Gransnet forums

Chat

Do any of these apply to you?

(71 Posts)
Anja Fri 06-Sep-19 12:58:49

Undeniable Adult Truths
1. Part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.
2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
3. I take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.
4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.
5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?
6. Was learning joined up writing really necessary?
7. Google maps really needs to start their directions on number 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my street.
8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.
9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.
10. Bad decisions make good stories.
11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blu-Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection, again.
13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.
14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.
15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well..
16. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.
17. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.
18. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?
19. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent an idiot from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!
20. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is...

or can you add more of your own? ?

gmarie Tue 10-Sep-19 17:40:24

Me, too, Diane227 grin, although I'm just as likely to be seen muttering to MYSELF in the grocery isle since I live alone and am in the habit of saying things aloud within the confines of my home for memory purposes. I'm sure I look daft! blush

NanTheWiser Tue 10-Sep-19 17:31:25

One to add, maybe, that after typing a long reply to a post on my iPad, it will suddenly disappear with the message "there was a problem with the webpage so it was reloaded" . Infuriating!

Diane227 Tue 10-Sep-19 10:41:17

I remember laughing at older people who talked to their dogs like they were people.
Now I have whole conversations with mine and in public.

gmarie Tue 10-Sep-19 07:59:14

Pome, hope today is better for you flowers.

Magsymoo, I thought the same thing but didn't say anything as I am from the US and thought perhaps it was one of those words having different connotations here and there. hmm

Pome Tue 10-Sep-19 00:54:45

Thank you all for a wonderful laugh after a really terrible day!
I recognised myself on all of them.

Evie64 Sun 08-Sep-19 17:22:28

Love this list, and all the suggestions. Will add: I wish when the Sat Nav tells my husband to "turn right" and he says "No, I'm sure it's left here" - I really wish the Sat nav replied "Well, if that's what you think then I'll just switch off shall I, I mean what's the bloody point of having be then eh?"

Magsymoo Sun 08-Sep-19 13:22:47

This might be a 'fun thread' but am I the only one who finds no. 16 inappropriate and racist? The word 'ghetto' is only ever used in relation to the Jews of Eastern Europe or black people in S. Africa or USA in the early 20c.

PamelaJ1 Sun 08-Sep-19 13:09:13

Learn how to smile and say thank you whenever your newly retired other half keeps telling you that he/she (mainly he, I suspect but daren’t say so) that he’s/she’s hung ‘your’ washing out.
Other everyday tasks can replace the above example.

Rufus2 Sun 08-Sep-19 12:55:27

Stay strong, brothers and sisters!
It's a good job this is a "fun"thread, otherwise I'd be questioning the sanity of some Brit motorists who'd cheerfully leave some poor sod, or sodess, out to dry (and die) in the face of oncoming trucks.
Aussie drivers would never do that! shockOoRoo

Rufus2 Sun 08-Sep-19 12:37:09

Whichever queue I choose in the supermarket, that queue will be the slowest moving.

petunia; We've dealt with this some time ago!
Always pick the one with the majority of men. They spend far less time than women, who have to fumble through a myriad of bags searching for a card that still has some credit! grin

Indigoblue Sun 08-Sep-19 12:16:42

Love them all!!!!

trisher Sun 08-Sep-19 11:11:53

They are all so true- here's a couple more

Keep your mobile phone close and it will never ring, when it's somewhere in the bottom of your bag it will.

When you see any programme more than once on TV you will always see the same particular bit,

petunia Sun 08-Sep-19 11:02:20

Here's a few

There will always be an odd sock in my life. Always

I always need a wee on long journeys precisely at the point where there is a long drive to the next services

At the theatre, the person with the seat in front of me is very very tall and broad

Whichever queue I choose in the supermarket, that queue will be the slowest moving

No matter what the weather forecast says, it will rain during our bar-b-que.

I wont realise my lovely new top is almost see through under certain lights until I'm wearing it at the event I bought it for

Grandchildren seem drawn to step in the dog dirt and the removal of that only seems to spread it onto all concerned

sodapop Sun 08-Sep-19 08:13:47

All so true. I agree with notanan as well, I have told my daughters to deal with my facial hair should I be unable to do so.
When your dog does something intelligent pretend you have trained him well, its not just chance.

gmarie Sun 08-Sep-19 06:57:50

Most of these made me laugh, smile or nod knowingly. I especially liked #19 as I was part of one of those lines of cars just last week and it was so, so satisfying! grin

Oh, and Notanan, yes to the chin hair plucking! I did that for my grandma when she was living and over 100. She'd just pass her fingers over her chin, pause, and point at the spot for me to tweeze! Now I'm doing it for myself every day. hmm

giulia Sun 08-Sep-19 05:46:42

No. 6 Cursive writing I have found that I am using Printing rather than cursive more and more. I think it is due to the ever-growing arthritis in my hands. It seems to be less painful - or is that just me?

BradfordLass72 Sun 08-Sep-19 04:29:57

nipsmum grin

I was once visiting a friend and her TV was on (what is it with people who put the damned thing on the moment they get up and it stays on all day?) and Oprah Winfrey was having a demonstration on how to fold a fitted sheet.

Was this serious? Indeed it was.

I really would not have believed, had someone asked me, that a sentient human had difficulty folding a fitted sheet.

shirleyhick Sat 07-Sep-19 21:02:23

Glad I am not the only one that does that Dee1012

Tamayra Sat 07-Sep-19 20:57:48

Someone once told me their friend was ‘very dead’
Turns out he was 2 days dead before anyone missed him & went to his flat !

LittlemoO Sat 07-Sep-19 18:52:43

Love all of them, (grin)

TheMaggiejane1 Sat 07-Sep-19 17:31:05

Really useful janeainsworth, I’ve saved the video! My one would be ‘Always keep a really impressive, highbrow book by the side of the bed. That way if you die during the night people will always remember you as being highly intelligent’.

Jani31 Sat 07-Sep-19 17:31:02

Autocheck put a lot of words into American like missing out the U in favor in my essays for Uni ? So yes, always checked my work and saved it frequently ?

Foxyfred Sat 07-Sep-19 17:22:39

All but I love no 19. Always do this if I see one trying to cut in, having no eye contact of course.

Jennyluck Sat 07-Sep-19 17:21:46

Love 19!???

EllieB52 Sat 07-Sep-19 17:17:54

All very funny - and true.
Another one that’s dawned on me recently. My husband seems to think I’m a cheap version of Alexa. He keeps asking me things like
What’s the time?
What’s the weather forecast?
What day is it?
What’s on TV?
Anything on at the cinema?
Etc etc.
Or is it just conversation, lol.