Gransnet forums

Chat

Do any of these apply to you?

(71 Posts)
Anja Fri 06-Sep-19 12:58:49

Undeniable Adult Truths
1. Part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.
2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
3. I take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.
4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.
5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?
6. Was learning joined up writing really necessary?
7. Google maps really needs to start their directions on number 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my street.
8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.
9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.
10. Bad decisions make good stories.
11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blu-Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection, again.
13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.
14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.
15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well..
16. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.
17. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.
18. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?
19. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent an idiot from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!
20. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is...

or can you add more of your own? ?

dragonfly46 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:58:26

I am amazed that there are people who none of the above apply to. They all apply to me and I could add many more.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Sep-19 11:26:10

2 and 5

SalsaQueen Sat 07-Sep-19 11:40:37

5, 17 and 18. Fitted sheets are a nightmare to fold

quizqueen Sat 07-Sep-19 11:43:33

6. Cursive writing shows maturity, both in style and in knowing what it's called.
10. Bad decisions just produce bad results.
13. Copy and past into a new document before any changes, you can't remember making, are saved in the old one!
15. Every shelf in the freezer would need its own light.
18.Saying, 'What?', is ignorant. The correct word to use is pardon.
19. Yes, it is annoying when drivers try to cut in but one day that 'camaraderie' line of traffic could cause a head on crash to an innocent driver approaching from the opposite direction, then maybe you will not all be so smug together!
21. Always tell the truth, whether online or in real life, even in the face of gransnet 'Remainers'.

Aepgirl Sat 07-Sep-19 12:09:08

This made me chuckle. Thank you.

Legs55 Sat 07-Sep-19 12:16:45

quizqueen

15. not if it's a chest freezer!
18. if it's a foreign voice that I cannot understand on the phone I say so & replace receiver, if face to face my usual response is "I'm sorry I didn't catch that".

Anja

7. Satnav as well, irritates me but I have to set it before I leave, gives me 4 sets of instructions before I reach the main roadconfused.

Superb list, made me laugh, especially No.8. Sure if I think long enough I can add a few moresmile

notanan2 Sat 07-Sep-19 12:18:09

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

There is one thing that sucks more:
When you think of the perfect retort that would have proved you right... after the event!

Magsymoo Sat 07-Sep-19 12:19:28

No. 16? Avoid ghetto? I wasn't aware that we have ghettos in this country.

notanan2 Sat 07-Sep-19 12:23:56

6. Was learning joined up writing really necessary?

Most primaries dont teach print writing at all now, its cursive from reception. Apparently it improves blending/reading/spelling as the brain sees the relationship between the letters rather than the letters in isolation, and compliments phonics.

notanan2 Sat 07-Sep-19 12:24:53

Primary teachers are now told to use a cursive print font when typing things for the children

Nanaval4G Sat 07-Sep-19 13:17:40

Anja all of them except No.5, I have finally mastered the art of folding a fitted sheet, and when you do you think it is obvious, why didn't you know this.

nipsmum Sat 07-Sep-19 13:23:18

when you shout for the dog and call your 3 grandchildren before you get the dogs name right.

melp1 Sat 07-Sep-19 13:31:26

Most of them
I would add Why does my husband wait to he's in another room or half way up stairs before asking me a question and then loose he's temper when I don't respond.

Rufus2 Sat 07-Sep-19 13:50:46

6. Cursive writing shows maturity, both in style and in knowing what it's called.
Quizqueen; Hear, hear! I am constantly bewildered at the proliferation of "block" writing emanating from so-called educated professionals; my first reaction is to describe it as semi-literate even though the author is often a qualified "expert" in something or other such as "mickey mouse" degrees. grin
I believe "cursive" was banned some time ago, probably to help"block" fit in with current methods of communication with the outside world which are seemingly carried out via keyboards. I blame the "educationalists"! grin
Btw; Re; No 18 On a rather less erudite note I usually associate "Pardon" with a "me"suffix! "Excuse me" can be equally polite following an involuntary fart! shock
OoRoo

Caro57 Sat 07-Sep-19 14:17:23

yes and definitely No 8. More to the point the writers shouldn't just say 'cancer' - it's a word for 300+ different diseases and is scaremongering for those who are diagnosed with perfectly treatable cancers

annodomini Sat 07-Sep-19 15:25:25

No5. A good friend once demonstrated the technique which looked quite simple. However, I still can't quite manage it. blush

Granny23 Sat 07-Sep-19 15:43:55

I've found the solution to No.5.

Wash sheet and when it comes dry and fresh from line or tumble dryer, put it straight onto the bed. Removed dirty sheet can wait to be freshly washed on bed change day.

CBBL Sat 07-Sep-19 15:44:44

Loved and agreed with almost the entire list - and many of the suggestions that followed!

Esmerelda Sat 07-Sep-19 16:28:53

What is all this popptcock about No. 5. I've never had a problem folding a fitted sheet in my life ... it's hardly rocket science and I can't understand why anyone would find it difficult!

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Sep-19 16:48:39

Enjoyed all of the points and can add to janes comment on No5. - there is also a tutorial on how to put la cover on a duvet.
I’ve never heard of anyone who had a problem with pillow cases?
Not sure about number 19. I do get very cross when I see someone trying to push in BUT I have been in an unfamiliar area and been very grateful to the kind person lets me in.
It irritates me when we have been given plenty of warning, everyone else is obeying instructions but there’s always one that chances his arm.

EllieB52 Sat 07-Sep-19 17:17:54

All very funny - and true.
Another one that’s dawned on me recently. My husband seems to think I’m a cheap version of Alexa. He keeps asking me things like
What’s the time?
What’s the weather forecast?
What day is it?
What’s on TV?
Anything on at the cinema?
Etc etc.
Or is it just conversation, lol.

Jennyluck Sat 07-Sep-19 17:21:46

Love 19!???

Foxyfred Sat 07-Sep-19 17:22:39

All but I love no 19. Always do this if I see one trying to cut in, having no eye contact of course.

Jani31 Sat 07-Sep-19 17:31:02

Autocheck put a lot of words into American like missing out the U in favor in my essays for Uni ? So yes, always checked my work and saved it frequently ?

TheMaggiejane1 Sat 07-Sep-19 17:31:05

Really useful janeainsworth, I’ve saved the video! My one would be ‘Always keep a really impressive, highbrow book by the side of the bed. That way if you die during the night people will always remember you as being highly intelligent’.