Gransnet forums

Chat

A gnashing of teeth

(67 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:02:21

My son installed Win 10 on a new computer yesterday.
It replaces the now unsupported Win 7 I've stubbornly clung to longer than I should.
So now I am learning how to cope with a new platform and it is driving me MAD.
Nothing responds as it should.
All the easy things which made life better on Win7 have gone and worst of all, I can't enlarge some of the tiny text on drop-down menus.
I have consulted the tech sites and they say it can't be done on Win 10.
My printer decided it didn't like Win10 any more than I did and spit the dummy.
Picasa is defunt so I can't edit pictures as I used to.
I have spent every bit of the day 7am-8pm with a very few breaks to go have a scream cuppa and I'm ready to relax with an audio book.

My nipple covers are no comfort.....

dragonfly46 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:06:36

Oh dear.
I am afraid we are all Apple in our house so no problems. I wish you well today!

Elegran Sun 08-Sep-19 09:22:55

Watch out for the Windows 10 updates. They always change at least one thing so that what worked before is now impossible, and you have to check all the settings to find out what the @@ is wrong.

It removed Firefox completely from my PC and changed the way my PC connected to the internet, so I couldn't even load Windows own browser to find and reload Firefox. After a lot of frustration I eventually discovered that it had a list of all four of the internet modems we had ever owned and discarded, going back at least thirty years, sorted in "order of preference" There was no way for me to change that order

Their most preferred was the oldest, least preferred was the current one. It then tried only the top three, and gave up when none of them would work. I had to select each non-existent modem and tell the PC to forget that one, leaving only the current one. Alleluya! A connection!

EllanVannin Sun 08-Sep-19 09:26:13

I've been using a 10 for the past few years, this present one is only about 3 months old as the previous one which I'd only used for 3 years was either hacked or the hard-drive packed in so I gave it to my GS.
Yes, the 7 was so easy in comparison. I don't know half of what this laptop is capable of, it's a wireless one.

Cherrytree59 Sun 08-Sep-19 09:31:33

Bradfordlass you may be able to to download picasa.

My DH now uses photopad instead of picasa

fizzers Sun 08-Sep-19 09:40:40

Win 10 is the bane of my life, everytime there is an update it drastically alters something, or something that previously worked, no longer works

eazybee Sun 08-Sep-19 09:44:05

I agree; I had to upgrade to Windows 10, and there seem to be unnecessary complications with so many simple operations.

harrigran Sun 08-Sep-19 10:06:22

Every update changes something, sometimes passwords are not remembered.
I had Windows 10 set to resemble 7 until I got used to it but I think it is just something you have to get used to. I think all the software is produced by 15 year olds just to confuse us.

Grammaretto Sun 08-Sep-19 10:16:05

I feel for you!! I was exactly the same and happy with what we had. Photos, text size, everything.
The massive layout now full of things I don't need and will never use.

When will some these web designers learn that simple is best. Perhaps when they get old themselves?

Craftycat Sun 08-Sep-19 11:08:38

It took me a while too. My main problem is DH is a computer geek ( to be fair it is his job too) & sets 'new' things on my laptop without telling me ^ then gets very brusque when I ask for help.
I sometimes wait until a helpful son comes round & get them to explain in simple English.

cc Sun 08-Sep-19 11:10:12

I had XP on various computers for years, but had to update it when I got my new computer 4 years ago. It came with an old version of windows but with a free update to Windows 10 which took two days to download and install even though I'm pretty computer competent. Windows 10 (and the programs that go with it) are, in my opinion, not nearly as user-friendly as the old ones, and it is hard to find anything in the operating system. The file system is particularly annoying. Everybody I know found that their older printers simply did not work with the system and, like me, had to get new printers even though the old ones had life in them.

I agree with others that simple is best, they could perhaps produce an operating system that doesn't have quite so many bells and whistles for those of us who don't need them?

Jillybird Sun 08-Sep-19 11:17:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jane10 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:22:07

Gosh. I was put off Windows 10 by reading comments such as those above but I had to change to it after my bank refused to co operate with it.
Despite my fears all was fine. I seem to be able to do everything I want to and don't seem to have hit the complications found by you others. Am I doing something wrong?!

jenni123 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:23:50

i UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 10 A LONG TIME AGO, AT FIRST IT WAS DIFFERENT BUT i PERSEVERED AND NOW i PREFER IT. iT'S LIKE WHEN YOU GET A NEW MOBILE PHONE, IT IS STRANGE AT FIRST, EVEN IF YOU GET THE SAME BRAND, AFTER COUPLE WEEKS OF USE IT IS NORMAL. So sorry didn't realise caps were on and don't want to have to retype. I hoonestly am not shouting at you. apologies

lovebooks Sun 08-Sep-19 11:25:50

Windows 10 - from a fellow-sufferer - AWFUL! Took a day and a half to download, then I couldn't upload images from my camera until I paid for support (the solution was simple, but why wasn't I told?) I am also a writer, and this stuff is scary. My beloved IT support died five years ago, leaving me like a beetle on its back, with SO much to learn. Our daughter's a Mac user, so is unfamiliar with this and can't help. Since we have a number of W10 sufferers on here, might we form a self-help group?

