Gransnet forums

Chat

Everyone looks twelve

(55 Posts)
morethan2 Mon 30-Sep-19 17:48:41

That’s it really. Suddenly everyone looks twelve.
We’re having some work done and new kitchen and a kitchen fitter has just been. I kept thinking “I hope you know what your doing sonny” when he mentioned getting home to his wife because it was his 7th wedding anniversary.
What with that and suddenly not being able to open food packaging I’m must be getting old...oh and a Very kind younger women gave up her seat on the underground for me the other day so I must be looking old too. I’m only 66and 3/4 grin

Oopsminty Wed 02-Oct-19 12:29:12

Ha, GrandmaMoira. They are funny, aren't they? My 8 year old grandson thinks I'm 38. The 10 year old reckons I must be getting on for 90.

Auntieflo Wed 02-Oct-19 12:25:43

Wow, one of the Dr's who came to see me yesterday, looked hardly that.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 02-Oct-19 11:49:48

When my dentist started (first post after uni I learned) I was really shocked when I first saw him as he really did look about 12. That must have been about 15 years ago and he still looks the same to me (bless him, he’s lovely)!

GrandmaMoira Wed 02-Oct-19 11:42:46

My DGD found it hard to understand that I am not the same age as the Queen. She believes I am very, very old so it was a struggle for her to accept that two of the Queen's children are older than me. Philip is the same age as my late father.

maryhoffman37 Wed 02-Oct-19 10:37:51

I'm a writer for children and sometimes do school visits. One dear little boy asked if I used to write with a feather! (I am not THAT old)

Grannybags Wed 02-Oct-19 10:00:59

I knew I was old when I saw Mick Jagger on the History channel!!

LondonGranny Wed 02-Oct-19 09:48:16

Kim19
Easier than puncturing the lid is to turn it upside down and knock it smartly (not the edge, the whole top) on the table. I've seen young strong men grappling to get a lid off, I gently take the jar, do my trick and BINGO!

Lumarei Wed 02-Oct-19 09:28:10

MamaCaz, a joke but sooo true. When I go home to visit parents (I left the small town 30 years ago) I catch myself trying to recognise people in the street and have to remind myself that I have to look at old (balding) people to do so.
Also I now know more people in the cemetery than in the streets.

Chestnut Tue 01-Oct-19 16:41:46

Haha. I told the chap at our local Garage I used to be a Mod in the 1960s... and he said he'd done Mods as part of his History exam course !
Love this! Yes, we are all ancient history now.....

I think children struggle to understand time, which is why they ask if we were around during the war or remember Queen Victoria etc. Anything over 20 years probably means little to them. I have made a 20th century spreadsheet which shows special dates, WW2, Beatles, Coronation, Elvis death, birth of family members, or anything they might relate to. I hope it will help them better understand time and the passing of years.

grannybuy Tue 01-Oct-19 15:52:56

We had a new social worker call at the house to see my AS who has Learning difficulties. He was wearing skinny jeans and canvas shoes and looked no more than fourteen. I have to say, though, that he was very efficient. I was amused, later, to hear another parent referring to him as ' Barry the Kid '!

Conni7 Tue 01-Oct-19 15:24:37

"Did they have electricity when you were a girl, Mummy?" said my daughter many years ago.

Kim19 Tue 01-Oct-19 13:49:34

Little tip I want to share which has proven wonderful for me. For difficult jar tops, simply puncture the top (I use a pointed knife) to release the vacuum and stick a piece of tape over the incision immediately.

Anniebach Tue 01-Oct-19 13:44:29

Never surprised me to be considered aged, when 31 my
5 year old elder daughter asked me if I had ever seen Queen
Victoria

gulligranny Tue 01-Oct-19 13:32:48

One of the things I embrace about being old (74 next week) is that I am always offered a seat on the Tube when I go into London. Long may that continue!

In M&S the other day the young lady assistant was telling me that she'd just been on a cruise; I told her that I had been on a cruise 50 years ago, when my 3 friends and I were the only single girls on the ship and what a fabulous time we'd had. She said she didn't realise cruises happened all that time ago.... Sigh.

MamaCaz Tue 01-Oct-19 12:04:21

I remember a joke that might be appropriate here:

A woman was at the dentists, and it suddenly occurred to her that she had been at school with someone with the same name as the dentist
"It can't have been him though", she thought, look in at the elderly, balding man who stood over her, "he's far too old, way older than I am".

However, before leaving the room she saw his certificate on the wall, and the dates made it perfectly possible that it could actually be the same person.

She tentatively said "I think you might have been in my class at school!"

He looked her up and down, thought for a moment, then asked, "What subject did you teach?"

Lancslass1 Tue 01-Oct-19 11:59:49

I was once asked by a pupil at the school where I taught ,what I had thought of the abdication of Edward 8th when it happened -several years before I was born I might add!

SueDonim Tue 01-Oct-19 11:35:19

Dh and I have just been to Australia on holiday. After booking into our hotel in Melbourne we went out for an evening walk to stretch our legs after the long journey. We saw no one over the age of thirty! Then I remembered that some part of Australia have euthanasia and dh and I thought it might be for the best if we scuttled back to our hotel before anyone noticed us 'oldies'. grin

Next day we did see some older people but that evening was really quite disconcerting!

TrendyNannie6 Tue 01-Oct-19 11:20:45

I think that most of the drs now look so young a sign of me getting older, we were talking about age and my daughter said mum do you remember when I was little and nana was ironing on a table n I said what are you doing! I’m ironing she said doesn’t mummy iron like this and I said no she’s not old enough, lol I was 25 at the time

Newatthis Tue 01-Oct-19 11:09:55

We had a locum in our surgery who had gone to the same university as our youngest daughter and was in the same year. My saving grace was that the university had an excellent medical department!

4allweknow Tue 01-Oct-19 10:59:18

The small print, cellophane, jar tops all a nightmare. Haven't really noticed folk offering me a seat but I would consider it being polite. I have noticed my ASs being just a tad protective when we are out eg putting arm across in front if waiting to cross the road or perhaps its just habit with their children. No one in authority seems to be older than 20 these days.

jenni123 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:53:47

I did smile Morethan when I saw you are 66 3/4, I remember little children adding the 1/2 or 3/4. so that would make me 77 3/4. the years fly by now.

mrsHom Tue 01-Oct-19 10:50:27

Twenty years ago when I was 55 and teaching, one of my pupils asked me, 'Was you in the war Miss?' I was, but as a baby. Another time, I said seriously, 'Of course, when I was a child, we didn't have chairs - we had to sit on rocks.' Not one of the children challenged me on this. Nothing like children to make you feel old! Of course it will only get worse now that we have all this technology which we didn't have even ten years ago. At about the same time, my 80 year old father went into sheltered housing, where he found that his neighbour was an old girl friend from sixty years ago. I couldn't understand her hostility when I met her. She thought I was his wife - her usurper. She had cataracts of course, but still...

Hetty58 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:45:48

polnan, I suspect that we're all told that. Nobody's going to tell us we look older, are they?

Hetty58 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:44:06

Oh and being pounced upon by a group of young Christians when cautiously (bad back) tying my dogs lead on a low bar at the shop:

'Would you like us to pray for you? Maybe for relief of aches and pains?' they said.

'No thanks', I said 'I have no pains, - except you!'

polnan Tue 01-Oct-19 10:40:40

Laugh and the world laughs with you, comes to mind!
but then I am told that I don`t look my age, ie. look younger!