Gransnet forums

Chat

What I did today

(440 Posts)
annsixty Sun 22-Sep-19 19:14:33

This was a very popular thread a few years ago and I thought I would revive it.
We welcome happy days, sad days and even slightly boasting days , every thing that has happened is very welcome.
I said when I mentioned that I might start this thread that my own life was very boring, getting up, eating, GN and going to bed.
How things change.
My 20 year old eldest GC has moved in with me, totally unexpectedly.
She has had a somewhat troubled life which I won’t go into but she is my best friend, the most supportive of my family with my H , she adored her GD and was my best help when he died.
I am somewhat overwhelmed by today’s events but so happy she has chosen to be with me.
To get to the mundane, we have had a lovely roast pork dinner with all the trimmings and I am now enjoying a glass of red before I go and sort the kitchen out.

Urmstongran Mon 23-Sep-19 20:41:50

Oh

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S to everyone in the Gravy family❗️

??? ??

dragonfly46 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:34:06

Waited in this morning for the doctor to ring my DH re his medication. Half an hour after the appointed time we realised I had made the appointment for next Monday.

We still had time to go out and order some new sofas. Very exciting.

Came home too late for the Carer’s meeting.

Congratulations again GrannyG.

LondonGranny Mon 23-Sep-19 21:43:31

I'll leave out the housework and faffing about online bits but I made bread after a bath in the morning and did fair bit of felting (always good if I'm in a stabby mood!)

Listened to a podcast while I chose & sewed on a fancy button from my granny's button tin onto my favourite dress. The button already on the pocket was OK but a bit boring.

Had a lovely lunch of crusty bread, cheese and salad with DH.

Took painkiller & lay flat with knees propped because my back was bad and listened to another podcast.

Felted some lavender soap (the non-stabby sort of felting this time!) for a friend.

Mended fridge handle door with epoxy putty.

Listened to news and got cross and did some more stabby felting.

Thought vaguely about what to cook for tea.

Made a pea soup to have with crusty bread. Put chopped onion in pan with frozen peas with enough water to cover and a veg stock cube. Cook the peas, and grab stick blender. Blend. Serve.

Skyped friend in Germany.

Pottered about. Made 'To Do' list for tomorrow. More pottering.

Grammaretto Mon 23-Sep-19 22:11:22

Congratulations Gravies!!! Wonderful news.
I enjoyed my GN day out.
I'm tired now. Good Night. xxx

rubysong Mon 23-Sep-19 23:18:07

A bit of housework first (bathroom and kitchen), put on two loads of washing. After lunch I made two WI phone calls (I am the secretary) then I nipped down to the village hall to pick up our WI banner to take to an event on Saturday. Then I did some sewing. I am making a patchwork quilt for the new grandbaby due in November, also cushion covers for the garden bench cushions. Then I sewed up a fluffy sofa throw to make a beach cover up. DH cooked us steak and chips for tea, which was delicious. In the evening it was practice night for the community choir. Next had a shower and got things ready for tomorrow, looking after DGD.

KatyK Tue 24-Sep-19 15:37:48

Bad day yesterday. Better day today despite torrential rain. I've been for a lovely lunch with a friend. Also had a visit to Aldi and a nice walk back.

Newquay Tue 24-Sep-19 17:40:13

Unusually had a lazy, tired day. Done v little, just couldn’t work up the energy to go to chat in French-it was pouring with rain. Watched old episodes of Downton. Stopped raining now so going for a stroll-what a lovely thread

cornergran Tue 24-Sep-19 17:59:08

Disturbed night with a sore throat but used the time to finish my book so not all bad. Spent a frustrating morning chasing up information on care services for a friend about to be discharged from hospital. I got the information, I’m saddened but not surprised and know her family wont be happy. Had a really helpful physio appointment so now in much less discomfort. Sore throat has become a full on runny, headachey cold so I’m soon off to bed. Funny old day but not all bad.

SynchroSwimmer Tue 24-Sep-19 18:28:15

Am I allowed a micro-boast about my Saturday instead please?
(As it was way more memorable and exciting than today)

I did a power-walk to the beach on holiday in Croatia and spent the morning naked swimming and lounging at will.

