Gransnet forums

Chat

Any Welsh speakers here?

(33 Posts)
LondonGranny Fri 27-Sep-19 15:38:23

I'm starting to learn Welsh because I would get lots of opportunity to use it because if I'm not in London, chances are I'm in a Welsh-speaking area (no, not Patagonia!). My question is when pronunciation varies from North to South Wales, is it written differently too?

midgey Fri 27-Sep-19 18:10:13

The welsh for microwave is poppity ping! Thought that might come in handy?

LondonGranny Fri 27-Sep-19 18:19:00

btw, there was a lovely little Welsh chapel a spit from Ealing Studios. I hope it's still going. It'll definitely still be there because I know pretty much everything on the same road is a listed building but I fear, like so many churches, it will now be 'luxury' flats.
goes to google street view with trepidation.....

Ellianne Fri 27-Sep-19 18:20:18

Funny words, that reminds me my mum always used to say, "he's/she's a bit tup" I assumed it meant silly?

Pantglas2 Fri 27-Sep-19 18:20:51

Nope- it’s popty (oven) ping!

Pantglas2 Fri 27-Sep-19 18:22:24

It’s twp Ellianne and yes it means stupid. - twpsyn would be a stupid person

Ellianne Fri 27-Sep-19 18:28:20

Diolch Pantglas. That's all you'll get out of me though we could start a correspondence course?!

LondonGranny Fri 27-Sep-19 18:39:18

Pantglas2
I though popty ping was apocryphal. I so hope that's not the case.
btw the Welsh chapel near Ealing Studios is still there and functioning as a chapel but looks really different to how I remember it forty-odd years ago. There was a large tree or hedge (holly I think) obscuring the building and it was darker and somehow mysterious and there was a really beautiful sign by the entrance, gold writing on black. It looks quite ordinary now sad. I did notice that two of the posher villas on the same road have Welsh names though. Wrexham Lodge and Morgan House.