Gransnet forums

Chat

grieving sister in law

(30 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 29-Sep-19 08:17:53

How can i help my dearest SIL. My youngest brother died on her birthday last year just before Christmas. I think things are really starting to hit home. She has been keeping herself busy doing stuff in the house, then there was the birth of a new grandchild and she had booked a holiday with others for next month but due to TC collapse that is now not happening. MY dear brother's birthday is coming up soon plus the 1st anniversary of his death and her 1st birthday without him. Combined with the darker evenings and the winter months looming i think she is starting to feel really down. I stay in touch and go see her as much as i can and she is going on holiday with myself and my sister next year. I just feel so much for her and want to help her but not sure what to do. Any advise please. sad

travelsafar Tue 01-Oct-19 16:49:12

thank you all for the lovely replies, i knew i could rely on Gransnetters to help me. smile

TyneAngel Tue 01-Oct-19 16:52:26

My oldest friend texts or WhatsApps me first and last thing every day, more if it's a bad day. I can't tell you how much this means to me, and I now do it for others, especially in the early stages of grief. Ask her if she'd like this. Good luck,

grandtanteJE65 Tue 01-Oct-19 17:08:59

My sympathy to you both.

Could you perhaps invite your SIL for a short stay to coincide with the anniversaries of his birthday and his death? You might both find it comforting to be someone who is also missing him and grieving for him, as you will certainly both be think of him on both days.

Tell her that she is welcome to ring whenever she is missing him especially much as you understand completely.

trendygran Tue 01-Oct-19 20:25:31

I lost my husband very suddenly 11 years ago next Sunday.,followed 16 months later by the suicide of my younger daughter,aged 33 and the mother of two then very young daughters., Now 14 and almost 12.Those two lovely girls and my elder daughter are my only ‘blood’ ‘ family.My other two lovely grandchildren are adopted.I think you are doing the right thing by just being there for your SIL. My two SILs were 20+ years older than my DH and both gone before him.
I soon found out who my real friends were and it was good to know they were there to talk to ,although they all still had their partners. Being alone remains difficult with ‘only the walls ‘ to talk to at home. I think your SIL is fortunate to have you ,even though neither you ,nor anyone else can perform magic to take away the pain. Just being there for her counts for a great deal I believe.