After lunch I launched a Dart Catamaran and sailed it single handed on the sea (the humorous and boastful bit....I loved seeing all the men lined up at the launching station looking on enviously - as though the catamarans were like high-end sports cars or something - but they were all too scared to get in and actually have a go themselves... (Also secretly peeked at them all staring at me as I came back in to dry land....me pretending to look competent, when I am not) ?

Finally I did a 1 hour dynamic and dramatic synchronised swimming display in the 50 metre pool, all the more dynamic because of the loud music playing through my earphones on a waterproof music player - and easy to synchronise as it was a solo swimming display! ?

Now back home and all my joints have seized up...

harrigran Tue 24-Sep-19 20:19:37

Went into town to look at mattresses before ordering online, when we arrived at the shop their was a notice to say it was closed and if you were awaiting deliveries wait to be contacted.
Company folded without warning but sadly still taking orders online, we very nearly made a very expensive mistake.
The company had been going for thirty years.

MiniMoon Tue 24-Sep-19 20:32:03

Today I did some light housework. Answered scam phone calls five times!
Made lunch for DH and I, then WE called to ask if grandson no 2 could come for a sleepover. Here he is, eating me out of house and home. Bedtime soon, he has autism so takes melatonin to aid his sleep.
I shall have to go to bed when he does, as he rises very early. I love having him, he's delightful.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-Sep-19 20:43:01

We had GD all day, picked up GS from school, dropped GS off at his Mums work (our DD) and then took GD to see Mummy & her baby brother in hospital. We had our first cuddle, DIL is on the mend, but no discharge details yet.
Early bed as Granny is shattered!!!

Sar53 Tue 24-Sep-19 21:00:13

What a lovely thread this is.
I seem to have spent most of today at the doctors surgery. I had an appointment at lunchtime for a blood pressure check. My pressure was sky high, the highest it's ever been. The nurse took it five times and it didn't reduce. She asked me to sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes and then took it again, no change. They made me an appointment to see a doctor at 4.30. Again it was very high so he has suggested I need to reduce/stop my HRT. I'm going to halve my dose and start taking another tablet for my blood pressure. It's all a bit scary at the moment.
We had a couple of hours with a step grandson, he is 6 today so we had birthday cake and a glass of bubbly. Just about to start watching 'The Capture.

Urmstongran Tue 24-Sep-19 21:23:17

Nice one SynchroSwimmer! Of course you are allowed to strut your stuff & boast. If you’ve got it, flaunt it lady! A little bit of pride in what you do well is allowed.
?

My day went well. Made the SOAP dish for dinner which we thoroughly enjoyed after 2 pints (Mr.Urm) and 2 wines (me) in a local bar on the way home after taking the gorgeous boy (7y) to his swimming lesson. Since when did 2 drinks each in a bar cost £23? A sign of the times.

I’m eating a ‘Bounty’ bar now.

I have no willpower ....

annsixty Tue 24-Sep-19 22:18:09

Had a much brighter day today.
My neighbour who has not been driving for nearly 4 months because of a back problem is flexing her wings ,so asked if I would like to go to out of town shopping where there is a decent sized M&S , large Tesco , Boots and a large Next.
We went at 11 and pottered, I took back a jacket I bought 3 weeks ago that I liked but knew I would get very little wear out of.
Did a small food shop and then we treated ourselves to a pub lunch.
Scampi for her, and a very large club sandwich for me.
So large I had half of it packed up and ate it for my tea.
Then this evening I went to a friend’s house, she picked me up, we had a few glasses of red , put the world and our families to rights and then I got a taxi home.
A very satisfactory day, I am now very tired and should sleep well.

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 22:30:17

Well my today was ....
Breakfast cafe for the 3 older DGC, then school runs.
“That bleedin’ place” for 3 hours then taking my dad for his shopping , prescriptions etc.
Then a call from my DGS’s primary to say he was poorly and needed picking up ASAP.
Picked up DGS who looked quite poorly in the car back to mine .
Made a comfy bed on the settee for him and found something nice to watch on TV at which point he said “grandma, can I have one of your special tuna and sweet corn sandwiches and a cut up apple and some crisps and juice please ?”
“ Blimey I thought you were poorly ?” “Oh yes I am grandma”
DGS was picked up by DS who said “ oh dear I don’t think we can have our kick around on the field tonight if you are poorly”
“I’m a lot better now daddy”

Kids !

