Gransnet forums

Chat

Explain the difference to me please

(58 Posts)
SueH49 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:36:37

Hello everyone,

Firstly let me say I live in Australia and hence my question.

I hear much about various types of housing in the UK. Detached and Semi detached I understand but please explain the difference between a Cottage and a Bungalow.

Here we do not use those descriptions as you do. If someone lives in a Bungalow here it would be a small self contained building in the yard of another house. Probably only one or at best 2 bedrooms.

PamelaJ1 Sun 29-Sep-19 14:24:31

My DD lives in a bungalow (?)in Sydney. It’s on a hill so they have steps down from the veranda to the laundry room- she has a front loading washing machine, her British roots??, store room and garden.
She calls it a bungalow anyway. Would you?

SueH49 Mon 30-Sep-19 00:52:00

PamalaJ1 I suspect your DD calls it a bungalow due to her UK background. Traditionally, here, a bungalow is a separate building in the backyard of a main home. They are usually only one bedroom and I guess a bit like a bedsit. Some have kitchen and laundry facilities but most just bedroom, living room and bathroom. One story and very small. Would not have steps down to another room and would not be the only dwelling on a block. I guess now days they are often called Granny Flats

watermeadow Mon 30-Sep-19 13:11:09

Let’s spread more confusion with terraced houses (or cottages) I live at the end of a small terrace, which means it’s colder but worth more than a mid terrace. My friend insists it’s semi-detached, because it’s only joined on one side. To me semi-detached means a pair of houses (worth more than a terraced house). Detached means garden all round and worth most of all!

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Sep-19 13:31:04

Ours is an end terrace. But for insurance quotes I sometimes have to say it’s semi-detached as one of the little diagrams for that category shows an end terrace. End terrace will do for me at any other time though!

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Sep-19 13:33:22

I agree with you though, watermeadow. An inner terrace can be very cosy!

MiniMoon Mon 30-Sep-19 14:08:57

I've seen Mako Mermaids!? Zac lives in a bungalow in his parents' garden, so I know what you mean.

I live in a detached bungalow, it's classed as such, but it has two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs, which to me is a house, but hey ho!

It's also timber framed, and for the purposes of insurance it's a shed. confused?

PamelaJ1 Mon 30-Sep-19 16:59:25

MiniMoon sounds interesting.
How much to insure a shed??