TheReadingRoom Sun 08-Sep-19 11:30:23

Switched my PC on after 2 days away last week only to be faced with 2 hours' worth of W10 updates! When it had finished, I found my desktop had been obliterated with no access to my files and folders. Just a black screen and Cortana.
Needless to say PC is going to see Uncle Darren tomorrow.
Now using my travel laptop which is very different!

Hazeld Sun 08-Sep-19 11:30:27

When I bought this computer a few years ago, it had windows 7 installed and it gave me the option to try Win 10 and if we didn't like it we could revert back to 7. The same with my OH. He decided to give it a try but hated it and guess what? It wouldn't let him go back to 7 so he's stuck with it now and he hates it. Needless to say, I stayed with 7 and I'm so pleased I did. I haven't yet met anyone who does like it. Unfortunately I know that next time I buy a new computer, it will have 10 installed and i'll just have to put up with it.

EllieB52 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:36:59

I use W10 but find it very annoying. Updates cause all sorts of problems. Last months update stopped W10 shutting down properly but every solution I googled meant you needed a Masters Degree in Computerspeak! I just didn’t understand most of it - and I’m far from stupid. Eventually, after a couple of weeks the system decided it needed to update a particular driver so I let it. It resolved the problem. Nothing should be that hit and miss though. When this one gives up the ghost I’m going iMac!!

counterpoint Sun 08-Sep-19 11:38:21

I refuse to be held captive by Microsoft or Apple. My computers run Linux.

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:40:51

The worst version of Windows ever, and I have been using it since it replaced Gem in 1986. Microsoft ‘thought’ it could enhance users capability but all it did was de skill several ‘generations’ of users. Like many many people I eventually threw the whole thing away and adopted a simple Lynex system with Open Office on top of that.

Took a few weeks to become as competent as I was before the change but now I have a stable system that does need ever to be updated which will do for the remaining two decades (if I am lucky) of my life.

Can I encourage everyone that can, to tell Microsoft to stuff Windows 10 and adopt something that actually works. It feels like a big jump, but honestly it is not.

Lupatria Sun 08-Sep-19 11:41:12

i like windows 10! it's not really so different to other operating systems although it takes a bit of getting used to at first. i've been using it for several years now and i don't have any problems with updates. perhaps i'm lucky.

Rosina Sun 08-Sep-19 11:41:48

I had to buy a new PC, which had Windows 8, with a promise of Windows 10 when it was 'rolled out' I had been perfectly happy and felt I was pretty skilled on Windows 7, and when Windows 10 was installed - without warning - I hated it, and still do. Upgrades, as other posters have said, are installed without warning and always result in my being 'unlogged' from many sites - including Gransnet - and I have to log in again. Some of the better features which made my PC use easy seem to have gone completely, or are buried deep in the system and need many clicks to find them. I read at the time that Windows 8 was condemned as soon as it was launched - quite rightly - and that Windows 10 was to be the last programme. What a pity - give me Windows 7 any time as it was by far the best.

maryhoffman37 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:45:01

I have used AppleMacs since 1989 and PCs are a mystery to me. But all Picasaweb data has migrated to Google Photos, so you should still be able to access and edit pics.

Esmerelda Sun 08-Sep-19 11:49:09

I'm in the same boat as you, BradfordLass but I have decided not to abandon my lovely Windows 7. Although I had no idea Windows 10 was hated so much and gave everyone so many problems I did download the free version they sent me back when it was launched and decided that I didn't like it very much so opted to return to good old 7 ... and there I shall stay.

I'm thinking of investing in a laptop in the future, which will no doubt have the dreaded 10 pre-loaded, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (and I'll still have my trusty 7 on the main computer to fall back on!). And who knows, they may have jumped to Windows 20 by then ... ???

libra10 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:55:52

I eventually installed Windows 10, and have become used to the new system, though upgrades can knock my PC sideways!

Which browser is everyone using? I use Chrome, and find it very similar to when I used to use Windows 7. Once you get your preferred browser downloaded, other things fall into place.