DH and I watched my favourite Yorkshire vet on TV then he sparked out . Here I am , Gilly no mates. Another end to another thrilling day smile

dragonfly46 Tue 24-Sep-19 22:32:04

Sorry to hear about your trials at the doctor sar.
What a lovely day you had ann, days like that keep us going.

I dithered about going to the hospital today to get my surgery looked at. It is optional and they have a clinic every Tuesday and Friday. With persuasion I rang to make an appointment to find it was this morning so had to cancel my hair appointment. All is going well so it was worth going. For some reason the trip wore me out so spent the rest of the afternoon in bed!

jacq10 Tue 24-Sep-19 23:23:00

This has been a great thread for me to read. Was going to have a fairly early night (before 11 o'clock) and found this. I'm living on my own for the first time in the 50 yrs as DH passed away at the end of November last year. I have friends (mainly old school friends who are also widows) and family nearby including DGS who I collect most days from school and do his homework with him or take him to his activities. I have not long returned from a week long trip to the Outer Hebrides which was wonderful so as you can see I can fill my days but it still all feels strange to be on my own. I have enjoyed reading these posts about the way you pass your days and how different people's outlooks are on lives. I must say I am amazed at how busy and involved people are and think I must make more of an effort. Most of my friends are involved with volunteering and it seems to be a very sociable thing. Basically I'm happy with my own company - DH was the outgoing one of the two of us and I'm happy in the house filled with memories.

Marydoll Tue 24-Sep-19 23:52:34

jacq10, it's so nice to see you posting again.
I have happy memories of meeting you at the Glesca Grannies meet up and the huge effort you made to come to Glasgow. smile

jacq10 Wed 25-Sep-19 00:04:30

Thanks, Marydoll it was early days after DH had passed away and it was hard to get out and about on my own. I was trying to get over to my family that I would be fine and although it took a bit of effort it was so good to meet you and the others and enjoy your company. When I read of your "mishaps" on here I feel I have the advantage of knowing you and how you cope with them (always with a sense of humour!!). I must say Gransnet has been a godsend for me but bang goes my intention of having an early night (again!)

grannyactivist Wed 25-Sep-19 00:18:26

I have walked the dog four times today and got drenched twice.

I've been working from home as I'm still unwell , so I have spent hours and hours and hours on the phone to various NHS/government departments, but only actually got through on half of the calls. The rest of my time was filled with writing emails, doing admin and making phone calls - all whilst having a wracking cough.

Early this evening my youngest son called and told me he was on his way over to spend the night with me, which made me feel very cared for (my husband works away from home) - and then I found a hand delivered card on the doormat that had get well messages from all my colleagues and clients.

Son had an early night as he has an hour's drive home in the morning before work and I've just spent a happy hour doing some family history research on behalf of a fellow Gransnetter. Now I'm off to bed to spend the night coughing!

I should say that alongside the day's activity I have been a news junkie - avidly following the day's events in the UK and America.

BradfordLass72 Wed 25-Sep-19 03:53:39

Welcome dear BabyGravy and thank you SynchroSwimmer for a lovely lift. I really needed both.

Kamal died on Monday night so as Muslims must bury within 24 hours, that and visits to the mosque all had to be borne.
Often harrowing, sometimes interesting, always deeply sad.

The funeral (the reverse of what we do in the west) is today and tomorrow.

I shall be attending both with, probably, the whole Kurdish community.

A week of late nights and sorrowful 24 hour vigils (not to mention being away from my own bed) are taking their toll on my health but it's not forever and it's also a great privilege to be invited to support and help at such a very personal time.

I shall possibly sleep all weekend!!

annsixty Wed 25-Sep-19 09:12:34

Hi Jacq10 and welcome.
I have total empathy with you.
My H died in April after 60 years of marriage, although I lost him to Alzheimer’s some years before that.
No-one realises just how lonely life is without them until it happens.
Please keep up with us as often as you can.
Condolences BradfordLass although I don’t know the story of Kamal. I must have missed your posts about him.

henetha Wed 25-Sep-19 10:42:22

Routine day yesterday, shopping etc. Today I'm going to a farm cafe on Dartmoor with a friend for coffee and chat.

Anniebach Wed 25-Sep-19 10:50:46

May I share yesterday? I have three sisters and they live locally. I have not had contact with them for 2 years 7 months. Yesterday my favourite sister phoned me , we chatted and laughed , no mention of the rift, it was as it always was .