Gransnet forums

Chat

When did you last eat...

(144 Posts)
annsixty Thu 12-Sep-19 14:31:24

Tinned fruit?
I have just done an online food order and one of the special offers that came up was
tinned pears.
I can't remember the last time I ate tinned fruit of any sort.
It reminds me of Sunday tea with the Aunts, peaches and evaporated milk after tinned salmon and lettuce with salad cream

AlisonKF Fri 13-Sep-19 20:17:39

Where do you get edible fresh pears unless you have your own tree? I gave up on all supermarket pears years ago as they are bullet hard when bought and then suddenly rot with nothing in between. Tinned fruit is ideal for baking but quite expensive in any quantity. No peeling or coring though.

gmelon Fri 13-Sep-19 21:10:06

AlisonKF Lidl sell conference pears that ripen beautifully. If you see them for sale anywhere grab some.
I'd recommend conference pears every time.

discodiva Fri 13-Sep-19 21:49:52

The last tinned fruit I had was two cans of guavas my mum bought me from Waitrose last summer. When we were children (back in the 60s) my mum always served up a tin of fruit with either evaporated milk or vanilla ice cream for pudding.
I have to say though I do love guavas.

GreenGran78 Fri 13-Sep-19 23:12:18

Peaches with condensed milk were a regular item for Sunday tea, when I was young. I didn't like them together, so would have the peaches first, then the condensed milk on its own! (I also preferred my gravy by itself, after eating my dinner. I was a strange child!)
Sainsburys sell the most delicious grapefruit salad. Unfortunately it is in syrup, but I compromise with a small helping mixed with slices of satsuma and orange. Strangely, I have never been able to find canned grapefruit anywhere, when visiting my family in Australia, though they seem to sell just about every other kind of fruit. Very odd!

mermaid66 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:55:40

Tinned pears are lovely on muisli in morning saves cooking coring rock hard pears any day

wheelerwoman Sat 14-Sep-19 20:05:56

I am parcial to a tin of mandarin segments in juice with my morning nuts and cereal

notanan2 Sat 14-Sep-19 20:19:49

Fairly regularly. I like tinned mandarins in juice. Shop bought mandarins are often too bitter.

Greyduster Sat 14-Sep-19 20:39:56

We buy mandarin segments because DH and GS like them set in orange jelly. Apart from that I only buy pineapple slices to make pineapple upside down cake. Like others, tinned fruit and evaporated milk or Carnation cream featured on the childhood tea table every Sunday.

Abe49 Sun 15-Sep-19 22:22:57

EllanVannin where did you buy your crushed pineapple? I have been searching for some to make a hummingbird cake

moggie57 Sun 15-Sep-19 22:26:08

tinned pears ....maybe with evaporated milk. but loved the fresh pears from my mums parents garden. only thing when i picked one i got stung by a wasp.ouch .was only about 4 i think.

Anja Sun 15-Sep-19 22:29:00

And cans are easily recycled.

Lilypops Sun 15-Sep-19 22:36:43

We like tinned mandarins in a lime jelly with ice cream as a dessert , it's lovely ,

Lilypops Sun 15-Sep-19 22:40:24

Gone Girl , small tins of evapavailable in Morrisons and Asda,

henetha Mon 16-Sep-19 09:36:37

Tinned fruit is part of my everyday life. It's brilliant.

EllanVannin Mon 16-Sep-19 10:43:09

Abe49---it was Asda 2 weeks ago.

harrigran Mon 16-Sep-19 10:46:52

About three days ago, I had tinned peaches and ice cream.

Callistemon Mon 16-Sep-19 10:50:17

Tinned pineapple rings grilled with gammon.

Tinned peaches with fresh or frozen raspberries in a trifle.
I don't eat grapefruit so DH buys the tinned variety.
All in juice, not syrup.

This brings to mind that slogan:
'That's Australian Gold, my friend, and don't forget it!'

Tinned fruit is not usually from Australia nowadays.

Witzend Mon 16-Sep-19 10:51:59

One of my fondest memories of my paternal granny was the lovely teas she used to give us - things like Dairylea Triangles and Wagon Wheels, which were very rare treats at home.
And the orange jelly with tinned mandarin oranges in it! Another thing so rare at home.

After she died I kept the glass dish she used to put the jelly in - nothing special and not really beautiful at all, but I was really upset when it finally got broken.