Gransnet forums

Chat

Daftest 'forgetful' moment

(65 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Sep-19 08:31:16

You know how leeks can get soil between the layers?

I chopped and washed mine, sauteed them in a little butter with a couple of twists of black pepper - this to make leek sauce.

The phone rang and I spent 5 mins talking to a friend.

When I came back to the leek pan I saw all this dirt amongst the leeks. sad
With a huge sigh I washed it all off and started again - only to remember - but too late - it wasn't soil, it was black pepper.

What's your daftest 'forgetful moment'?

Hetty58 Fri 20-Sep-19 11:03:59

I was really tired one morning. Nevertheless, I dragged myself out to get a few things at the local shop. I got home, had a cup of tea, then wondered where the dog was - tied up outside the shop, of course - oh, the panic and how fast I ran back to get her!

GagaJo Fri 20-Sep-19 11:08:14

Talking to my bloke, in the middle of the sentence, TOTALLY without my knowledge, I inserted the phrase, 'blowjob'. Wondered why he was in fits of laughter.

I'm a teacher. Please god it doesn't happen in class! I'd have no control again, EVERY.

Witzend Fri 20-Sep-19 11:17:37

When she was no more than 10 days old I left dd1 in her pram in Boots, having completely forgotten that I had a baby.

Luckily I was meeting my mother soon afterwards - her horrified, 'Where's the baby??' soon reminded me!
Thank goodness, no harm done, she was still sleeping peacefully and nobody had twigged.

LondonGranny Fri 20-Sep-19 11:22:54

Not knowing who my BiL was but vaguely recognising him. In my defence he was in the wrong context at the time, if you see what I mean.

Foxyferret Fri 20-Sep-19 11:35:11

Getting ready for a wedding, I sprayed my hair with pledge. Quite appropriate when you think about it.

trendygran Fri 20-Sep-19 11:40:49

I wondered why I couldn’t get cash out of an ATM and then realised I had put in my coffee card from a well known chain,instead of my bank card -both red! 0h dear!

Witzend Fri 20-Sep-19 11:41:00

Ha, Foxyferret, I remember my mother once doing exactly the same. At the time she was being driven to distraction by her mother, who had dementia and was staying with her.

sunseeker Fri 20-Sep-19 12:01:12

Witzend Apparently my mother did that with me. She left me in my pushchair outside a bakers shop, got the bus home and it wasn't until she walked in the house and Dad asked where I was that she remembered. When she got back to the shop I had been taken inside by the women serving there and was happily munching on a doughnut!

GrandmasueUK Fri 20-Sep-19 12:08:35

The first day I was home alone with my new baby son I forgot his name, the one I had chosen! I knew it began with A, so I went through them all, "Hello baby Andrew, Arthur, Allan ..." none sounded right and I realised one of the congratulation cards had his name on it, so had to go and read them until I found it!

A couple of years ago, I also introduced him to my art tutor "This is my brother and his wife - no it's my son!"

When I walked home from the school where I taught, I left my daughter sitting waiting patiently for me. My mum was staying that night and I thought she had picked her up. We spent 5 minutes looking for her, both thinking that she was playing Hide and Seek and playing along with it, until I realised my mum didn't actually know where she was. Phone call to school and mad dash to collect her!

sodapop Fri 20-Sep-19 12:14:20

That happens to me all the time Londongranny if I see people out of the context I know them my mind is blank. I know the face but can't place them at all. I have a conversation hoping they will give me a clue - so embarrassing.

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Sep-19 12:18:00

Put half a lemon in kettle and boiled it to clean element. Left it overnight to work and put sticky note on top to remind me.
Next morning made coffee and drank deeply before realising...cough splutter ???
Note had fluttered into sink as window open. ?

SusieB50 Fri 20-Sep-19 12:37:22

Last week I scanned in my waitrose card to self scan my shopping and pack it into the bags thus saving time .I then proceeded not to put the shopping in the bags , as if I was going to the checkout counter . Didn't realise till I was nearly finished !

RosesAreRed21 Fri 20-Sep-19 13:03:21

Not mine daft moment but my dads. On my wedding day to second hubby my dad gave us a card with to Sarah and Derek, only problem was Derek was my first husbands name - we all did have a laugh about it - simply remedy - Dad just scribbled out Derek and put in hubby’s name. We will talk about it 20 years later.

lindiann Fri 20-Sep-19 13:07:34

I turned up at work one morning with odd shoes didn't notice until someone pointed it out caused some comments especially the lady who said that is nothing I turned up without knickers one day smile

Tris68 Fri 20-Sep-19 13:14:56

Fetish tyre ???

Jane10 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:00:37

I thought I'd gone suddenly blind in the shower one day - what a relief to discover I was still wearing my glasses now coated with soapy suds!

Notsooldat75 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:25:07

I went into a local shop and wondered why it was so dark, groped my way around the shelves, thinking maybe there was a power cut.
Got to the checkout and realised I had my sunglasses on.

MamaCaz Fri 20-Sep-19 15:17:39

I made my dad a cup of tea when he was staying the weekend with us.
You should have seen his face when he took a sip - I'd forgotten to turn the kettle on, so the tea was cold!

MamaCaz Fri 20-Sep-19 15:20:01

Oh yes, and I'm another who left my first-born behind in a shop, Woolworths in Worcester, in my case.

PageTurner Fri 20-Sep-19 15:39:32

I think this is an indication that we all have too much on our minds and do a lot of ordinary day to day tasks without even thinking about it.
I spend an inordinate amount of time each day looking for my outdoor shoes, keys and reading glasses?

Merryweather Fri 20-Sep-19 15:40:54

This week I have so far-

Dropped my girls to school wearing my slippers. Twice.
Put the car keys in the fridge.
Dropped all my tablets all over the floor and bed. There’s 23 of them!
Put my knickers on not only backwards but inside out!

There’s no hope. I’m expecting the arrival of a straight jacket anytime.

coast35 Fri 20-Sep-19 15:51:02

I once went to an important meeting with the big bosses. I happened to glance down to find that I had a black shoe and a navy shoe on!

Ladyf Fri 20-Sep-19 16:19:40

Thoroughly enjoyed the posts here. Have been laughing out loud.

Willow500 Fri 20-Sep-19 17:45:25

I left the hatch back open on my brand new Tigra years ago and drove it into the garage - that was a very big bang and a very big repair bill! I'd only had it a day!!

My dad parked his car to go to the post office again years ago - he came out to find it had gone! Panicked he went to a phone box and rang the police to say it had been stolen. While he was waiting for them to come out he suddenly remembered he'd parked it in another street so sneaked off and went home grin

Just yesterday my husband was trying to tell me the cat was on the bed but couldn't get out which side - it came out as she's on the passenger side grin

Wheniwasyourage Fri 20-Sep-19 18:45:20

I've done the person-out-of-context one. Someone I know fairly well and whom I often see working at the gym was in a shop and we were chatting about this and that while we were waiting. "Where is it you work, Jane?" I asked, and wondered why she was giving me such a funny look... blush