Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't keep away.

(78 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 10-Sep-19 21:05:52

A small pop-up shop has appeared in a village near me. It sells beautiful items...homeware, silk dressing gowns (£79) all sorts.
I passed it after having coffee with a friend and went inside 'just to look'.
I ended up buying a huge dark pink faux dahlia and a length of pale plum-coloured grosgrain ribbon to tie up the white cotton voile drapes in my bedroom which puddle on the floor.
I wascsoemrelybtempted by some gorgeous pale pink plates but managed to walk out having only splurged £22 blush
The shop has an online presence so no doubt I'll be buying some special C gifts there over the coming weeks.
What type of shops intrigue you and do you end up making a random purchase?
The name of the shop is Curated Living, www.curatedliving.co.uk

Nortsat46 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:24:30

Gabriella how lovely.
You should drop an email to their Customer Service and tell them how much you like their shop and that you have posted about it on GN.
I recently mentioned Moshulu shoes in a post and lots of GN's replied that they had looked them up and ordered something.
I wrote to Moshulu customer service to give them this positive feedback and they sent me a £10 voucher!
( I didn't do this to try and elicit a voucher, it was entirely innocent) ?

Sara65 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:35:38

Just had a browse, reminds me of Graham and Green, where I can always buy a few unnecessary odds and ends. Love the pink plates, and have an urge to buy the green oval plate!

NanKate Wed 11-Sep-19 07:44:42

Charity shops for me too. We have 5 good ones in our small town where I am to be found on a regular basis

Also I love stationery, pens, pencils, note books. I have so many purple pens of all varieties I could start my own shop. The NT shops sell small plastic notebooks with tiny pens attached. I think I need another one. ?

NannyJan53 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:51:22

Charity shops for me too! There are at least 10 in my town!

I have quite a few Hobbs and Phase 8 dresses from charity shops and tops galore! I always browse in one whilst in a new town.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Sep-19 07:56:43

Charity Shops and junk shops oh those little treasures you can find tucked away in nooks and crannies for next to nothing

Marydoll Wed 11-Sep-19 08:07:15

I have a friend who is so clever at finding bargains in charity shops, she has an eye for it. I walked past an item recently, when she called me back to tell me it was a James Lakeland top on sale for next to nothing. I hadn't even seen it.
She resells her designer items on ebay and makes a fortune from it.

However, I feel sometimes they overcharge.
When I was in St Andrew's recently, I thought I would be onto a winner and grab a bargain.
I was shocked to see one shop charging £8 for a Primark t shirt, which is more than the original price in Primark itself.

glammanana Wed 11-Sep-19 09:19:30

I love charity shops specially the bags section where you can find gems that are so cheaply priced by staff who don't know the value of the brands they have tagged,not too long ago I bought a Radley tote bag with tags for £4.99 it has pride of place in my collection.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Sep-19 09:22:48

Some of our local charity shops are the same with Primark clothes, Marydoll. You’d think Atmosphere was a designer brand. One also overcharges on books. It’s displayed a couple of World Book Day children’s books recently and wants £1.50 for them, even though they’ve got a walloping big WBD £1 price label on the front.

I like the thrill of the hunt though, there are some great finds to be had.

glammanana Wed 11-Sep-19 09:28:27

What a wonderful shop Gabriella I just love the big scarfs they are beautiful but I just could justify the price unless I came into some extra funds.

nettyandmasey Wed 11-Sep-19 10:39:07

Book shops and wool for me too.

inishowen Wed 11-Sep-19 10:40:33

Charity shops. I went in the other day and bought a novel, new top for granddaughter, top for myself. Grand cost £4.50. I get lovely handbags etc., I cant pass a charity shop.

Dee1012 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:40:40

I live in the North East and often visit the most wonderful bookshop, Barter Books in Alnwick.
It's based in an old railway station building and I can spend a LOT of time and money there.
I can highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

polnan Wed 11-Sep-19 10:48:18

oh gosh, and there`s me already over spent this month.. but thanks for the link,, I think I should thankyou, let`s see if I am temped to spend... I love , lovely stuff that I can`t afford

Greyduster Wed 11-Sep-19 10:52:48

If I lived in the North East, I would never be out of Barter Books, Dee1021! Other than that, for me it is somewhere like Lewis and Cooper’s deli/kitchen ware in Northallerton, or any fly fishing tackle shop anywhere!

Urmstongran Wed 11-Sep-19 10:57:17

‘Rose & Bumble’ in Urmston. And ‘The Bookshop’.

I love supporting independents.

Babs758 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:01:55

Those dressing gowns are gorgeous. I love the parrot one.. Will they fit a larger lady? Thinking of dropping a brick-sized hint to hubby for Christmas.

annifrance Wed 11-Sep-19 11:02:55

Can't resist NT mugs. Fabric shops and craft shops. The chain Action which I don't think are in the UK, are like upmarket pound shops. Can't resist a weekly visit!

kentmaid Wed 11-Sep-19 11:08:39

Bit late but had to mention the Chinese Emporiums in Spain. We spend the cold months there and no trip out is complete without popping in to see what we didn’t realise we needed.

I have the same problem with the old fashioned ironmongers here. You can keep all your tourist attractions in Norwich - my “must go to” place there is Thorns not far from the market place.

Davida1968 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:10:00

I'm with Greenfinch and others: charity shops every time! I've used these shops for decades and have bought some wonderful stuff in them. When DGC1 was on the way, I bought lots of beautiful baby clothes. (And a few more for DGC2). Either barely worn or not even used. Babs758, I bought a (very much a larger size!) lovely M&S dressing gown (I think it was new) for a fiver in a local charity shop.

Madmaggie Wed 11-Sep-19 11:13:05

Pottery made by a crafter, glass made by local crafter, farm shops selling local produce, cheeses chutneys etc. Books, art prints, handcrafted wood. Just bought a wooden love spoon for our wood anniversary (we're on short hol) & some tiny silver earrings that resemble trees. Things like that are memories. The crafter chatted to us about the spoon & told us where he'd sourced the wood, his elderly father carved our initials on it for us.

olliebeak Wed 11-Sep-19 11:20:23

Wool Shops and Charity Shops are my downfall [cry]wink!

Sr69 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:39:58

Agree with Dee1012 Barter books in Alnwick is fantastic.
We holiday in Bamburgh twice a year and always have a day
there. The coffee and food is lovely too and amazing open fires in the chilly weather.

NotSpaghetti Wed 11-Sep-19 11:54:39

Art materials shops and Boook shops are always enticing. And wool shops for me too Doodledog

NotSpaghetti Wed 11-Sep-19 11:55:20

Unfortunately I have enough yarn for my own shop now... ?

HillyN Wed 11-Sep-19 12:01:23

I regularly pop into my local charity shop- they have a great haberdashery section! However my main weakness is for garden centres; we visit some larger ones that have gifts and Christmas decorations in winter, as well as the plants. Fatal!