Gransnet forums

Chat

A gnashing of teeth

(68 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:02:21

My son installed Win 10 on a new computer yesterday.
It replaces the now unsupported Win 7 I've stubbornly clung to longer than I should.
So now I am learning how to cope with a new platform and it is driving me MAD.
Nothing responds as it should.
All the easy things which made life better on Win7 have gone and worst of all, I can't enlarge some of the tiny text on drop-down menus.
I have consulted the tech sites and they say it can't be done on Win 10.
My printer decided it didn't like Win10 any more than I did and spit the dummy.
Picasa is defunt so I can't edit pictures as I used to.
I have spent every bit of the day 7am-8pm with a very few breaks to go have a scream cuppa and I'm ready to relax with an audio book.

My nipple covers are no comfort.....

melp1 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:42:37

Aw windows XP how I loved this smile - hated every Windows since each one seems harder to unstand confused

cc Mon 09-Sep-19 17:17:40

humptydumpty - yes, I tried to find a new driver for my printer but could not find anything online that worked. It was an HP printer and even their user blogs and downloads did not help. I'm pretty computer literate but failed on this.

Hetty58 Mon 09-Sep-19 17:10:41

One thing's for sure, there will be a Windows 11 (or whatever they call it) in just a few years! I'm on 10 with Chrome and I've found no problems but then I decide when to update. No automatic updates for me as I'll wait until the initial problems are resolved.

At work, I liked XP the most but Microsoft will soon refuse to support an older version when they have a newer one to sell. It was quite a challenge getting roped into teaching Excel, Word and Access along with numeracy and literacy when I hadn't ever learned them myself and the versions kept changing!

Conni7 Mon 09-Sep-19 16:46:48

I'm told that there is an update for Windows 10 called Windows 901 or 903, which is different from the automatic updates and which you have to download yourself. It takes about 6 hours to download. Has anyone done this? I'm too nervous to do it as it involves the computer turning itself off and on several times. I have had Windows 10 for some time and the most annoying thing is that printing out an attachment involves downloading and saving it first. Then you have to find it in your files in order to print! Why?

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:31:02

I'm Apple through and through. Started back in 1980s when the Macintosh came out.

Sorry help with Window problem. My husband has a pc and was told not to instal 10. Can the previous version you had be reinstalled.

humptydumpty Mon 09-Sep-19 15:06:20

For those people whose printers don't work after the upgrade to W10, have you tried to update the driver for the printer? there may very well be a later version..

NanaMacGeek Mon 09-Sep-19 15:01:30

BradfordLass72, have you been in touch with the RNIB? They can advise you about software that you can run on a PC that will enable you to operate it using reduced vision.

They may even be able to put you in touch with a charity that will send someone to install it and help you to use it. (It's something I was asked to do as a volunteer a few months ago.)

I have used Linux in the past but would think carefully about how much effort you would be prepared to put in to becoming comfortable with it - see the following link:-
www.freecodecamp.org/news/i-switched-from-windows-to-linux-here-are-the-lessons-i-learned-along-the-way-434da84ab63f/

Microsoft are concentrating on artificial intelligence and cloud storage and are moving away from further development of their Windows operating system. They are losing out to mobile technology and are concentrating on getting Microsoft applications such as their Office Suite running with Android and Apple (it runs well on my Apple devices). Chromebooks are beginning to run Android apps.

For the time being, I think you are going to have to grit your teeth, warm up your nipple covers and keep going!

rockgran Mon 09-Sep-19 11:45:11

I am keeping windows 7 on an older computer but I will not use it for the internet. It will still do for many other applications such as playing all my music, photos, videos I have made, etc. Not everything has to be connected to the internet to use. In fact I still have an old XP laptop which is great for older software. XP was the best version in my opinion - with Windows 7 a close second. (My main computer is a mac by the way.) I quite like messing with computers but it is a headache trying to keep up if you are not interested.

jaylucy Mon 09-Sep-19 10:31:44

I have been using Windows 10 for a few years - it came built in with my lap top and can say I haven't had many problems with it.
I used to use Firefox but then changed to Chrome - I now use Brave, after I was scammed and it has the added bonus of blocking Ads!
The thing I find annoying with 10 (apart from the constant updates) is the fact that it doesn't work well with some of the older Windows systems - I was halfway through an online course that used Windows 97- sent my work to my tutor and several times, I ended up having to send it to her as a pdf and several things I was supposed to do were made difficult because they were on the older system, especially forms that have been built on a spreadsheet on the older system.
Suggest you get someone that is IT savvy to download Firefox or try Chrome - I have found it works as well.

JacquiG Mon 09-Sep-19 09:22:52

You don't have to update to Windows 10. You can stick with what you've got but get a very good quality anti-virus with all the trimmings and protections. Although agree with the contributor who said yes, persevere because you get used to it.

I work with Windows 8.1. The very first update put all my printers onto the same driver. Still grumbling about it!

Willow500 Mon 09-Sep-19 07:05:09

If you go to the Windows button on the bottom right hand side and click the gear icon it will bring up the settings menu where you can change the display size in Ease of Access up to 175% which might help. I don't use Picasa so don't know about that but it's possible your printer won't work - you should be able to download a driver update depending on the age of your printer but you may just have to buy a new one.

I had to buy Win 10 for my desktop last year when the hard drive failed and the new one wouldn't install Win 7. As I only use that machine for a couple of things I haven't really had much of an issue with it but I do find it updates and turns everything off even though I've set it not to do it automatically. I use an iMac for everything else but also have a laptop with Win 7 on it which I know will need upgrading next year - I'm seriously thinking of just ditching it and going back to the old iMac which is sitting in the garage doing nothing.

