Gransnet forums

Chat

what nobody told us about skylights-a lighthearted rant

(49 Posts)
petunia Sat 14-Sep-19 08:50:32

We had two lovely skylights fitted in our extended kitchen some time ago. They are great,they let the light and sunshine flood in. When I'm burning-sorry cooking-all evidence is whisked away in a flash. When they are open, air circulates and freshens the house and brings the sound of birds singing into the room. We love them

But what nobody told us about skylights....

Light does flood into the room its true, but in the intense heat of some summers, our south facing skylights heat up the room like a furnace. This means that we had to fit blackout blinds to the glass to keep out all that lovely sunshine.

Having skylights means that there is no loft or roof space, just a gorgeous vaulted ceiling. This means that various birds who treat our gardens as home THUNDER around on the roof during the hours of daylights and with no insulting space between, sound as though they are wearing boots.

Having skylights means that when it is raining, the sound of the rain on the slanted glass always sounds torrential.

Having skylights means a complicated and difficult operation to clean them inside and out. Ladders and extending poles are involved and much swearing

And finally, what no one told us is that every flying insect that flies in during the day will spend the night battering itself to death on the glass trying to get out during the night. Each morning there will be a small pile of corpses of various wasps, flies, moths etc. to sweep up.

Sigh.........

Jacqui1956 Sun 15-Sep-19 10:18:17

We’ve got sky lights in our lounge, we live in a bungalow. We have masses of loft space as the lounge is the only room with a vaulted ceiling consequently there is loft space above the rest of the house. They do let the heat in but we live in the very North so never that much heat! We have masses of insulation in the roof so we don’t have a problem loosing heat in the winter. We have underfloor heating so the air circulates. We installed self cleaning glass so they stay clean.

coast35 Sun 15-Sep-19 10:33:03

We had a roof put on our conservatory a couple of years ago. It was always too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Problem solved a lovely space that is in. Instant use year rou;d.

coast35 Sun 15-Sep-19 10:33:50

In constant. Blooming auto correct.

Mcbab Sun 15-Sep-19 10:41:27

We have 3 sky lights in our extension built 12 years ago. One of the best decisions we ever made was to have them (and the blinds) electricity operated. At the time we didn’t realise this as a ‘best decision’ but many times over have been so glad that we spent the extra cash for this option. Plenty of fresh air get in with them open, depending on the day it may be all or just one. The light is brilliant and that was the thing that was my main worry, building an extension that would be gloomy. An added bonus is that they close automatically when it starts to rain so I can dash out to the line and save my washing!! I use an extendable cobweb brush to keep the inside cobweb free and my window cleaner does the outside on his ‘not very often!’ Visits

Janecan Sun 15-Sep-19 10:57:05

Hello Girls.
I'm thinking of having an extension on the side of my house. At the moment I have a lovely bay window which lets the light in my kitchen . It's not the only window I have I have another two. I'm hoping to have a square extension with a front window and bi folding doors at the back looking into my garden. No skylight. Has anyone done this and also does anyone prefare the patio doors to bi fold. I just need a bit of advice to steer me on the right path.
Happy Sunday to you all xx

patpat1 Sun 15-Sep-19 10:59:47

Has anyone had a sun tube/light tube installed? We have a bungalow with a very dark internal hall. This hall is the size of a room and is used as a dining room for family gatherings, but needs the light on all year!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:04:27

I'm sure it wasn't a bit funny at the time, GrannyGravy, but I am sitting here practically wetting myself with laughter, sorry!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:17:29

grandtanteJE65, I don't blame you we find it funny in hindsight ????

Tigertooth Sun 15-Sep-19 11:51:06

Trifold
I love mine, the don’t take up much floor space and it’s like taking our dining room wall down on a summers day - great for entertaining in the garden.
Skylights - Don’t have any downstairs but I love love love the sound of the rain on our upstairs landing skylight.

Van-Nan Sun 15-Sep-19 12:18:42

We thought long and hard about skylights. We demolished a west facing UPVC conservatory and built an extension onto our kitchen/diner, with bifolds instead. There’s a tiled, vaulted roof. Our trusty builder recommended us not to have skylights to reduce sun exposure. He was right! Bifolds have sun-proof glass and with the insulation, the room is neither freezing nor boiling. It’s such a massive improvement from the virtually unusable conservatory that it replaced. No need for any blinds. Am thoroughly enjoying my garden view. We now spend most of our relaxing time in the new extension. I’m also glad that we had a separate door put into the side of the extension - which we use for access into the garden far more than the bifolds.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 15-Sep-19 12:31:48

Janecan
Having learned the hard way , errors. in the past over home
improvements, know what you have in mind, go to those who can carry out the work get your quotes then ask around and find out who has had what you want and their opinions /advice.

