Gransnet forums

Chat

What I did today

(440 Posts)
annsixty Sun 22-Sep-19 19:14:33

This was a very popular thread a few years ago and I thought I would revive it.
We welcome happy days, sad days and even slightly boasting days , every thing that has happened is very welcome.
I said when I mentioned that I might start this thread that my own life was very boring, getting up, eating, GN and going to bed.
How things change.
My 20 year old eldest GC has moved in with me, totally unexpectedly.
She has had a somewhat troubled life which I won’t go into but she is my best friend, the most supportive of my family with my H , she adored her GD and was my best help when he died.
I am somewhat overwhelmed by today’s events but so happy she has chosen to be with me.
To get to the mundane, we have had a lovely roast pork dinner with all the trimmings and I am now enjoying a glass of red before I go and sort the kitchen out.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Oct-19 22:15:47

Busy! Made a meal for ourselves, plated one up for my father who had his first cataract done yesterday and 2 for daughter and son in law. Called in to pick up prescription from chemist as off to Spain tomorrow for six weeks.

Then off to the library and finally took 7y old grandson for his swimming lesson and a couple of well deserved drinks in a local bar - off to bed now, alarm set for 7am (just in case!).

Nanight everyone. x

Alexa Tue 29-Oct-19 22:23:59

T took my dog fora walk and got my mobility scooter stuck with the wheels digging a muddy rut in the middel of a field..

Marmight Tue 29-Oct-19 23:09:07

Drove home from Devon today where I’ve been on Granny duty for a few days. Pretty chaotic so happy to be home! After 2 wild, stormy days, we had a long walk on the beach on Sunday in glorious weather (photo attached). I took the dgc’s bowling yesterday followed by lunch (pizza) and then to see Maleficent, Mistress of Evil which was surprisingly good despite its title! While there I viewed 3 properties. Thinking of relocating after only 2 years since I downsized radically and moved 400 miles south. Sadly I am not ‘procedable’ and the one house I loved was under offer the very next day. So, I have to decide whether to get my house on the market so I’m ready to jump, but I have to be sure I am doing it for the right reasons.

MiniMoon Tue 29-Oct-19 23:16:13

I did a whole pile of washing this morning, and then made mushroom soup.
DH and I had lunch and enjoyed said soup.
I ordered a Lego set for GS1 Christmas present.
I finished off the mittens that are to go with a hat for GS3. See photo. Sorry they are upside down.
Went out at 9pm so that DD and SiL could go to Tesco for party food as GS3 is 7 tomorrow.

Rufus2 Wed 30-Oct-19 03:48:35

Alexa; That's terrible! Had it been raining? Presumably there was a spare tractor around to drag you out.!? As you probably don't know, I now have an electric mobility scooter (Freda, no relation to Ann's Fred!) covered by an RAC roadside assistance breakdown policy.
In your situation it would even cover helicopter assist. to recover us from the mud!
Happy scootering! grin

BradfordLass72 Wed 30-Oct-19 05:20:11

took 7y old grandson for his swimming lesson and a couple of well deserved drinks in a local bar Starting him on the grog early Urmstongran ? grin

Alexa how frustrating - did the dogs pull you out like huskies?

MiniMoon Not upside down, that's how GS3 will wear them - unless he's a surgeon and has to hold his hands up grin

Blimey Rufus I bet you're like a pirate on your Freda !

I went to CMA - a social group for elderly and handicapped persons this morning - picked up at 9am.

Talked to an old friend (a carer) I hadn't seen for ages.

Pulled apart all the new innovations now surrounding those in full-time care. Designed to help them live as normal a life as possible - a good thing of course, but with such stupid rules, that this proves impossible. To the frustration of all concerned.

Came home and roasted a bit of pumpkin, a carrot and some potatoes (all brushed with oil and garlic) for my tea.

Spent the rest of my time battling a complicated computer program which, if I could get it to work, would tweak the reg. edit files, to allow the drop-down menus and much else, to be in bold font. It didn't work first time so I'll fight it try again tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

It's vital, as I am coming to the stage where I will not be able to use my computer at all if I can't find a workaround.

Microsoft, in their "wisdom" have taken all the tweaks (which formerly helped people with visual impairment) out of Win 10.