Even the huge company (IBM) I worked for were still giving out Win 7 laptops when I left last year as a lot of software wasn't compatible with 10 which says a lot.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll get to grips with it eventually but it is extremely frustrating!

GabriellaG54 Mon 09-Sep-19 02:03:44

Win 10 has a rotten reputation. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Smurf44 Sun 08-Sep-19 22:19:03

lemongrove I have just read your message and fully agree. Like you I loved XP and now find it much easier to use the iPad than the PC. I Used to be able to produce all sorts of “simple” graphics via Publisher and even Word, but sadly the whole format has changed so much my former knowledge no longer works. How annoying is that?

Smurf44 Sun 08-Sep-19 22:11:31

I have Windows 10 and like others, do not like it. At the end of July my OH uploaded the latest Kaspersky security update as he does every July, only to have the dreaded Blue Screen appear. The same happened to his PC too! ?. No matter what we did, they refused to be fixed. It turned out that Windows 10 was not compatible with the long trusted Kaspersky! After many blue words over both our blue screens, my OH finally managed to fix both PCs after completely reinstalling Windows 10 but it took him a couple of weeks to find the problem and then fix it. We both hate Windows and their continual changes and the way users are forced to update as older versions are no longer supported. I still long for the simplicity of XP and its long lost excellent features. ?. Meanwhile Windows continues to make billions regardless of the problems its customers have to endure. ?

lemongrove Sun 08-Sep-19 22:01:35

Yes, I agree, bring back XP ?
Constant problems with Windows 10 on computer, am much happier on the ipad, so rarely use the comp these days.
Teenage DGS is quite helpful if we have a problem though.

Saetana Sun 08-Sep-19 21:37:44

There is a piece of software available (I think its free) called Classic Shell. This can make your Windows 10 look like any previous version you like - apparently there is little changed "under the hood" so to speak from Windows 7. Classic Shell allows you to more or less use the version of Windows you prefer. I'm using Windows 7 and plan to do so until I buy a new PC next year - and then I will download Classic Shell to make it look less like the abomination it is grin

Trixee Sun 08-Sep-19 21:37:29

Yes same here, much prefer Linux, very easy. My DH can’t be doing with windows

Pat1949 Sun 08-Sep-19 21:36:33

Just be grateful windows had to dump Windows 8 and 8.1 quite quickly, it was so totally different from windows 7. Users had no end of problems Windows 10 is what replaced it which I found very similar to 7. Firefox worked o.k. Can't stand Bing so that had to go. You can set it up so it's very similar to windows 7. Stick with it you'll conquer it in the end. Btw there's a new Windows due the end of next year.

stillabitfit Sun 08-Sep-19 21:09:28

Bradfordlass I did click on your link. I am very sorry you have got AMD, it must be tough to adapt to. I wish you well, especially with finding some more tailored programmes so you can continue to enjoy online stuff. ⭐?

Grandmama Sun 08-Sep-19 20:57:03

Windows 10 drives me mad, too, after being used to Vista. A friend of mine who started her own computer training business when she was made redundant set up Windows 10 for me, she was worth every penny - and I've emailed and rung her several times and she's always ready to help. Updates always change something and make me cross, recently I had to install some software to be able to get the latest updates on Windows 10 - a nightmare. My friend advised and my daughter did it for me. Time and time again my finger catches the left click and the page goes either very large, very small or I get multiple pages on the screen.angry

BradfordLass72 Sun 08-Sep-19 20:23:51

Thank you all for the hints and tips. I have to say I've been using computers since the 80's. Long before the Internet there were Bulletin Boards - as no doubt many of you will remember.

In addition, I've run 'Computer Usage for the Over-55s' at our library - so I'm by no means a novice.

I used to be able to repair everything which went wrong with both hardware and software in my computer and for others.

BUT

All the above was done with perfect sight.
Now, when I look at the line, square and cross at the top right of every page, I can't see it.

The text, everywhere is clouded, moving and undulating; there's a very small range of text sizes I can see.
Anything under 11pt and over 16pt is totallt unreadable.
It's a struggle to read anything on Word unless its Bold.

I shall persevere with Win 10 and try some of the other photo editing tools suggested here (thank you flowers
and no doubt I will, eventually get used to it all.

If not, I shall research Linux.

If you want some idea of what late-stage AMD looks like through my eyes, there's a good page here:

www.visionaware.org/info/your-eye-condition/age-related-macular-degeneration-amd/how-does-amd-affect-vision/125

BlueSapphire Sun 08-Sep-19 18:32:17

Have not had any problems with Windows 10. Am just about to get a new laptop and hoping all goes smoothly. (Old desktop computer was bought in 2007 and has now died on me). DSil has downloaded everything off it and hopefully will install onto new laptop. Luckily have a reserve laptop and Kindle which are still fine, although Kindle doesn't use Windows.

SandraPotter Sun 08-Sep-19 17:36:19

I feel for you! Have just bought a new laptop after my old one died of old age. Frustration of not being able to do everything I used to - especially with a newer version of Word- is driving me to tears, literally.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Sep-19 17:05:42

I ve been on 10 so long that I ve forgotten what 7 was like I did have problems with 8 I remember and 10 was easy after that

Elegran Sun 08-Sep-19 17:04:22

Nelie I tried doing a restore, but it ground to a halt when it came across a Kaspersky Security file that it couldn't access.