Gransnet forums

Chat

Turning the tables on our children!

(22 Posts)
Esther1 Thu 26-Sep-19 17:26:08

When I go into my daughter’s kitchen I march over to the fridge, peer into it mournfully and declare crossly ‘there’s nothing to EAT’ - Ha Ha - just getting my own back as she used to do this as a teenager - ‘nothing to eat’ actually meant no biscuits etc, and as my daughter’s fridge only contains healthy green stuff I am so enjoying getting my own back! How do other Gransnetters get their own back on their children now they have their own homes!

Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 17:35:48

I drink her Prosecco.

Pantglas2 Thu 26-Sep-19 19:13:04

Argh Urmstongran please tell me you don't drink that stuff! And you half Spanish as well (in your habitat at least)! wink

BBbevan Thu 26-Sep-19 19:16:07

I don't feel the need to get my own back ?

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 19:16:36

I've told my DiL the trick of hiding things like choc ices inside an empty frozen brussel sprouts bag.

Nannyxthree Thu 26-Sep-19 19:41:44

When the GC play -up I remind them that they were just as bad when they were the same age!

MamaCaz Thu 26-Sep-19 19:48:02

Ooh, I love the idea of hiding the nice stuff in a frozen veg pack grin

KatyK Thu 26-Sep-19 20:04:17

It's not getting my own back but when she used to complain about the state of DGD's bedroom, I used to think I don't know how you've got the nerve. Hers was always a tip.

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 20:11:25

MamaCaz
I started doing it when I invited some colleagues over for a meal, offered them all some posh ice-cream at the end of the meal, took it out of the freezer to discover there was about a centimetre in the bottom of the tub. My boy had got there first. One of my colleagues asked what his least favourite veg was and suggested it as a strategy....still works and he's in his thirties!

Hetty58 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:00:23

I must admit that I used to hide the choc ices in a fish finger box. They'd all be gone otherwise! I'm very fond of telling them all that their kids are little angels compared to how they were.

My daughter was in a bad mood once and shouted (quite unnecessarily) at my granddaughter. I put my daughter on the naughty step and made her apologise! Of course, my granddaughter was delighted.

pensionpat Thu 26-Sep-19 22:22:51

In the early days of their marriage, when they drove us anywhere, after 5 mins we would call out “Are we there yet” we soon got bored with it though.

BlueSapphire Fri 27-Sep-19 06:33:01

I drink her gin and Prosecco!

NfkDumpling Fri 27-Sep-19 06:59:37

I got told off because I laughed at something naughty my DGS did (a minor, cheeky misdemeanor). So now I put on a scowly face which makes him laugh and we both get into trouble.

Bathsheba Fri 27-Sep-19 07:17:35

I tell my GC all the naughty/silly things their parents did when they were little grin

MamaCaz Fri 27-Sep-19 07:34:42

I don't know about revenge, but there is one way in which the tables have turned - in recent years, they have been known to tell us to stop bickering!

MamaCaz Fri 27-Sep-19 07:38:02

Not that I bicker, of course - it's him! grin

sodapop Fri 27-Sep-19 08:39:26

Yes I did that as well Bathsheba when my grandchildren were young.

GrannySomerset Fri 27-Sep-19 17:08:29

Once they have teenage children I was able to point out that this was nature’s way of getting my own back!

ClareAB Fri 27-Sep-19 19:59:12

My youngest son, who gave me every grey hair on my head, has qualified as a primary school teacher. When he solemnly informed me of the 'importance of boundaries' I couldn't stop laughing. He also maintains that he was 'never that untidy, filthy, naughty etc in front of his fiancee. Again I laugh and give a few examples... we're very close and luckily share the same cruel sense of humour..

Hetty58 Sat 28-Sep-19 03:35:51

I have photo evidence of the state of their teenage rooms - (as well as funny naked toddler pictures, school photos with dodgy haircuts etc.) all stored away for the amusement of the grandchildren!

MamaCaz Sat 28-Sep-19 18:33:23

Ah yes, those teenage rooms. I have photographic proof of that too, Hetty. I' m just waiting for the right time to produce them grin.

Perhaps we could have an online Gransnet competition to decide whose offspring's rooms were the worst, though I didn't have daughters, so don't expect to win on account of no used sanitary towels lying around the floors ( though I did find some equally unsavoury things when I once have to do a deep clean) blush!

Witzend Sun 29-Sep-19 11:26:05

When dd1 in particular was a teen, I was forever saying, 'Why do you have to leave everything to the last minute?' - esp. as regards homework, etc.

Roll on several years, she was home from uni and I was doing an OU course, with an essay due in - as I thought - a few days later.

But once I checked more carefully - eeeek! - it was due in by midnight that night, and it was already at least 5 pm! And this was pre everything done by email - we had to,post them.

My tutor lived on the other side of London, so after a few hours of very hectic essay writing - thank goodness I'd done a bit of preliminary work - off we went off in the car at 11pm to deliver it - dd in her pyjamas with the A to Z, gaily chortling, 'Why do you have to leave everything until the last minute?'