Gransnet forums

Chat

HMRC

(81 Posts)
Lizzies Sat 14-Sep-19 12:27:55

This could be my last post as I might be arrested at any moment. I just received an automated call that said that there was a fraud investigation into me and if I didn’t press 1 to speak to an officer at HMRC a warrant would be issued for my arrest. I did not press 1.

BusterTank Sun 15-Sep-19 09:37:18

I wouldn't worry we have all had them and we are not in jail . It's just another scam for someone else to get there hands on your money .

JohnD Sun 15-Sep-19 09:39:01

Lizzies, you did the right thing. Just hang up. HMRC never phone, they always communicate by mail.

Fairydoll2030 Sun 15-Sep-19 09:55:00

Yep, had messages left on my answerphone from ‘HMRC’ regarding an imminent arrest.

Today had email from so-called TV Licensing informing me my licence expires at midnight. I must pay online! Very suspicious sender address and email content. I pay my tv licence by DD anyway!

Email requires personal details including mother’s Maiden name - which is a typical bank/credit card security question.

Grans everywhere beware!

Fairydoll2030 Sun 15-Sep-19 09:57:31

YouTube has some funny videos regarding tax scams both here and USA. Just search for HMRC tax scam

Saggi Sun 15-Sep-19 09:59:44

Welcome to the club ....I got one about a month ago...don’t press 1 anybody...some sort if scam!

StMary Sun 15-Sep-19 10:00:54

Us too had loads of Bt telephone calls , We say just a minute while i get a pen and paper , put the phone near the music channel , 2 minutes they shout hello or down goes the phone .Only in April i received a Email saying you haven't paid your TV licence ,if you don't pay , we are sending Bailiffs round ..Lucky i'd had just paid the Tv licence a week or so before and we had moved , i wrote back and said I'm sorry for your Bailiffs calling to my old address and missing me .. I was miles away .. They wrote back and said .. there on their way to your new address ..ha ha ..Still waiting . I did contact Bt and Tv licence , they were aware of all these troubles .

Flowerofthewest Sun 15-Sep-19 10:04:02

It's a hoax of the worst kind. My friend was terrified.

Nanniejc1 Sun 15-Sep-19 10:04:06

It’s a great pity that the people who are involved in these scams can’t be found,arrested & thrown into prison.They always seem to target older people & sometimes the elderly are taken in by these fraudsters .It is a constant stream ,sometimes two or three times a day.

Angeleyes58xx Sun 15-Sep-19 10:04:08

It’s a scam that’s going around, please don’t ring there numbers or give your bank details or any information about yourself to them. Just put the phone down and ignore it.

pamdixon Sun 15-Sep-19 10:04:21

its like the call from people telling you about the 'accident' you've had recently. Must remember to be quick witted enough, next time, to ask them which accident they are referring to as I've had so many............. Ditto the BT calls - I don't have my internet with BT, yet I get weekly calls threatening to cut me off. Or what about the man who was doing a 'survey' and asked to speak to me, and I said I was out and he said 'you'll do' and I said what do you mean................too many of these annoying people around making stupid calls.

Anneishere Sun 15-Sep-19 10:07:57

This happened to me yesterday - something about someone using my details regarding tax fraud and to press 1 to be put through Fraud Investigation Team - I deleted immediately- these people really do annoy me - I kept their number and reporting it as scam - I worry for people’s le who fall for this type of scam which is understandable at times angry

TanaMa Sun 15-Sep-19 10:10:46

I have had more than one from the supposed HMRC and reported the number to the local police (who published details in the local media outlets) and Fraud Squad. Have also had the BT scam call. When I went on a 'proper' BT number to report it as I am not even a BT customer, their response was very negative and unhelpful. Made me glad I wasn't with BT.

grannyJillyT Sun 15-Sep-19 10:17:04

I got one too last week. I reported it to HMRC they were grateful.

jpren6 Sun 15-Sep-19 10:21:24

i am so fed up of all these scam messages i do not answer land line until someone speaks

eilys Sun 15-Sep-19 10:24:15

Had 3 of these calls, at least we won’t need a tv licence while serving our sentence

sunseeker Sun 15-Sep-19 10:37:06

It's a shame that most of these scams are pre-recorded, it means we can no longer play jokes on them.

