Gransnet forums

Chat

Schadenfreude or They Had It Coming

(30 Posts)
LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 21:09:03

There's a 5mph speed limit on our estate because there are no pavements and it's largely pedestrian. Unfortunately non-residents often use it as a rat run to avoid part of a major road and there's been a hit and run in the last five years (in broad daylight). It was an elderly man whose leg was broken and although he recovered physically his confidence just disappeared overnight sad

This evening someone in a very flash gleaming Audi came screaming through at about 30mph & hit a sleeping policeman. There was a very satisfying crunch, scrape and clattering. He lost his manifold, exhaust and hopefully more besides. Oh my goodness, he really did shout & swear smile especially when he had to put everything on the back seat and he drove off sounding like an old jalopy. Hope he loses his no-claims and all. A couple of people came out and pointed and laughed. Was I one of them? You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment. grin

LondonGranny Mon 30-Sep-19 00:23:02

M0nica, if you scroll up to one of my earlier posts you'll see the issue with 'zappers'.

The emergency services actually demanded a meeting with the Housing Association after two incidents in the space of a month. One, a man with a serious injury who had to be half-walked, half carried off the estate to where the ambulance was parked and once when the fire brigade had to go around banging on doors in the middle of the night to find a car owner with a 'zapper' so they could get the fire engine in to put out a house fire. Luckily the fire was contained in the kitchen because the resident closed the kitchen door before getting out of the house.

GabriellaG54 Mon 30-Sep-19 07:08:24

I try hard to stick to speed limits to respect local residents ?...blah blah.
What a daft comment
You should do it because it's the law, not out of respect.
Regardless of who is tailgating, let them carry on and overtake if they want to get ahead but to let another motorist push you into breaking the law is folly.
If they were to rear-end you, it would be their fault but it would be entirely your fault if you exceeded the limit and were caught, regardless as to whether a vehicle was being driven in such a way as to intimidate you.
Get a rear camera so you are not constantly looking at vehicles behind you except in normal driving mode.
You have to be confident that you're doing the right thing and I suspect that isn't the case.

M0nica Mon 30-Sep-19 08:11:24

LondonGranny.My parents estate did not have this problem because the majority of exits and entrances did not have gates so emergency services could get to incidents anywhere on the estate without needing to use the gated roads.

The only roads with gates were the 2 used by rat runners to exit the estate in the morning and enter the estate in the evening. (I did mention this in my original post.)

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-Sep-19 08:20:45

It serves him right. The only reason we all have to put up with speed bumps is because of these idiots.