I know I would be walking The Beacons ?

shysal Thu 05-Sep-19 08:42:36

I agree with lemongrove that Aston Pottery is lovely, well worth a visit, but although I live only a few miles outside Oxford City centre I hate going there. I have only been once since the new Westgate opened, bought some invisible socks from Primark on recommendation and went straight home. Shopping is no pleasure for me, although I don't mind buying food! cupcake
I am at my happiest walking in the countryside, going through Happy Valley and Boars Hill area today, starting at Hinksey Heights golf club.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 08:09:15

I agree with you notentirely I think it’s easy to get too ‘suckered in’ to rolling news and politics, which, coupled with the fact that we can do nothing at all about it, has to be bad for people.

I would like to be able to swim well BradfordL it’s good excercise and yet relaxing too.I can swim...but that’s it.

Being able to play the piano sounds wonderful too.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 08:03:19

Off to an antiques and collectables place today, another of my ‘hobbies’ as I generally find something I want.☺️

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 07:59:38

We try to go out as much as possible ( while we can ) and enjoy pottering around both old places we like and discovering new places.
We also try to make the most of the lovely weather while it’s here.
Meeting friends is always enjoyable, yes, we love the family,
But the best times are with friends.
If we stay around the house then the garden is a place to chill out, either with a book or actual gardening.

notentirelyallhere Thu 05-Sep-19 07:57:48

I know Aston Pottery well too, I lived in Oxford for 35 years. Now I live in a very beautiful part of the country not far from Cheltenham and have access to wonderful countryside. So a walk or cycle ride does it for me or getting out my pencils or paints. I spend a day at an animal rescue centre too where I find the company of the animals blissful.

I think our media do a lot of harm and upset people needlessly when really few know the whole story and most of us are actually helpless. I've been somewhat dragged in to the current situation but mostly newspaper headlines make me roll my eyes and wish to live somewhere far away from it all!

maddyone Thu 05-Sep-19 07:55:44

The news at the moment is totally depressing. I’m pretty fed up of it all.

My favourite things to do, that help me get away from it are meeting up with friends, seeing my grandchildren ( we’ve done a lot of childcare through the school holidays so that has helped distract me) and whenever possible going on holiday. I also read and listen to lovely music. Walking is another distraction, especially by the sea, but through the school holidays I’ve not had much time for that.

LullyDully Thu 05-Sep-19 07:48:42

My friend and I go to The Lavender Farm outside Salisbury. Great food, beautiful gardens , fields of lavender and some unusual plants for sale. We go for lunch and a chat. Amazing that after 55 years we can still talk for several hours over lunch then tea and cake.

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Sep-19 05:27:29

Oh dear annep1 I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone, it's just that the question, "Where do you all go to chill out?" was quite specific and made me think of all the places I used to go and things I used to do.

I'll redress the balance. smile

I genuinely do have a very happy life, a wonderful family and some very good friends.
Just today, for instance, after 2 weeks away from my elders' group through lack of transport, I went back and everyone said how much they'd missed me and welcome back and had I been sick? It was all genuine, no one needs to say more than 'Hello' but they did. So that was gratifying.

I'm a life-long swimmer and always have an all-season multi-pass to the pool.
It's not just the swimming I love but everything about being in the water: the sound of it, how it sparkles in the sun - it's a real treat. However, although 68 F sounds warm, I still emerge like a shivering Venus during winter.

It's true I can't go out unless I have someone with me but I'm happy with my own company and during the rainy season (now) am content enough to even be a bit reclusive.
I have my audio books, knitting and my computer which is an absolute godsend.

And I have 2 lovely homecare ladies who are more like friends. They come in and hug me and we have quite a bit of fun talking over what we've been doing and the antics of their families. They take me to do the marketing and so on - and sometimes we 'cheat' and just go for coffee. smile

And before my eyes got wonky, I made some very beautiful things, such as this carving and I've painted many portraits and had exhibitions and books published and was able to travel all round NZ - and much, much more.

I've had a very full life so far and though I'm no expert at any of those things, I've enjoyed it all.

So I have no reason to moan and there's no reason for you to be sad for me, bless your heart.

- I had 63 years of treasures and privilege and look back on it all, and my present life with a great deal of optimism and gratitude.
grin

callgirl1 Wed 04-Sep-19 21:01:40

Bury myself in a good book.

4allweknow Wed 04-Sep-19 19:01:52

Knit and natter group and community choir. Great chat in one, relaxing and fun with the music in the choir. As for the news have been thinking about the tv serial Brexit will be made into if it is ever resolved.

Nortsat46 Wed 04-Sep-19 18:49:01

Having had a morning of difficult meetings and the afternoon off work, my partner took me to the pub for lunch.

A sandwich and a spritzer later, we were both feeing more chilled out ...

It's not my everyday solution but on occasion it's a good option.

Grandmama Wed 04-Sep-19 18:40:31

I go to my garden. Or if it's raining, play the piano.

GabriellaG54 Wed 04-Sep-19 18:30:24

I'm another big fan of Willie Nelson.
Superb.

Anniebach Wed 04-Sep-19 17:20:28

Thank you gilly x it’s on his new Album. Last year he released a tribute to Sinatra , brilliant, Sinatra said Willie was his favourite singer. Two legends ?

lemon thank you , I will get that audio book

gillybob Wed 04-Sep-19 16:50:23

youtu.be/lPYonm2NMZw

You would have to be a hard hearted person not to be moved by this beautiful song.

“Ride me back home” by Willie Nelson. For you Annie with love and flowers