Gransnet forums

Chat

How hard it is to be green?!!

(36 Posts)
trisher Fri 13-Sep-19 12:35:28

I've just done some painting (walls not pictures). I bought a cheap pack from my local supermarket-big &small roller, 2 trays 3 brushes and plastic cover. When I wanted to change paint colour I was tempted to buy another one, but then I thought about plastic and going green. So I started washing the roller but the amount of water needed worried me. So which is greener the cheap pack, or using gallons of water to clean my brushes etc?

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:40:23

It's really easy if you're tall and eat corn kernels. ?

Calendargirl Sat 14-Sep-19 19:42:06

mrsgreenfingers56

I applaud you for getting a water butt, we have several, but all made of plastic, so don’t know if that is very green really.

Labaik Sat 14-Sep-19 22:09:18

I've just received a Scotts of Stow catalogue that has lots of things in it that replace single use plastic. I'd imagine Lakeland do, too, but I haven't been there for a while. All I put in my dustbin is single use plastic; mostly stuff like plastic bags that contained bread etc.

Grammaretto Sat 14-Sep-19 22:45:12

Washing the paintwork instead of repainting it?
Clothes washing less often.
Reusing existing buckets. I live opposite a restaurant who throw out dozens of empty plastic mayonnaise buckets with lids. I have found these very useful.
I agree with MOnica. Use less, consume less.
Try anyway. smile
We in Scotland don't have a lack of water, at least, so I feel no guilt about rinsing empty cans.
Our new community run shop tries to avoid plastic and some customers are very excited. Someone came in yesterday and said we had the only ice cream he had seen in a container with no plastic. The same wee isle dairy sells milk in returnable glass bottles.

melp1 Sat 14-Sep-19 23:19:48

Used to think wind farms were green until I read this
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49567197?fbclid=IwAR3S1HraHDRFqseZesQ0uH8NzbP_31p7NtG8Pd3-QWqM-V1CyaoRPU7FYT0

paddyann Sun 15-Sep-19 00:29:16

Elegran he's very good at all things DIY,so he does the cleaning either outside or in the garage..touch wood ,theres been no mess yet and wont be.Though he d clean it up anyway

Labaik Sun 15-Sep-19 01:22:44

Grammaretto; I've still got large ice cream containers that I used to get from a little shop at Trebarwith Strand when we holidayed there in the 1980's. And Walls ice cream containers that must be at least 20 years old. Even Coffee Mate containers are good for holding paint brushes/ screws etc. I just wish milk from a milkman wasn't so expensive; DD always gets hers from a milkman but I'm on too limited a budget.

absent Sun 15-Sep-19 06:44:39

The amount of water on the planet has not and does not change. Accessibility to clean drinking water is another issue.

jocork Sun 15-Sep-19 07:53:36

I used to wash everything that went in my bin, not just recycling but even single use plastic containers because I worried about them attracting insects and being smelly etc. I have now stopped doing that because of water saving and haven't noticed my bin getting smally or more insects, so all is good. We don't have food waste bins in our area so I used to wrap any food waste in a plastic bag before putting in the bin for the same reasons. I've stopped doing that now too and my bin is coping. I now only wrap things that are really smelly like prawn shells or fish bones.

It's a while since I decorated but I think wiping off excess paint on old newspaper before washing brushes and rollers is a great idea to reduce the amount going down the drain. Thanks to whoever said that.

At the end of washing up I leave the water in the bowl and use it to soak empty glass jars to remove the labels and clean them. I then recycle by offering them on freegle for people who make jam or chutney.

I work as a learning support assistant and was interested to note that in technology the students were reminded that designers now have to consider the environmental impact of products at the design stage including the materials used to make things. They are encouraged to make things using recycled materials. I just wish that would extend to packaging in the commercial world!

Gaunt47 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:28:39

I too am careful with the amount of water I use, but that's because I have a water meter. Otherwise I wouldn't see the point of saving the odd litre of water when the water companies waste untold thousands of gallons with their leaky supply pipes.