Gransnet forums

Chat

Schadenfreude or They Had It Coming

(29 Posts)
stella1949 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:31:38

The estate is mainly pedestrian but there are no pavements for walkers ? So does everyone have to walk on the road ? Very poor planning I'd say. You should write to the council and ask for pavements to be put in.

sunseeker Thu 26-Sep-19 21:21:36

I sympathise. I live in a small village, the speed limit through the village is 20 mph - no-one sticks to it. I have been overtaken, at speed, over the speed bumps and also by someone driving to the right of a keep left bollard!

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 21:13:37

I would add that when the man was injured in the hit and run everyone was pleased that the perpetrator would be caught on CCTV as the estate was bristling with it. It turned out that it hadn't been working for a long time. We'd been paying a fair whack for it in our service charge but the landlords had failed to mention it. The upshot of that was a reduction in rent.

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 21:09:03

There's a 5mph speed limit on our estate because there are no pavements and it's largely pedestrian. Unfortunately non-residents often use it as a rat run to avoid part of a major road and there's been a hit and run in the last five years (in broad daylight). It was an elderly man whose leg was broken and although he recovered physically his confidence just disappeared overnight sad

This evening someone in a very flash gleaming Audi came screaming through at about 30mph & hit a sleeping policeman. There was a very satisfying crunch, scrape and clattering. He lost his manifold, exhaust and hopefully more besides. Oh my goodness, he really did shout & swear smile especially when he had to put everything on the back seat and he drove off sounding like an old jalopy. Hope he loses his no-claims and all. A couple of people came out and pointed and laughed. Was I one of them? You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment. grin