Gransnet forums

Chat

This is not a thread about a thread but...

(111 Posts)
Gonegirl Mon 09-Sep-19 11:39:01

... on another thread a poster says she is genuinely afraid of the turmoil we are in re Brexit.

Is it me?

The only think I'm scared of at the moment is the fact that I've got to have a clean and polish at the dentist tomorrow. And other slight bodily disorders. Brexit just never enters into my busy little worry-world. I just feel I am watching with interest from the sidelines.

I have put this under Chat deliberately. Not politics.

Gonegirl Mon 09-Sep-19 13:46:20

There was obviously a crossed post there Sussexborn. Look at the post times before calling a comment crass.

Sara65 Mon 09-Sep-19 13:48:07

I think brexit has brought out the worst in leavers and remainers, but that’s all I’m saying on this subject!

BlueBelle Mon 09-Sep-19 13:48:32

I m not in a worry about it but I do think about it and I am concerned for my kids my grandkids and the future probably for others more than myself in the same way that I m concerned for the people in Bahamas and Syria I think about things like that a lot and I think it’s quite insular and a bit selfish to not be concerned about anything other than your own world expect for people like joannapiano who I can totally understand have all consuming worries going on closer to home

Jane10 Mon 09-Sep-19 13:56:20

But BlueBelle all the worrying in the world by us Grans won't help one little bit. Worrying is just personal mental torture. Addressing problems is something else altogether. When we're given something to do, eg vote, we'll do it until then there's nothing useful for us to do.

Nonnie Mon 09-Sep-19 13:57:33

There are some things we cannot change, death illness etc so we have to accept them but there are things we can change and should do all in our power to do so. You will all have read some version of this: "All it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing" If good people had risen against some of our historical atrocities they may have ended sooner. It took good people to rise up against slavery to stop it.

joannapiano Mon 09-Sep-19 13:59:31

Thank you Sussexborn and Bluebell. Sorry if I came across a bit selfish with my post, everyone, but DH and myself are genuinely very tired of the machinations around Brexit. The world just needs a bit more kindness, and that’s what I stress to our 8 DGC.

nanou Mon 09-Sep-19 14:00:29

Oh well we are all wise old birds by now and what will be will be (they don't listen anyway).

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 14:02:44

'Thank goodness most of the work of running the country is done by the civil service'; I thought I heard on the news yesterday that parts of the civil service were considering going on strike because of things that Johnson is planning to do. I don't think I misheard it because I asked the S.O. if it had happened before and he said he didn't think it had...

Grannybags Mon 09-Sep-19 14:08:18

I agree Gonegirl I'm not afraid. I watch the news to keep up with what's happening and used to worry about it. Now it's been going on for so long and seems to get worse with every news bulletin I'm trying not to worry until there is something I can do about it with an election, then I will start to worry as I have no idea who I'd vote for now!

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 14:11:07

Quite honestly Brexit isn't going to affect me greatly; I don't think my children's jobs will be threatened, I don't [thus far] depend on medication and I can pretty much live on fresh air if I need to. But reading cases where Brexit is affecting people upsets me greatly and I love my country and hate to see the shambolic mess we're in. Even today, seeing pictures of Johnson in Ireland slouching, grimacing and even doing arm stretches while Varadkar was speaking fill me with dismay. I just can't imagine what other countries think about us. And it does annoy me that, if I did want to travel abroad it will cost me more and there will be hold ups at airports etc.

eazybee Mon 09-Sep-19 14:13:53

I am very concerned about the current state of British politics, but I have four friends I see regularly who are supremely uninterested in politics, only concerned about their dogs and their grandchildren, ( in that order); other friends who worry about the state of the universe but not their families, and my next-door neighbour who ignores everything but her garden, so:
we are all different.
Thank goodness.

Sara65 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:19:23

Our business will be affected by brexit, but we just have to get on with it.

Nonnie Mon 09-Sep-19 15:46:50

Maybe it isn't going to happen. £ has risen against the $ since the vote to stop a no deal. Must mean the markets foresee that possibility.

callgirl1 Mon 09-Sep-19 16:20:03

I`m sick to death of hearing about it all. I`m old enough to remember that we survived before we joined, so why all the fuss?

Sara65 Mon 09-Sep-19 16:23:27

Well I think if there was a vote between stay, leave, or couldn’t care less, it would be close.

Eloethan Mon 09-Sep-19 16:47:40

I'm not sure even people who are reasonably financially secure can guarantee they're "all right Jack" and I think many people may potentially be negatively affected in a variety of ways by leaving without a deal.

Yes, I am worried. Not so much for ourselves as I don't suppose we have that many years left and we have a good pension and our own home (although I am very concerned about relying on the US for trade deals and on the possible decline in health and safety and environmental standards).

I am worried for our son's job and his young family's health, education and financial security. And I am worried for the many other working people who may be affected by job losses.

The "gloom and doom brigade" as some of us are so rudely referred to, are perhaps are a little more realistic about this country's ability to magic deals out of the air and protect citizens' living standards - given the total mess this government has made of institutions such as schools, universities, the justice system and the health service. We hardly starting at a high point in our country's history.

Elegran Mon 09-Sep-19 16:58:12

" . . we survived before we joined, so why all the fuss?" The world has changed dramatically all around us since then. Relationships between countries and blocs are not the same as they were then, neither are communications and trading standards and methods.

mcem Mon 09-Sep-19 17:02:39

Today for the first time, I'm having to face the prospect that my DS, DiL and new DGS may consider moving away. What might stop them is independence for Scotland.
Too bloody right I'm bothered that this abominable chaos may drive my family away!

lemongrove Mon 09-Sep-19 17:02:53

I’m not worried by it either ( the majority on this thread aren’t) and quite rightly.
I ‘ve always thought there could be short term disruption for long term gain.
I understand some concerns, but not the OMG we’re doomed
Comments that frequently appear on GN.

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 17:04:53

My daughter has contemplated emigrating, too; something that was never on the cards prior to all this.

Lessismore Mon 09-Sep-19 17:11:59

I dunno....I look at people I know who are in a room with no access to a cooker or a fridge, eating tinned food and I just think what will become of them.

Please please do not accuse me of " virtue signalling" because I am not.

merlotgran Mon 09-Sep-19 17:13:30

We had tinned food before we joined the common market didn't we?

Lessismore Mon 09-Sep-19 17:16:05

Yes, never mind. I refer to people at the bottom of the pile and I wonder how they will be affected.. People in squalid rooms, with nothing but a tin of beans. Never mind, really. I am losing the desire to bother.

PamQS Mon 09-Sep-19 17:19:03

I am worried about the potentially destabilising effects in Northern Ireland where my small grandchildren live.

I’m worried about several friends with cancer, who are unsure if their treatment will continue.

I don’t expect people to be worried if nobody they care about is likely to be affected.

mcem Mon 09-Sep-19 17:24:42

You're right less but, selfishly, that doesn't make it easier to face the previously unheard-of prospect of my own family moving away entirely because of brexit!
I now feel that Scotland's independence is becoming not only inevitable, but more and more desirable.