Gransnet forums

Chat

Wet, wet, wet

(30 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 09-Sep-19 14:08:39

No not the group, the weather. We are in the west country for a few days and it's incredibly wet today. We're thinking of going out for lunch but it's just too torrential. It's going to be better tomorrow but sitting here watching what should be an incredible view merging with the rain and mist!

Grannybags Mon 09-Sep-19 14:10:09

Know what you mean - we live close to Bristol/Bath and it's been tipping down all day!

pinkquartz Mon 09-Sep-19 14:12:31

the west country is very green for a reason........it is the wet country!

I live here and my first outing with a friend for almost a year has been postponed because of the rain. and yesterday was beautiful, warm and sunny.

Hetty58 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:13:09

It's good news for some of us, with parched gardens and aching backs from all the watering. I hope it brightens up for you soon.

crazyH Mon 09-Sep-19 14:15:52

So wet....just sitting here with my iPad , all morning !!!!!!!! Oh heck ....it's 14.15 ?

Sussexborn Mon 09-Sep-19 14:22:13

That was a shock crazyH! Last time I checked it was 11.30! I haven’t drawn the curtains back yet but can hear the tyres squelching on the road outside.

Sara65 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:30:38

We live and work in the West Country, it’s absolutely tipping!

Oopsminty Mon 09-Sep-19 14:39:07

Get out a jigsaw!

Daisymae Mon 09-Sep-19 14:43:55

We live in the driest part of the country too! This was yesterday....

Grandma600 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:47:47

At least in the West we don't often get that lazy wind that Easterners get...the one that goes through rather than around!
Didn't Billy Connolly say there's never bad weather, only the wrong clothes!
Enjoy your visit x

Sara65 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:54:53

Grandma

That’s what my gardener always says!

Daisymae Mon 09-Sep-19 15:01:09

Yup! And I have the wrong clothes too. So I am staying put.

EllanVannin Mon 09-Sep-19 15:25:43

Damp and miserable is how I'd describe today sad

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 15:39:46

Not so much wet,wet,wet. as cold, cold, cold. Temperature outside was 12.3 ysterday morning and not much better today. I am in my winter night dress , but still in summer cloths (with wool sweater over) because they say it will warm up for a couple of days, towards the end of the week.

Namsnanny Mon 09-Sep-19 16:12:33

Could be worse....think tent!!!
My experience of holidays as a child are general lovely, but when it rained the tent leaked if you touched it, which was impossible not to as the apex was too low for gangly teenagers!
Us Glum kids looking out the zip flap doors waiting for the weather to brighten up!!!

BBbevan Mon 09-Sep-19 16:21:05

We live in SW Wales and it has been pouring on and off all day. Love sitting in the conservatory and hearing the rain on the glass.

crazyH Mon 09-Sep-19 16:36:40

Oh I so miss the monsoons!!! Running outside in just my panties and having a shower in the rain. My darling mum passing me a bar of soap to scrub myself down.
Btw, has anyone seen ball lightning? I have......scary experience!!

BradfordLass72 Tue 10-Sep-19 01:57:51

I think I can probably beat you all.
We have not had a totally rainless day for almost three months.

It is the wet season, we get this every year but for some reason, 2019 has been one of the wettest we've ever known.
I'm heartily sick of it.

It hasn't all been torrential with flood damage and home evacuated, that too comes every year but we do usually have sunny days or a morning of rain with sun in the afternoon.
But this year........sad

Lyndiloo Tue 10-Sep-19 02:05:30

Very strange weather here in the Midlands. In one day we can have heavy rain followed by bright, hot, sunshine.

Today, rainy though. Which made me mad as I had arranged to go scrumping apples in my daughter's garden!

LullyDully Tue 10-Sep-19 08:27:28

We are on holiday in West Wales . It hammered down yesterday and the hills looked beautiful shrouded in low cloud.

AlsoWe are exploring both our Welsh roots and I am getting ' welshier ' by the minute. Just wish I had learned more of the language from my granny.

Anniebach Tue 10-Sep-19 08:38:03

It’s raining in Mid Wales , no surprise

Gaunt47 Tue 10-Sep-19 08:43:01

Oh my goodness, here in north Cornwall the sun is trying to come out!! It's unlikely to be for long however...

Daisymae Tue 10-Sep-19 08:44:23

Bradford lass - have friends who remark on the north south divide - apparently it's often 10 degrees warmer in southern climes. Anyway it has stopped today so venturing out later.

cornergran Tue 10-Sep-19 09:15:50

Tuesday morning and it’s grey and overcast in our bit of Somerset. The weather forecaster insists it’s sunny. hmm. It does seem wetter here than further East. Funny old country we live in.

Teacheranne Tue 10-Sep-19 09:17:55

It's actually dry today here in the NW, so finally my new velux window can be fitted.

The roofer has been waiting for 6 weeks to do the work having already bought the bespoke sized window but the seemingly constant rain has delayed all his jobs. He must have lost so much money this summer as roofing is difficult to do in the rain!

When he did a complete reroof two years ago, he had to contend with snow and ice! Now I just need to wait for him to have the time to finish the work by refelting two flat roofs and my house will be cozy again.