Gransnet forums

Chat

18th birthday money

(37 Posts)
LlynP Tue 24-Sep-19 12:28:40

Hi, my great-nephew is 18 next month and I would like to give him some cash but have no idea how much it should be. He doesn't live near me and I have little contact with him but we were very close up to when he was about 10 years old as we lived close by.

Any ideas on how much would be reasonable please? I'm not loaded with money but wouldn't want to do anything that might be deemed insulting either.

H1954 Tue 24-Sep-19 22:35:37

Well, bit of a bone of contention with me to be honest! Recently gave a 'relative' £50 for an 18th birthday gift. The card was dropped dismissively, the cash stuffed in a pocket and there was NO acknowledgement! I was disgusted, appalled and extremely hurt. Needless to say, they best not expect anything for their 21st!

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 22:47:30

I've changed my mind too Missadventure. He's not getting anything from me now. ?

MissAdventure Tue 24-Sep-19 22:54:28

What fickle aunties we are! grin

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 23:14:52

Don’t be sorry I am hard up gonegirl that’s rubbish. Be happy that you are not smile

The OP asked for an opinion. You gave yours and I gave mine. End of smile

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 23:15:33

Actually for the record I don’t have any nephews or nieces .

newnanny Wed 25-Sep-19 14:22:18

Also consider if a child has a lot of Aunties and Uncles they will receive gifts from a lot of people but if a child only has one Aunt then less. We could give more but would not as that is what all the Aunties and Uncles give nieces and nephews when 18 in our family and if we gave more it might make others who have less to give look mean when they are not. We give where help where it is needed. One of my sisters is very hard up and cannot help her child at Uni financially but she is still very proud of him. My son chose not to go even though good grades and could have gone so we pay £50 month to niece who is same age as my son for her to pay gas/electricity/internet whilst at Uni as we know most parents do help their children out and did not want her to leave Uni with larger debt than necessary. If her sibling goes we will help him out too. We do not love her any more or less than other nieces and nephews but others do get financial help from parents. Also my sister was very kind to my children when they were small and she was single with more money and used to treat them whilst my husband and I were always broke. Now I feel we can return the favour.

GabriellaG54 Wed 25-Sep-19 17:03:25

newnanny
What a lovely person you are smileflowers

sodapop Wed 25-Sep-19 17:05:52

£50 from me too. That's a reasonable amount for someone you are not close to.

That was rude and hurtful H1954 I certainly wouldn't be giving the relative any more gifts. It's a bit fraught this 18th versus 21st birthday issue which date gets the big present.

AllotmentLil Wed 25-Sep-19 17:25:48

Like Gillybob I think you are all incredibly generous!! I only see two of my great-nieces/nephews and take a little present each time.
My DS and DiL were both 40 this year and got £100 each!
#tightfisted

Gonegirl Wed 25-Sep-19 17:29:26

A hundred is fine AllotmentLil. That's what I give to my grownup lot.

Gonegirl Wed 25-Sep-19 17:30:34

I haven't got any nieces or nephews either. Thank the Lord