Gransnet forums

Chat

Explain the difference to me please

(57 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 27-Sep-19 08:28:15

To me a cottage is a small one story,possibly used by workers in the country. A bungalow is also one story although a chalet bungalow can have an upstairs.

MamaCaz Fri 27-Sep-19 08:00:00

Plenty of semi-detached or even terraced 'cottages' in my area. Originally built as farm workers cottages, I am told (many of these local ones, I mean).

Bungalow is equally difficult, because there are also 'dormer' bungalows that have an upstairs!

I'm not surprised you are confused by this, SueH49, and I don't think we natives are going to give you a clear, united response grin

LullyDully Fri 27-Sep-19 07:58:11

Yes a bungalow is one storey. A cottage is a variety of things in my experience. A stereotypical one is small, old , with a thatch and roses round the door. But some cottages seem to be quite big.

tanith Fri 27-Sep-19 07:56:26

Cottages are normally smaller older two story buildings in a village sometimes thatched in a rural setting but there are more modern buildings in towns that are also called cottages.

Bungalows are single story houses that can have any amount of rooms it can be detached or semi detached.

Confusing isn’t it? I think the meaning of the words has become very blurred in recent times.

travelsafar Fri 27-Sep-19 07:53:19

Why not google? There would be pictures no doubt so you would have a visual point of reference as well as an explanation. smile

Pantglas2 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:53:14

A cottage is usually detached and will always have stairs whereas a bungalow will never have stairs. It’s a Hindi word meaning one floor dwelling (I think)

SueH49 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:36:37

Hello everyone,

Firstly let me say I live in Australia and hence my question.

I hear much about various types of housing in the UK. Detached and Semi detached I understand but please explain the difference between a Cottage and a Bungalow.

Here we do not use those descriptions as you do. If someone lives in a Bungalow here it would be a small self contained building in the yard of another house. Probably only one or at best 2 bedrooms.