Gransnet forums

Chat

Gin

(56 Posts)
annsixty Wed 04-Sep-19 23:00:27

Please forgive me for being totally flippant and trivial but today a crash involving 2 lorries on the M60 resulted in the loss of 32,000 litres of gin.
Those of us who love our G&T must feel the loss.
Yes Brexit is looming, hurricanes are happening, I do realise how pathetic I am but just allow me a little tear.
I will accept all negative posts, I have become immune to them.

BradfordLass72 Fri 06-Sep-19 00:20:19

Dolcelatte grin grin grin grin

annsixty Thu 05-Sep-19 18:48:26

Thankyou all for joining in my frivolous thread.
Your replies have been so funny.

glammagran Thu 05-Sep-19 18:22:15

First post only just appeared after I posted the 2nd.?‍♀️

glammagran Thu 05-Sep-19 18:21:14

Great post Dolcelette ?

glammagran Thu 05-Sep-19 17:28:04

Love your post Dolcelatte ?

callgirl1 Thu 05-Sep-19 17:24:43

I hate gin, won`t start worrying unless port goes into short supply.

Aepgirl Thu 05-Sep-19 16:59:34

A crying shame.

dustyangel Thu 05-Sep-19 16:51:34

Grammaretto after I had food poisoning once, a doctor told me that that we would all be less likely to get (the milder) gut infections if we had alcohol with every meal, even breakfast grin

humptydumpty Thu 05-Sep-19 16:28:33

This has all just reminded me that I had a wnerful G&T on holiday: Roku gin with rhubarb and ginger cordial, yummy!!

obag Thu 05-Sep-19 16:18:57

My Daughter drove past the crash on her way home, she joked that she felt like weeping; what a waste of gin!

Grammaretto Thu 05-Sep-19 15:18:24

The tonic prevents night cramps. Not sure what the gin prevents..........
It's purely medicinal.

PamelaJ1 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:15:18

I’m not worried, got a bottle of Plymouth and one of Tanquery Sevilla, so we are fine. We seem to have a gin distillery round every corner here. One even claims to have holy water in it!
Shouldn’t think that would ever run out ??!

4allweknow Thu 05-Sep-19 15:05:05

Fortunately the UK produces an awful lot of gin. Berries are in season so the roadspill should be replaced quickly, I hope.

mrshat Thu 05-Sep-19 14:13:11

You’re very welcome to my share anne. I can’t stomach the stuff! My family think me very strange! confused

Tweedle24 Thu 05-Sep-19 13:13:46

I was told in a local restaurant not to worry about gin shortages after Brexit. A good deal of it is made in this country and distilleries have increased production to cope, hoping to benefit from a shortage of spirits usually imported from Europe

BonnieBlooming Thu 05-Sep-19 13:00:53

All round to mine ladies, I have loads! Plain, summer fruit, blood orange, grapefruit, elderflower, blackberry (homemade by a friend) rhubarb and ginger and my new one - passionfruit and coconut. As I only generally have a gin a d tonic on a Sunday I can afford to share!

sue01 Thu 05-Sep-19 12:51:39

I'm not a million miles away from the crash site... and several "friends" have suggested I nip up there with buckets !

I've been stockpiling gin since 1968 !!

EllanVannin Thu 05-Sep-19 12:49:00

Did you see the joke about it ? Someone had asked if the truck had been in the Sloe lane-----bum bum.

Funnygran Thu 05-Sep-19 12:44:48

Just off to Tesco if Gordons is on offer! Have a dear friend who likes a g&t and knows I do so makes me one if I call in the evening. Warm flat tonic, no ice, no lemon. I drink it and then have a decent one when I get home ?

HootyMcOwlface Thu 05-Sep-19 12:33:01

Gin? meh! Now if it were a lorry load of chocolate - well that would be a complete catastrophe!

Nanny41 Thu 05-Sep-19 12:21:12

Just checked my cupboard, there is a liter bottle unopened, saved the day.

Luckylegs Thu 05-Sep-19 12:20:23

Me too petra. I didn’t know what to drink until I was 40 when I discovered gin and olives at the same time. Hurray! I love it now. We’ve just driven up from Portugal through Spain and France. I always assumed g & t was universal but no, apparently it’s unknown in France! We went out for a meal, asked for my usual, this horrible WARM drink arrived, took one sip and it was peach gin or something, vile! So I asked again for an ordinary gin and tonic, same again but with some ice. Then I asked again and specified no peach. A much smaller glass arrived which tasted like Martini! It was highly perfumed but not in a gin way. I simply couldn’t stomach it. I went to the bar and asked what gin they had. It was something called Gibson’s! I told them it tasted like Martini, much shaking of heads. In the end, I got a rush of blood, banged the glass down and said, it’s vile, I’m not drinking it and I’m not paying for it! The bill duly arrived sans gin and I just drank warmish water.

The next night, a different part of France, I just had a coke but looked at the bar and they had Gibson’s gin as well, nothing else. We went back to our hotel thinking at least we could get a drink now. The lady looked through all the dusty bottles on a high shelf, muttering gin, gin, gin. No luck, no gin at all! The salesperson for Gibsons must have had a ball but can you believe there isn’t a gin culture there at all?

We arrived home Tuesday night and 24 hours later, all this gin on the M6 we’d driven up. Do you think I’m being given a message?

annsixty Thu 05-Sep-19 12:07:13

We always say " it is somewhere in the world".

Liaise Thu 05-Sep-19 12:03:40

After reading these posts I feel very thirsty. Is the sun over the yard arm yet?

petra Thu 05-Sep-19 11:59:50

Fizzers
I've been 'poorly' many times, but it doesn't stop me.?

Theoddbird
I was the same as you until I hit my 40s and then I got it. I'm so pleased I persisted ?
Strangly enough, I 'got' olives at the same time.