Others are rapidly writing new progs, hence this thing I'm trying to use. Ironically, it's written in the tiniest, lightest font you could imagine!! grin

Urmstongran Wed 30-Oct-19 06:00:23

Well spotted BradfordLass! Oops!!
??

Callistemon Wed 30-Oct-19 10:28:55

Urmstongran we took the DGD to a pub yesterday too! We ate as well as having well-deserved drinks then had a walk along the seafront (it was very chilly).

Today I need to sort out my clothes, put away the summer ones and go through the winter clothes to see what should be thrown out and what is wearable.
But I am procrastinating on here.

BradfordLass72 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:38:36

When we lived in Cornwall, I often took the boys for a summer pastie in a pub and sat outside with my shandy. Happy days.

You can't do that here, 'pubs' as we know them in the UK, simply don't exist.

I have had a strangely unco-ordinated day.

I expected to be picked up to go to the elders' group but wasn't (no room on the community van I would guess) but my disappointment was short lived.

At 10:30 was overcome by a huge wave of tiredness and felt very cold and sick so went back to bed. Slept until 1pm!

Got up and had swede, broccoli, cauliflower and white sauce then tried to work out a program which, theoritically, will allow me to change all the ordinary text on my computer to bold. It didn't work. sad

By 3pm I was again, unnaturally exhausted with pains in my tum - so yet again, went back to bed.

On the thread which talks about luxuries, I should have put that - the luxury which allows me to sleep when I need to.

Up again on this jack-in-a-box day, to clean the kitchen and drink two big mugs of rooibos tea.

I have been swigging water copiously all day. Couldn't face eating anything sensible but scooped a teaspoon of homemade lemon curd when I got up.

At 7pm felt like a bit of coleslaw with grated cheese. Managed 4 mouthfuls.

It's now 8:30pm and I am going back to the comfort of my warm bed, to listen to a Max Brand western called 'Jim Curry's Compromise.'
Hope I feel better tomorrow.

Callistemon me too grin in this case, changing from winter to summer clothing.

Callistemon Thu 31-Oct-19 09:50:15

Yes, DD said that she was doing the same yesterday BradfordLass - winter to summer!
I must say I like warmer weather and only putting on 3 or 4 garments. grin
Still have to go through my jumpers and I feel like throwing most of them.

I hope you feel better soon.

Nothing exciting planned for today although I must pop into town

BradfordLass72 Fri 01-Nov-19 00:15:41

Up betimes and made a Bakewell Tart and casseroled some lamb neck chops before 7am.

I don't get enough protein, so one of these gave me a boost at lunchtime with some swede.

Put together my shopping list for collection when my homecare lady comes at 2pm.

Also, now it's November, started looking at my Christmas shopping list, which will include gifts such as chocolates for friends.

My ddil has already arranged a subscription to a set of Master Classes my son wishes to take and to which I've made a small contribution. (https://www.masterclass.com)

And for her, I purchased a gift voucher to be used at the Seafood Cooking School (she loves seafood). So it is only really a few presents, easily acquired at the supermarket.

I used to miss wandering round town in winter, choosing gifts, listening to the Salvation Army Band and singing Christmas carols.

There is a special magic to the season which, however hard I try, I cannot feel as strongly in a summer Christmas.

Feeling a bit better but still a bit shaky. I feel old.

whywhywhy Fri 01-Nov-19 00:44:58

I attended a pastel class and we did a white horse. Back home and did tea but felt flat after my busy and exciting day. Then had to see to my poorly pussycat. Did a bit of knitting. Waited for son to arrive. Tired out yet cannot sleep as I feel stressed and fedup. Got a headache now. Night night all. Whoops it's tomorrow now so I did that yesterday. X

Luckygirl Fri 01-Nov-19 09:52:07

Sent most of the day driving (being driven) back from Cornwall through drenching rain and very grey skies - not a pleasure!

Few days in Cornwall were a bit challenging as there were 44 steps between my single room and the suite overlooking the sea where my family were. Pain - ouch - ooch!

BBbevan Fri 01-Nov-19 11:36:08

We were going out today, but it is cold and damp. DH is tired and didn't sleep well last night. So a quiet day today. I have sorted two drawers, done the ironing and will make lunch soon. I shall also light the fire, which will make DH go to sleep instantly.