One friend tells them they have called a crime scene, their number has been traced and they are to remain where they are until a police officer arrives to take a statement.

Someone posted on social media that when receiving one of these calls from a real person, ask for a password, when they obviously can't give one press 3 buttons at random on the phone and say "security breach on line 4" Apparently they hang up very quickly!

Greciangirl Sun 15-Sep-19 10:39:48

I had one the other day. I get really get fed up of it, so on this particular occasion I was woken up from my afternoon nap.
I was so furious that I told him to b.....r of and put the phone down.

A few days later, I got another one. It must have been the same person because he said “not very nice to bugger of” in that very foreign accent. I was so shocked I said “what” and put the phone down right away. I thought what a cheek phoning me again.

It was the old computer scam though. Not Hmrc.

HurdyGurdy Sun 15-Sep-19 10:50:02

If they're as inefficient as the FBI, I think you're safe Lizzies.

My automated call from about six years ago, advised me that the FBI were coming to execute a warrant if I didn't pay the money I owed.

I didn't pay, and I'm still waiting for them to come a-knocking.

Candelle Sun 15-Sep-19 10:50:51

It's a miracle - my computer IS working!

We have several calls each week assuring us that ours isn't....

If there is a a person on the end of the line (and not a 'press 1' - for a £6,000 telephone bill, message) I ask if their mother knows what they do for a living, say goodbye and hang up.

I do understand that in their countries, their job is probably prestigious and well paid but do they not have a conscience?

tiredoldwoman Sun 15-Sep-19 10:59:45

I got the TV Licence one again this morning .

grandtanteJE65 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:13:44

Frankly, with all the technology we have these days, I imagine it is perfectly possible for phone companies to stop all these nuisance calls, but as it doesn't pay for them to do so, they are not going to do anything about it.

Those of us who are still mentally acute know not to answer these calls or reply to dubious e-mails, but there are loads of vulnerable people of all ages who are not being protected.

I don't believe for a moment that running scams is a prestigious job generally speaking in any country, but there will always be those with a lack of moral fibre when it comes to making money fast.

Tigertooth Sun 15-Sep-19 12:11:02

My husband got such a good scammer demanding £1000. He’d made a charity donation of £500 two years before, as a local business, to a SEN school near us. This man somehow knew that and said that my husband had signed up to donate it yearly (he hadn’t) and that £1000 was now owed and that he was on his way to my husbands business premises to seize goods unless he paid him £1000 immediately.
I spoke to him as well - he was so convincing! We did a quick google of what he was saying and it came up as a scam.
We told him where to go but it does un-nerve you and he went in to work on a Saturday just in case! Of course the man never came.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 15-Sep-19 12:13:16

So many scams going around at the moment, Feel sorry for ppl that are getting them and are fooled into believing they are genuine, watching watchdog last week made my blood run cold and was furious with the rogue trader that was continually asking the elderly lady for more n more money, so many con artists out there.

HurdyGurdy Sun 15-Sep-19 13:37:52

Tigertooth - If I had been in that situation, I would have gtovelled profusely, and said I would go and get the cash and they could come and collect it at a particular time.

I'd then have got onto the police and told them that a scammer was going to be at my address at that time, to collect money they were not entitled to, and let the police come and do their thing.

glammanana Sun 15-Sep-19 13:59:10

There must be some way to stop these horrible people doing what they do.
GG54 A lot of older people have their laptops/tablets etc for company and may not be fully aware of the scams that are operating on line,they are older people who will be taken in by a voice of authority and then easily duped.
We have had 3/4 scam telephone calls just this past week from a BT rep his name is Matthew/Daniel/Nathan/Peter I wonder who we will get next week ?