Madmaggie Sun 15-Sep-19 15:44:33

I wouldn't be without my conservatory. it was here when we moved in, it does get very hot in summer but there's a ceiling fan & blinds. I just love the sound of the rain on the roof and there's a built in wall heater for cooler days. I just wish they'd built it bigger! My husband who was most emphatic about a conservatory not being on his list of must haves when we were viewing has now claimed it for his favourite reading spot ?

mrswoo Sun 15-Sep-19 15:50:57

When we lived in a top floor flat on the west coast of Scotland we had a huge skylight in the hall which would otherwise have been a bit dark. Unfortunately, it seemed that every seagull for miles enjoyed “tap dancing” on it. It was funny to look up to see their big fat feet stomping away on the glass .... our two Jack Russells were less amused and used to sit beneath the it howling in outrage at them.

SynchroSwimmer Sun 15-Sep-19 16:34:42

I did accidentally find an easy way of cleaning the outside of my (ground floor) skylights - using one of those square velcro type plastic floor mops that has a pad attached...

lindadoughty650 Sun 15-Sep-19 17:24:15

We had a conservatory on our B&B which attracted birds as a dance floor. Also had a beautiful ginger cat who took umbrage at all these birds and regularly went up there to scare them off. Of course he never caught one and it was a pointless exercise. One morning he decided to "mark" his territory by doing a big poo in the middle. The guests having their breakfasts below had a variety of reactions - most of them had been laughingly watching his antics before he made his decision.

Purpledaffodil Sun 15-Sep-19 17:56:48

Had a conservatory built this year and love it! Glass roof so we can see the sky and stars at night, north facing so no need for blinds. Friend tells me that a sail works well, put it up in the summer for shade and wash and put away for the rest of the year.
We went down bifold v patio doors v French doors route for another extension and opted for patio doors that open in the middle. Much cheaper than bifold doors and don’t bang in the breeze like French doors can.

Janecan Sun 15-Sep-19 18:39:02

Thankyou Sarah. I've been looking around at other people's. I won't start till I know exactly what I want that's why I was asking for advice x

Hetty58 Sun 15-Sep-19 19:36:59

Patpat1, as I mentioned (further up the thread) I have light/sun tubes. They work very well and make a real difference on the landing. When the house was extended, it lost a window there so they compensate nicely.

Luckynan Sun 15-Sep-19 21:14:20

Patpat1 I have 2 sun/light tubes fitted in my kitchen. They make such a difference to the brightness of the room. I would definitely recommend them, you won’t regret it.

BradfordLass72 Sun 15-Sep-19 21:41:42

I realise your post is lighthearted but there are some solutions - and maybe you've thought of them - but here goes anyway....

I'm surprised that whoever put them in for you, didn't sugges double hnges. These allow you the option of opening them inwards (or downwards) for easy cleaning. And opening outwards to catch what breeze there might be.

A through draught ought to keep you cool - along with thermal curtains.

One of my friends has a gorgeous open-plan rammed-earth house with windows like that and although he does have to climb a step ladder, it's comparatively easy.

Vaulted ceilings can be insulated without losing their beauty.

with no insulting space I bet there is when you're cleaning those windows!! grin

Paperbackwriter Sun 15-Sep-19 22:16:33

I have a slanted glass roof on my kitchen and absolutely love it. The sight of the morning sky above gives me such great delight after the previous closed-in kitchen we had before it was all extended and the roof replaced. I'm reminded how gloomy it was before only when it snows and a thick layer of the stuff makes the house feel gloomy and grey. (The roof is triple-glazed - the stuff isn't going to melt in a hurry!)

Shropshirelass Tue 17-Sep-19 08:16:05

We used to have a glass roof on our conservatory but it got too hot to sit in, we extended the conservatory and put a tiled roof on and underfloor heating, we now have a gorgeous garden room that we can use all year round. Money well spent.

notanan2 Tue 17-Sep-19 22:34:25

Would it be a terrible de-rail of the thread to add spotlights to the rant:

The bulbs NEVER go at the same time. You give up trying to have them all working at the same time. End up making do as they go one by one until its half dark